Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 05:03 PM)
It was pretty stupid for OSU to do that. Thought even you'd admit that.

To celebrate the team? Why? Having Krenzel, Grant, Gamble etc on the field is awesome. Their invite was late to Tressel and he barely came The players loved him and celebrated him. It was meant for the players, and the fans at the stadium not for the fans of every other team. I think celebrating the 10 year anniversary of one of the greatest teams ever to stop on the field in the Big Ten was an awesome idea.

Maybe it was too soon for some for Tressel to even be invited, but quite honestly, he's going to be revered at some time. This wasnt enabling child rape and he did alot for the community and ultimately brought on his own downfall and paid the price. People are going to love him regardless of what other fans think.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 06:12 PM)
39 points a game isn't "too much" in your opinion?

When Alabama has given up >17 points 1 time this season, yeah that's a big line. I get why it's the line, since there's going to be a ton of money coming in on Notre Dame because they're Notre Dame, but that's a line I'd jump at the under on and feel content even if I lost.

That is a ton of points for a team that doesn't score too much.

Alabama scores plenty, but ND is giving up an average of 11 points per game so a line of 10 points is ridiculous.

Oklahoma, USC, and Michigan are all pretty potent offenses that couldn't manage more than 13 points against ND.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
They actually honored the 10 year anniversary of the 2002 title team, and they lifted up the Vest. The celebration wasn't for you anyway.

And as a Michigan fan, I'd expect hate from you.

I would think that as a fan of any team, even if it was mine. Tressel should not have been invited, plain and simple. There were fans in the stands with love for Tresel. But your stance just validates my point. It's either complete delusion or stupidity, from the president and AD on down, choose whichever you prefer.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)
Alabama scores plenty, but ND is giving up an average of 11 points per game so a line of 10 points is ridiculous.

Oklahoma, USC, and Michigan are all pretty potent offenses that couldn't manage more than 13 points against ND.

USC was starting a freshman at QB, Oklahoma plays in the Big 12 (which refuses to play defense except for K State who they scored 19 against), and Michigan was really inconsistent (9 points against Nebraska?).

ND no doubt has a really, really good defense, but a big factor to their D is their line usually winning the LOS battle. That's not going to be so easy against Bama. At all. Bama will easily be the best O-Line they face all year (IMO). I think that's going to be the deciding factor. That on top of NDs inability to move the ball on Bama should lead to a double digit win I think.

Kelly could come out with some sort of wrinkle on offense, but I just can't picture them having any success on offense.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 05:28 PM)

I'm not sure I would include Michigan in that group. Their offense was potent against teams with average athletes and average defenses only.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 06:14 PM)
I would think that as a fan of any team, even if it was mine. Tressel should not have been invited, plain and simple. There were fans in the stands with love for Tresel. But your stance just validates my point. It's either complete delusion or stupidity, from the president and AD on down, choose whichever you prefer.

Lol, whatever buddy. "Choose" your preference if it makes you feel any better. Frankly if you are this upset about a non-televised celebration of a former team for the home audience then its your prerogative.

For me, yesterday was bliss. Perfect record after going through hell last year, showing dominance over Michigan once again, and everything is looking up. Now on to bball.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 25, 2012 -> 06:53 PM)
Lol, whatever buddy. "Choose" your preference if it makes you feel any better. Frankly if you are this upset about a non-televised celebration of a former team for the home audience then its your prerogative.

For me, yesterday was bliss. Perfect record after going through hell last year, showing dominance over Michigan once again, and everything is looking up. Now on to bball.

I missed the dominance part, but whatever.

Yeah it was dumb to invite Tresel back, especially since he is the reason your current undefeated team is missing a BCS game. But, fans of every team are for the large part dumb and biased so of course they are going to cheer him, hell Penn State fans would still cheer Paterno if he was still alive and brought back to celebrate a team. OSU definitely didn't dominate that game but OSU ran the table with a team that wasn't very high in talent when compared to the kind of recruits Meyer is going to bring in the future, so it is cause for concern for Michigan and rest of the Big Ten.

If Alabama makes it to the National Championship game like they should, I'd take them to cover. Look, I'm rooting for Notre Dame. I hate Alabama. But having watched both teams quite a bit this year, Bama is superior. And not that this actually means anything, but since the BCS started in '98, if you picked every SEC team who made it to the NC game to cover the spread, you'd have won every time. Betting on the SEC in a National Championship game = money.

On that note, Notre Dame continues to find ways to win and everything seems to have gone their way this year, so it almost seems like destiny for them to win.

USC was starting a freshman at QB, Oklahoma plays in the Big 12 (which refuses to play defense except for K State who they scored 19 against), and Michigan was really inconsistent (9 points against Nebraska?).

ND no doubt has a really, really good defense, but a big factor to their D is their line usually winning the LOS battle. That's not going to be so easy against Bama. At all. Bama will easily be the best O-Line they face all year (IMO). I think that's going to be the deciding factor. That on top of NDs inability to move the ball on Bama should lead to a double digit win I think.

Kelly could come out with some sort of wrinkle on offense, but I just can't picture them having any success on offense.

Stanford's offensive line is awfully good. You can keep the blinders on as much as you want, nobody should be a 10 point favorite over a team with ND's defense.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
Stanford's offensive line is awfully good. You can keep the blinders on as much as you want, nobody should be a 10 point favorite over a team with ND's defense.

Well then bet the house on ND if you are so sure.

The spread isn't always about what Vegas thinks will happen. It depends on the betting public and if everyone thinks that Bama would crush ND, they have to set the line in Bama's favor to protect themselves.

Well then bet the house on ND if you are so sure.

The spread isn't always about what Vegas thinks will happen. It depends on the betting public and if everyone thinks that Bama would crush ND, they have to set the line in Bama's favor to protect themselves.

The betting public make Oklahoma a 13-point favorite over ND.

A lot of this depends on how Bama plays against Georgia. Although Aaron Murray has played very well this season, he has a penchant for struggling terribly against elite defenses. I don't expect that to change. I think Bama soundly beats Georgia in the SEC title game.

I think a Bama-ND line opens at 8.5-9.5 with a total in the mid-40's.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)

Blinders on? You do realize that every single one of Bama's offensive lineman has a chance to play in the NFL, right (the lone question mark is Steen)? Jones, Fluker, and Warmack all will likely go in the top 50 of the draft this year. Cyrus Kouandjio, who is so talented that he made Bama move Jones (last year's Outland Award winner at LT) to center, will also be playing on Sundays in two years.

Yes, but I'm the one with the blinders on.

You also haven't really talked about how ND can effectively move the ball and score against Bama's defense.

You basically ignored my points, claimed that Stanford has a good O-Line, and said that I was wearing blinders. Cool.

Edited by Boogua

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 12:40 PM)
Blinders on? You do realize that every single one of Bama's offensive lineman has a chance to play in the NFL, right (the lone question mark is Steen)? Jones, Fluker, and Warmack all will likely go in the top 50 of the draft this year. Cyrus Kouandjio, who is so talented that he made Bama move Jones (last year's Outland Award winner at LT) to center, will also be playing on Sundays in two years.

Yes, but I'm the one with the blinders on.

You also haven't really talked about how ND can effectively move the ball and score against Bama's defense.

You basically ignored my points, claimed that Stanford has a good O-Line, and said that I was wearing blinders. Cool.

Bama played an easier road compared to ND if you really look at it. 2 ranked teams, beat one. I think it would be very difficult to say anyone has blinders on at this point since it's very hard to say one thing or another about the quality of the teams that MAY play in the title game. Maybe after the SEC championship game we will know more because that will be the toughest test for both Bama and Georgia all year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
Bama played an easier road compared to ND if you really look at it. 2 ranked teams, beat one. I think it would be very difficult to say anyone has blinders on at this point since it's very hard to say one thing or another about the quality of the teams that MAY play in the title game. Maybe after the SEC championship game we will know more because that will be the toughest test for both Bama and Georgia all year.

It really depends on how you look at it.

First of all, I count 3 ranked teams for both of them (Michigan, Oklahoma, and Stanford for ND and Michigan, TAMU, and LSU for Bama). Second of all, Pitt (who was the let down game and a game that ND should have lost) came after Oklahoma. LSU was followed by TAMU for Bama. To me that's tougher. Just my opinion though.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
It really depends on how you look at it.

First of all, I count 3 ranked teams for both of them (Michigan, Oklahoma, and Stanford for ND and Michigan, TAMU, and LSU for Bama). Second of all, Pitt (who was the let down game and a game that ND should have lost) came after Oklahoma. LSU was followed by TAMU for Bama. To me that's tougher. Just my opinion though.

I think when teams play an FCS school it kills their SOS