Official 2012-2013 NCAA Football Thread

I care more about beating Big 10 teams than SEC teams. If Wisconsin got a chance at a NC and it was against an SEC team that would be the most important game in school history, it would still be the most important even if they were playing Boise State.

NC and Bowl games are fun, but I live in a Big 10 city, where most of the people I know are fans of Big 10 schools, its really only bowl season where people talk about the SEC at all.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
Sure it does. It prevents the Big 10 from hardly ever winning BCS bowl games, much less National Championships. Therefore, you should care. It's the one league that stands in your way of being the best.

Yes, we care about teams, but dont care about SEC hillbillies laughing at anything. It amazes me that the teams and fans in the SEC band together like they are all superior, its 1 or 2 teams that are good, the rest of you are in the main bucket like everyone else.

dasox, I think what is different about the Big Ten and its fans is that the most important things are winning the conference title and playing in the Rose Bowl. It goes back to the days that the bowl games were a reward. Yes, the coaches and players want to win, but a win or loss in bowl games really doesn't change their season or affect the next season. In their minds the season is already judged on the first 12 games. This is a concept that SEC fans and media can't grasp (or refuse to).

Unless that mentality changes, then they are never going to be on the same page. I can't speak for the Pac-12 but my guess is their philosophy aligns with the Big Ten's more so than others.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Yes, we care about teams, but dont care about SEC hillbillies laughing at anything. It amazes me that the teams and fans in the SEC band together like they are all superior, its 1 or 2 teams that are good, the rest of you are in the main bucket like everyone else.

Considering SEC teams have won National Championships in the past six years and there are 5 SEC teams ranked in the top 9 of ESPN's pre-season poll, I would have to disagree.

The strength of the SEC lies in their talent. While recruiting star rankings aren't always accurate 4 years later there is a significant difference in the # of top players going to SEC teams. I looked back at the conference rankings the past six years and was surprised to find that the Big Ten was 5th out of the top six conferences, even behind the ACC. Here is how the #'s broke out from 2007-2012...

Conf 5* 4*

SEC 105 488

Pac 12 57 313

Big 12 52 274

ACC 45 250

Big East 16 98

Edit: sorry I can't figure out how to format the list to align properly

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 12:34 PM)
Sure it does. It prevents the Big 10 from hardly ever winning BCS bowl games, much less National Championships. Therefore, you should care. It's the one league that stands in your way of being the best.

Well, and the Big 12.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)

"SEC hillbillies?" That's mature, Rock.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 09:58 PM)
"SEC hillbillies?" That's mature, Rock.

Huh? How is that immature? I am saying that's how SEC football fans are viewed primarily, and nobody on any message boards I frequent has given a crap about what SEC fans think about Delany. Our priority is to win a conference title and run the table, if that happens the odds are good a Big Ten team gets into the championship game. About then is when the SEC will actually matter as a conference, and the fans chanting for their conference never matters.

And Rex, obviously I was exaggerating, but thanks for the research.

It didn't, but it did surprise me that the SEC had almost double the number of 5* recruits than the next best conference and almost 3x as many as the Big Ten. The number differential of Top 100 players was huge too, but I couldn't be accurate because somehow Scout's 2011 rankings added to 172 top 100 players among the conferences. The other years were 99 or 100 with one exception of 103 in 2009. So I couldn't be sure how many Top 100 players each conference had. But with the exception of 2008, the SEC had between 30-35% of the Top 100. The rest spread out between the other conferences.

Another random note the Big East had 16 5* recruits, but 9 of those were in 2007 & 2008, illustrating even more how far they've fallen.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 10:28 AM)
It didn't, but it did surprise me that the SEC had almost double the number of 5* recruits than the next best conference and almost 3x as many as the Big Ten. The number differential of Top 100 players was huge too, but I couldn't be accurate because somehow Scout's 2011 rankings added to 172 top 100 players among the conferences. The other years were 99 or 100 with one exception of 103 in 2009. So I couldn't be sure how many Top 100 players each conference had. But with the exception of 2008, the SEC had between 30-35% of the Top 100. The rest spread out between the other conferences.

Another random note the Big East had 16 5* recruits, but 9 of those were in 2007 & 2008, illustrating even more how far they've fallen.

Some of that ranking stuff is also skewed by the ranking services themselves. The SEC has been doing work lately and I think everyone knows that but historically the Big Ten has actually produced more first round draft picks. It will be interesting to see how the conference realignment etc affects this moving forward and we'll see if the talent distribution is really cyclical like it has been or if the SEC with its sheer size continues to dominate.

You cant trust those star ratings.

Rivals and Scout make a ton of money off of the SEC premium websites/boards. The Big 10 teams dont nearly spend as much. Its why you see a guy who is a 3* and then commits to LSU and becomes a 4* over night.

There are some articles about conference distribution in the pros and I think the SEC has a slight edge, but not nearly as much as they do in recruiting.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:48 AM)
Huh? How is that immature? I am saying that's how SEC football fans are viewed primarily, and nobody on any message boards I frequent has given a crap about what SEC fans think about Delany. Our priority is to win a conference title and run the table, if that happens the odds are good a Big Ten team gets into the championship game. About then is when the SEC will actually matter as a conference, and the fans chanting for their conference never matters.

And Rex, obviously I was exaggerating, but thanks for the research.

Yeah, I know how SEC football fans are viewed by Northerners. I'm from Ohio originally and all my relatives live in the Midwest. But, I'm just saying you're obviously trying to take some sort of shot by using that terminology and implying that all SEC fans are hillbillies (and essentially, slow and stupid). Otherwise, you would have just said SEC "fans" in your earlier post.

On a lighter note, I believe the term you're looking for is "Redneck." Hillbillies are reserved to hill country, which is essentially Eastern Kentucky and East Tennessee in SEC country. Rednecks are pretty much throughout the rest of the South.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
Yeah, I know how SEC football fans are viewed by Northerners. I'm from Ohio originally and all my relatives live in the Midwest. But, I'm just saying you're obviously trying to take some sort of shot by using that terminology and implying that all SEC fans are hillbillies (and essentially, slow and stupid). Otherwise, you would have just said SEC "fans" in your earlier post.

On a lighter note, I believe the term you're looking for is "Redneck." Hillbillies are reserved to hill country, which is essentially Eastern Kentucky and East Tennessee in SEC country. Rednecks are pretty much throughout the rest of the South.

I'm not taking a shot at you dude, just the general impression of SEC fans that most of us have. s***, thats the impression half the Big Ten have about OSU fans. BUt really, we dont care as much about conference pride as the SEC does for better or for worse. In fact, its very hard for Big Ten football fans to root for each other even in bowl games.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
You cant trust those star ratings.

Rivals and Scout make a ton of money off of the SEC premium websites/boards. The Big 10 teams dont nearly spend as much. Its why you see a guy who is a 3* and then commits to LSU and becomes a 4* over night.

There are some articles about conference distribution in the pros and I think the SEC has a slight edge, but not nearly as much as they do in recruiting.

I don't buy that argument at all. I would counter that six straight national championships seem to support the numbers. Not all players become NFL'ers. It's possible that two teams could have the same number of guys who land in the NFL, but there be a great difference in the next level of players.

The bottom line is if you sign that many top players, your margin for error is MUCH lower. There are now at least four ranking services and opinions vary greatly between them. Sure there are biases, just as there are anywhere in life. But the national guys who do the rankings are trying to get it right, not cowtow to subscription bases. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. But I have zero doubt that the scout guys would prefer to have more accurate rankings than Rivals and vice versa.

And as far as your LSU example, that happens all the time with Big Ten schools too. Rankings are consistently updated. There is a definite slant early to the kids that camp as junors. They are seen more. Kids that don't are evaluated on their HS film. Time keeps them from evaluating every piece of film right away. Sometimes they don't get film on kids until they become known, which often means offers from big time programs.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:09 PM)
I'm not taking a shot at you dude, just the general impression of SEC fans that most of us have. s***, thats the impression half the Big Ten have about OSU fans. BUt really, we dont care as much about conference pride as the SEC does for better or for worse. In fact, its very hard for Big Ten football fans to root for each other even in bowl games.

Gotcha... I'm the same way with certain SEC teams. I always root against Florida and Georgia, and now Vandy has crept into that mix simply b/c their Head Coach is a jackass. Otherwise, I tend to root for the rest of the conference.

I have a story you might like about Columbus and how much that city loves Ohio St:

My family lived in Columbus for 15 years, and one night my dad overheard my sister (who was 9 yrs old at the time) singing the Ohio St fight song when she was laying in bed. Of course, he was a bit miffed and had no idea why she'd be singing that. Apparently, they had been teaching the OSU fight song in school during music class. As an Illinois grad, it's safe to say my Dad was not pleased.

Oh, and when I was in elementary school, we used to have "Scarlet and Gray" days on Fridays during football season. Everybody was supposed to wear those colors, and if you didn't, the other kids would give you a really hard time.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
Love the Northwestern one.

Don't really get Illinois, though. Are there really that many meth labs in the state? I had no idea.

Illinois one is stupid, was hoping for a lot better than that. Just not really relevant to the school.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 11:13 AM)
Illinois one is stupid, was hoping for a lot better than that. Just not really relevant to the school.

That's kind of what I thought. Really disappointing considering how good some of those others were.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 12:09 PM)
Gotcha... I'm the same way with certain SEC teams. I always root against Florida and Georgia, and now Vandy has crept into that mix simply b/c their Head Coach is a jackass. Otherwise, I tend to root for the rest of the conference.

I have a story you might like about Columbus and how much that city loves Ohio St:

My family lived in Columbus for 15 years, and one night my dad overheard my sister (who was 9 yrs old at the time) singing the Ohio St fight song when she was laying in bed. Of course, he was a bit miffed and had no idea why she'd be singing that. Apparently, they had been teaching the OSU fight song in school during music class. As an Illinois grad, it's safe to say my Dad was not pleased.

Oh, and when I was in elementary school, we used to have "Scarlet and Gray" days on Fridays during football season. Everybody was supposed to wear those colors, and if you didn't, it was safe to say the other kids would give you a really hard time.

I didn't think it was possible, but this post has increased my hatred for OSU.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
I didn't think it was possible, but this post has increased my hatred for OSU.

LOL. Thats the life not only in columbus but most of Ohio. If you rolled the Bears, bulls, hawks cubs and whitesox into one team that would be how much the people there love the Buckeyes. It's insane.

So your Dad sent your sister to a public school in Columbus and was upset that she was exposed to the OSU fight song?

Did he also send her to summer camp in Wisconsin and get upset that she ate cheese?

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
Love the Northwestern one.

Don't really get Illinois, though. Are there really that many meth labs in the state? I had no idea.

I know they cracked down on them but yes Illinois had a ton of meth labs. Not in Chicago area but rest of the state.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 12:06 PM)
So your Dad sent your sister to a public school in Columbus and was upset that she was exposed to the OSU fight song?

Did he also send her to summer camp in Wisconsin and get upset that she ate cheese?

I mean, it's not like he was so furious that he complained to the school or anything. But, yeah, he was definitely annoyed. And I feel like teaching the kids the OSU fight song during class is a little overboard - I consider that to be more than just being "exposed" to the song.

Edited by dasox24

• 3 weeks later...

A playoff system is on it's way... and I already dont like it. Sorry, 4 teams decided by a committee doesnt sit right with me.

BCS Presidential Oversight Committee approves four-team playoff

The committee has approved a model with a selection committee selecting the four teams. The committee will rank the four playoff teams based on win-loss record, strength of schedule, head-to-head record, and if a team is a conference champion. CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy reported last week that the committee would place an "emphasis" on conference champions.

According to Virginia Tech President Charles Steger, the playoff will occur within the existing bowl structure.

----------

The semifinal games will rotate among six different bowl games. BCS Executive Director Bill Hancock informed the media that the six bowl games were chosen to make the rotations easy for the length of the new deal: 12 years.

The specific rotation for the six semifinals over the next 12 years has not been determined at this time. The four BCS bowls (Orange, Rose, Fiesta, Sugar) plus possibly the Champions Bowl or Cotton Bowl are likely candidates, but the specific six bowls were not identified either.

While the semifinals will be held at existing bowls, the dates of those bowls will be moved back to accommodate the seminfials before the new national championship game. One of the semifinals will be held on New Years Eve, the other on New Years Day.

Also left to be determined includes how the selection committee will be chosen, the name of the new event (feel free to leave your personal suggestions in the comments below), and how the revenue will be distributed among the conferences.

Sources told CBSSports.com last week that the commissioners were considering dividing the revenue based on the league's past performances. Specifically Top 25 finishes in the final BCS rankings since 1998, the first year of the BCS.

Using that model would likely create a divide between five power conferences (SEC, Big 12, Pac-12, Big Ten, and ACC) and the rest of the leagues. According to Brett McMurphy, where the Big East is grouped could depend on Boise State's decision to join the conference.