The EJAX to Washington

Steve9347

1 year "around 10 million".

Nationals signed RHP Edwin Jackson to a one-year contract.

The Nationals have announced the signing, though it is pending a physical. Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that he'll make somewhere in the range of $10 million.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/mlb/348...h-edwin-jackson

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:53 AM)
That is a very solid team with a great rotation.

That finished 21.5 games out of the division last year. The White Sox finished 16 games out.

Yeah, they're getting better, but that's a challenging division where everyone other than the Mets are spending money, they got a couple astonishing performances last year that might not be replciated, and can you tell me how much you can count on Stras's arm?

If you're going to take a 1 year deal to "Compete", it's Boston and you know that. Unless you also want to pitch in the NL to improve your ERA, and also pitch in a big ballpark for the same reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
That finished 21.5 games out of the division last year. The White Sox finished 16 games out.

Yeah, they're getting better, but that's a challenging division where everyone other than the Mets are spending money, they got a couple astonishing performances last year that might not be replciated, and can you tell me how much you can count on Stras's arm?

If you're going to take a 1 year deal to "Compete", it's Boston and you know that. Unless you also want to pitch in the NL to improve your ERA, and also pitch in a big ballpark for the same reason.

Apparently this off season didn't happen?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 09:03 AM)
Apparently this off season didn't happen?

Yes they added some pieces, but the non-Mets in their division can have confidence going into the year too. The Braves are young and talented, the Marlins have spent a fortune and hired a manager who will win them a world series within the next 2 years, the Phils have lost Howard for a good while which is their real opening, but they also probably upgraded their bullpen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
Yes they added some pieces, but the non-Mets in their division can have confidence going into the year too. The Braves are young and talented, the Marlins have spent a fortune and hired a manager who will win them a world series within the next 2 years, the Phils have lost Howard for a good while which is their real opening, but they also probably upgraded their bullpen.

No one did better than Washington, and that is with out the Bryce Harper factor.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Decent cash in the end for Edwin. I'd have taken the $30 million, though, if that report is accurate.

I call bs on the 3 years for $30M. If he turned that down to play for a contender, then that means a non-contending team offered him $30M for 3 years. I cannot think of a non-contender that would offer that amount. Until I hear a team associated with that offer, I don't believe it is true.

And why would he turn down $30/3 years for a non-contending team. Wouldn't he make that team better and maybe over 3 years they could be contending team. And EJ got a ring last year. It isn't like he has been on a losing team every year. He was also on the 2008 Rays that went to the World Series.

And he is 28 years old. After a 3 year contract he would be 31 years old. He could have taken a big contract with a 'non-contender' and then focused on being with a contender after that contract. And he might have been traded the last year to a team in a pennant race.

Oh yeah. I forgot. There is some irony of EJAX going to Washington. Didn't we trade to work a three way trade with the Nationals when we traded Hudson for EJAX. We were trying to get Dunn from the Nationals.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:22 PM)
I call bs on the 3 years for $30M. If he turned that down to play for a contender, then that means a non-contending team offered him $30M for 3 years. I cannot think of a non-contender that would offer that amount. Until I hear a team associated with that offer, I don't believe it is true.

And why would he turn down $30/3 years for a non-contending team. Wouldn't he make that team better and maybe over 3 years they could be contending team. And EJ got a ring last year. It isn't like he has been on a losing team every year. He was also on the 2008 Rays that went to the World Series.

And he is 28 years old. After a 3 year contract he would be 31 years old. He could have taken a big contract with a 'non-contender' and then focused on being with a contender after that contract. And he might have been traded the last year to a team in a pennant race.

Oh yeah. I forgot. There is some irony of EJAX going to Washington. Didn't we trade to work a three way trade with the Nationals when we traded Hudson for EJAX. We were trying to get Dunn from the Nationals.

I agree with you. Plus, it's possible that Greinke, Cain, & Hamels are all free agents next off-season. Do you really want to compete with those guys for FA money?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 05:32 PM)
I agree with you. Plus, it's possible that Greinke, Cain, & Hamels are all free agents next off-season. Do you really want to compete with those guys for FA money?

He took the $10-$11M one year deal b/c that it what he wants per season. If he has a great season then maybe he will find a multiyear contract in that range. He might have been offered a 3 years deal but it might have been around $21-24M. Orioles were a team that was interested but I doubt that they were going up to $30M for 3 years.

And the Nationals are looking like an improving team but there is no guarantee that they are going to contend this year. They never have contended in Washington. They are in a very tough divison where they could easily be decent but finish in 4th place. Kinda like the Blue Jays.

Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal

Do not know exact amount of #Pirates' 3-year offer to E. Jackson, but told it was substantial, in range of $10M a year. #MLB

Sources: #Pirates made 3-yr offer to Edwin Jackson. Also made him 1-yr offer below reported $11M Jackson received from #Nationals MORE #MLB