Cubs sign Concepcion

ptatc

QUOTE (hi8is @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 06:03 PM)
The Cuban chips begin to fall.

I wonder what the contract will end up looking like.

Give me Soler! :gosoxretro:

My friend didn't know the details. He was in a training room when the news went flying around the DR.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
It's an expensive draft pick that doesn't cost you the pick.

I get that, it's worth the risk. Let's just remember that he's an 18/19 year old from where the talent level is much lower. It's like Cuban cigars, just because they are "restricted" doesn't automatically make them that much better.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 2, 2012 -> 10:27 PM)
I'm not following. I would think 7 yrs at $7M total would be a lot different than 1 yr at $7M, right?

If it was 1 year that's obviously nuts, but the goal is to stick him in the minors a couple years, have this $7 mil basically wind up as a signing bonus, and then have him for 6.5 years if he makes the bigs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 07:48 AM)
Basically it takes him being in the big leagues for 1-2 years as a starter to be worth that money.

It also takes him getting to the majors, and the odds are a lot bigger when you are being described as topping out 90. If that is how he is scouted, it probably means he sits in the Mark Buehrle range in reality. To put those dollars into perspective, that is just short of what the #1 pick in the 2011 draft received, and more than the #3 and #4 picks. Would you draft a guy throwing that hard at #3? His margin of error is zero already.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:52 AM)
It also takes him getting to the majors, and the odds are a lot bigger when you are being described as topping out 90. If that is how he is scouted, it probably means he sits in the Mark Buehrle range in reality. To put those dollars into perspective, that is just short of what the #1 pick in the 2011 draft received, and more than the #3 and #4 picks. Would you draft a guy throwing that hard at #3? His margin of error is zero already.

The other way to look at it...if you signed 5-6 of those guys, at that salary level, you'd be spending $35-$40 million. If 1 of them became a successful, above average MLB starter, then $30-$40 million in excess value is a reasonable expectation for what he could generate. If 2 of them became average MLB starters, same deal.

Some of this is on the scouts and what they say, admittedly, if they told me "He's AAAA fodder" then that's money you can't spend, but this could be a recoverable investment.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
The other way to look at it...if you signed 5-6 of those guys, at that salary level, you'd be spending $35-$40 million. If 1 of them became a successful, above average MLB starter, then $30-$40 million in excess value is a reasonable expectation for what he could generate. If 2 of them became average MLB starters, same deal.

Some of this is on the scouts and what they say, admittedly, if they told me "He's AAAA fodder" then that's money you can't spend, but this could be a recoverable investment.

Or you could sign one actual 5th starter.

$7 million is a huge number to put into a guy whose ceiling is essentially an end of the rotation pitcher. You could load up anywhere else in the world for that. With the margin of error being so small, Concepcion might have gotten 10% of this deal in the draft.

As stated in the Cespedes thread, I have no problem with this deal whatsoever and, in fact, I like it. Nobody is completely topped out at 18 years old.

People are saying he is a 4 or a 5, but on a sheer hunch, I don't think he will be. I think he will either flop miserably either due to injury or his arm simply breaking down (which you could say is injury but I won't) or he will pick up a bit of velocity and turn into a nice little pitcher.

Either way, this is well worth the risk.