The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 12:04 AM)
Thanks, makes me feel MUCH better about swimming there now!

Did you lose any fingers or toes when you didnt know they were there before? Snappers are very common in lakes. They stay away from people, they will only bite when provoked, and they are usually really deep in the mud. I wouldnt worry too much

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
Did you lose any fingers or toes when you didnt know they were there before? Snappers are very common in lakes. They stay away from people, they will only bite when provoked, and they are usually really deep in the mud. I wouldnt worry too much

No, but now that they know I am there, they will be gunning for me! I've heard the read the internet for potential victims.

They are very scary creatures for sure. I'm pretty sure the 300 pounders are in the south though. They get big around us, but not that big. Down in georgia/alabama/louisiana they can sit in those bogs and swamps and grow all year round with very little threat of freezes that could kill them.

There was an old Jeff Corwin Adventure show where he was in Louisiana and he pulled a breeding female out of a mud puddle that had to be approaching 200 pounds. He stuck a stick in front of her face and she chomped it in half. I will look on youtube to see if I can find the clip.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
They are very scary creatures for sure. I'm pretty sure the 300 pounders are in the south though. They get big around us, but not that big. Down in georgia/alabama/louisiana they can sit in those bogs and swamps and grow all year round with very little threat of freezes that could kill them.

There was an old Jeff Corwin Adventure show where he was in Louisiana and he pulled a breeding female out of a mud puddle that had to be approaching 200 pounds. He stuck a stick in front of her face and she chomped it in half. I will look on youtube to see if I can find the clip.

Please don't. I wet the bed enough as it is over this thing.

My Vizsla puppy is getting neutered today. As he will have stitches, the vet says no running, jumping, or playing fetch for the next week. He's a freaking puppy! That's literally all he does is run, jump, play fetch and sleep.

I think we're going to try keeping him on leash in the house while he's recovering. We have two cats that he loves (and loves to chase) so hopefully the leash will keep him from chasing. And then we're going to have to take him on extra long walks every day to try and wear him down.

Any advice on how to keep him calm over the next week?

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)
My Vizsla puppy is getting neutered today. As he will have stitches, the vet says no running, jumping, or playing fetch for the next week. He's a freaking puppy! That's literally all he does is run, jump, play fetch and sleep.

I think we're going to try keeping him on leash in the house while he's recovering. We have two cats that he loves (and loves to chase) so hopefully the leash will keep him from chasing. And then we're going to have to take him on extra long walks every day to try and wear him down.

The first day or so he probably wont be interested in running and jumping too much anyways. Get him a big bone to chew on to keep him occupied, one of those mammoth bones. My dogs will sit down for hours with those things

Yeah, he's going to be sore for the first couple days. The bigger pain in the ass, IMHO at least, is keeping that damn cone on his head to keep him from licking the incision or trying to pull out the stitches. I simply could not bear to watch my dogs wear this thing around so clumsily, so I always just removed it and kept an eye on them. They also sell something called the "comfy cone" or something that is much more reasonable.

As for his activity levels, just don't actively encourage him to play too strenuously and I think you'll be fine. Don't worry too much about trying to restrain him or anything unless he seems to really be pushing the envelope.

They say they get dogs back in after a neuter all the time with re-opened wounds, but I've never seen it happen with the 15+ dogs my family and I have had that have been neutered.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 9, 2012 -> 11:44 AM)
Joe vs the Snapping Turtle

No joke, saw one of those that exact size on Arrowhead Golf Course (Wheaton) a few weeks ago. My moron buddy even picked the damn thing up. It was a monster.

7371855870_393a0ef164_z.jpg

7186625363_c7dd3c1438_z.jpg

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)
Yeah, he's going to be sore for the first couple days. The bigger pain in the ass, IMHO at least, is keeping that damn cone on his head to keep him from licking the incision or trying to pull out the stitches. I simply could not bear to watch my dogs wear this thing around so clumsily, so I always just removed it and kept an eye on them. They also sell something called the "comfy cone" or something that is much more reasonable.

As for his activity levels, just don't actively encourage him to play too strenuously and I think you'll be fine. Don't worry too much about trying to restrain him or anything unless he seems to really be pushing the envelope.

They say they get dogs back in after a neuter all the time with re-opened wounds, but I've never seen it happen with the 15+ dogs my family and I have had that have been neutered.

Yeah, he'll be groggy the first day and pissed at you the second day. After that they are quick healers.

Update on me: We did put my dog down last friday, it was sad but necessary. The poor pup lost his mind and didnt know who any of us were. Cognitive degenerative disease.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
Update on me: We did put my dog down last friday, it was sad but necessary. The poor pup lost his mind and didnt know who any of us were. Cognitive degenerative disease.

Condolences.

This may sound bad but when we had to put down my dog when I was 15 that I had my whole life, I took that harder than when my grandparents, whom I was close with, died.

My dog now is only 2 but when the time comes, I'll go into hiding for a few days.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:06 AM)

Don't get the cone from the vet. They'll tax the hell out you. Get one of the inflatable rings from Petsmart. They're cheaper, smaller and more comfortable.

Not a big fan of neutering pups as they need the testosterone to fully mature, but it's highly debatable.

Yeah, he'll be groggy the first day and pissed at you the second day. After that they are quick healers.

Sorry to hear that Rock

That sucks dude. I'm dreading the day I lose my Boston and she's only 6. Dogs are so amazing and offer so much to your daily life, even if they can be a pain in the ass sometimes.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:29 AM)

Our dog popped a stitch when we had her spayed. We had to run her back to the vet before they closed and they got mad at us like it was our fault somehow. We got a free year's worth of medical check-ups including the spaying through that particular vet when we got her. After the year was up, we have never been back. We also talked to a number of other people that didn't like it there.

She was/is very active so we literally had to drug her to keep her from popping her stitches again. They gave us some pills and said to give her 1/4 of one pill every 6 hours or so and it did the trick.

Condolences on the loss. Losing a pet is one of the most difficult things you can go through.

My pup came through the neutering just fine. As expected, he was extremely groggy when we first got him home, but this morning he was acting back to normal, trying desperately to run and jump and play. He's going to be on a leash for the next couple days inside so that I can hopefully keep the stitches in place... it's going to be a very long week before the stitches come out.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Condolences on the loss. Losing a pet is one of the most difficult things you can go through.

My pup came through the neutering just fine. As expected, he was extremely groggy when we first got him home, but this morning he was acting back to normal, trying desperately to run and jump and play. He's going to be on a leash for the next couple days inside so that I can hopefully keep the stitches in place... it's going to be a very long week before the stitches come out.

Glad to hear it.

People had given the advice before, but what's the best way to stop a dog's allergies? Specifically, when he keeps licking/chewing at his feet? Benadryl?

Just as his back paw is finally healing up, he is starting to go to town on one of his front paws. When we leave for the day, not only does he get the cone of shame, but we also have to wrap the foot up because he can work around the cone if he really tries.

My deceased lab had that chewing problem on her back leg, and we did everything to stop it but nothing worked until she was put on steroids for her cancer surgery(prednisone). The steroids healed it so fast that she stopped paying attention to it.

The doctor explained to me that what happens is bacteria gets between layers of skin, and the spots never fully heal. so even when it looks healed, the dogs can feel it and they will open it back up. It really sucks, it is more of a mental condition than anything.

Took my brother's pup over to a friend's house yesterday. She ended up jumping in her pool, ON TOP of the soler cover. Damn dog loves the water so much. Luckily we were able to save her before she sank to the bottom. (She wasn't swimming, because I think the surface of the cover confused her in to thinking she was standing on something stable, so she slowly started to go under water with the cover.)