The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 09:44 AM)
People had given the advice before, but what's the best way to stop a dog's allergies? Specifically, when he keeps licking/chewing at his feet? Benadryl?

Just as his back paw is finally healing up, he is starting to go to town on one of his front paws. When we leave for the day, not only does he get the cone of shame, but we also have to wrap the foot up because he can work around the cone if he really tries.

Our vet said to use 10mg of Claritin every 12 hours. Just make sure it's not the Claritin-D.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
My deceased lab had that chewing problem on her back leg, and we did everything to stop it but nothing worked until she was put on steroids for her cancer surgery(prednisone). The steroids healed it so fast that she stopped paying attention to it.

The doctor explained to me that what happens is bacteria gets between layers of skin, and the spots never fully heal. so even when it looks healed, the dogs can feel it and they will open it back up. It really sucks, it is more of a mental condition than anything.

Interesting. I had originally thought it was mental, but since it happened again I started thinking about the allergies. Hopefully, there is a way to stop it, because the constant cones & wrapping suck for him & for us.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
Interesting. I had originally thought it was mental, but since it happened again I started thinking about the allergies. Hopefully, there is a way to stop it, because the constant cones & wrapping suck for him & for us.

try the claritin. If it works, great. if it doesnt, it could become an issue like it was with my lab. The weird thing with her is that it didnt start until she got older, about 5 or 6. But once it started, it was awful

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)
try the claritin. If it works, great. if it doesnt, it could become an issue like it was with my lab. The weird thing with her is that it didnt start until she got older, about 5 or 6. But once it started, it was awful

Labs and Goldens have this issue all the time, there should be some good info on the internet.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 01:20 PM)

He's like 11 now, it just got bad the past month. Just got home from work, and he had bitten through a sock & a plastic medical bag wrapped around the paw. All that with a cone on. When we are home, he is so well behaved and doesn't touch it. As soon as we go to sleep or leave the house, then BAM!

Think the allergy medicine will be the next step.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 05:59 PM)
He's like 11 now, it just got bad the past month. Just got home from work, and he had bitten through a sock & a plastic medical bag wrapped around the paw. All that with a cone on. When we are home, he is so well behaved and doesn't touch it. As soon as we go to sleep or leave the house, then BAM!

Think the allergy medicine will be the next step.

Thunder shirt?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 08:19 AM)
sarcasm. My uncle owns one, has just as many problems as any other dog i have had.

Ok, so to make a point for Joe's sake...any dog breed that explodes in popularity inevitably suffers bad breeding which hurts the breed in the long run. Golden Retrievers have definitely been one of those breeds.

A certain breed gets popular, usually to some exposure in the newspaper, in a radio show or a television show, or maybe because it won Best in Show at the Westminster. Demand rises. Supply is outpaced, and prices rise. People step in to capitalize on the high prices, often people who don't know or care what they are doing. They then hurt the breed standard and the general temperament of the dogs by breeding unworthy specimens and selling their offspring.

This has happened over the years with Retrievers of all types, German Shepherds (Rin Tin Tin), Dalmatians, Great Danes, German Shorthaired Pointers, Pit Bulls, Chihuahuas, etc.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
Ok, so to make a point for Joe's sake...any dog breed that explodes in popularity inevitably suffers bad breeding which hurts the breed in the long run. Golden Retrievers have definitely been one of those breeds.

A certain breed gets popular, usually to some exposure in the newspaper, in a radio show or a television show, or maybe because it won Best in Show at the Westminster. Demand rises. Supply is outpaced, and prices rise. People step in to capitalize on the high prices, often people who don't know or care what they are doing. They then hurt the breed standard and the general temperament of the dogs by breeding unworthy specimens and selling their offspring.

This has happened over the years with Retrievers of all types, German Shepherds (Rin Tin Tin), Dalmatians, Great Danes, German Shorthaired Pointers, Pit Bulls, Chihuahuas, etc.

My grandfather loved great danes, had them throughout his life. He had two when I was young that passed away when I was around 10-12 years old that were the best and friendliest pair he ever owned, they lived to be 13 and 15 years old. He bought the both of them from a backwoods breeder for 50 bucks. After they passed away, he waited a few years and ended up going to a very prominent breeder, and spent 1250 on Marmaduke, lineage papers dating back to 1940. His parents were champions, and there were many champions in his lineage. Marmaduke was the WORST Dane he ever owned, territorial, mean, only liked my Grandfather, tore open my Grandfathers stepgrandsons face to the tune of 25 stitches across the jaw to the cheek. And to top it off, Marmaduke only made it to 7 years old, and died of a heart attack.

Sometimes there are just bad apples.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 03:36 PM)
My grandfather loved great danes, had them throughout his life. He had two when I was young that passed away when I was around 10-12 years old that were the best and friendliest pair he ever owned, they lived to be 13 and 15 years old. He bought the both of them from a backwoods breeder for 50 bucks. After they passed away, he waited a few years and ended up going to a very prominent breeder, and spent 1250 on Marmaduke, lineage papers dating back to 1940. His parents were champions, and there were many champions in his lineage. Marmaduke was the WORST Dane he ever owned, territorial, mean, only liked my Grandfather, tore open my Grandfathers stepgrandsons face to the tune of 25 stitches across the jaw to the cheek. And to top it off, Marmaduke only made it to 7 years old, and died of a heart attack.

Sometimes there are just bad apples.

Oh there absolutely are. You never know what you are going to get from a breeding pair until you breed them. Once they produce offspring such as what you described, they should never be bred again. And sometimes some of the sorriest looking animals can produce champions.

There are always exceptions.

However, this is real science. Genetics, heredity, etc, etc. The breed as whole is improved (when I say improved, I mean from the most technical of standpoints...I can already see the outrage coming) when the specimens that produce the best offspring are those that are allowed to breed. There are plenty of theories on just how to identify those specimens, but we know enough to have a fairly good idea.

Whenever you have ignorant or irresponsible people pumping out litter after litter from every b**** they can get their hands on, you will be lowering the standard of the breed. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)

Good post.

GSD's are pretty much ruined. It's hard and expensive to get one who's conformation isn't so poor it hurts to look at. Pit bulls aren't much better off.

People don't even know what a pit bull is. There are various mutts sold as "pit bulls" to cash in on the craze. The sad part is that "pit bull" has become a generic umbrella term for any bully type of dog. If a dogo bites a person, the pit bull is blamed because people don't know what they really look like.

Not a Pit Bull

Pitbull3.jpg

Actual American Pit Bull Terrier

91106mat.jpg

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 16, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
Wow, that first example is like the Ken Caminiti of Pit Bulls :)

It's an American Bully, which is really just code for mutt. I'd imagine there's some actual APBT in there along with English Bulldog and god knows what else. Actual APBT's should be lean dogs ranging from 25-50 pounds. Occasionally, you'll see a real one break 60 lbs, but they're freaks. Their body types should look more whippet than bulldog. If you think about it, they were originally sporting dogs. They're supposed to be built like boxers or MMA fighters, not body builders.

So, we thought our 6 month old pup was pretty much house trained. Got her at the end of March; her last house accident was probably the begging of May. We recently allowed her to go into the basement, but only when we are with her. Unfortunately, she will relieve herself in the basement.

Is it that she doesn't think it's part of the house?

QUOTE (smalls2598 @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 02:16 PM)
So, we thought our 6 month old pup was pretty much house trained. Got her at the end of March; her last house accident was probably the begging of May. We recently allowed her to go into the basement, but only when we are with her. Unfortunately, she will relieve herself in the basement.

Is it that she doesn't think it's part of the house?

My dogs had problems with that too when i lived in Carbondale. I think the concrete smells like dirt or something

Anyone have any experience with bark collars? We have a pug/shar-pei mix and she barks at pretty much anything that moves. When she is in the backyard she barks at the neighbors, the neighbor's dogs, people walking on the sidewalk, a leaf blowing by in the wind...

When we take her camping with us she's almost as bad. We've even had our neighbors come over and meet her. They'll give her treats and she will literally wag her tail and bark at them at the same time. She's even barked at my wife and I if it's dark and she doesn't realize it's us walking towards her.

I think it's partly a mix of excitement and her being very territorial and going into protect mode. She has never bitten anyone though.

We've discovered that a spray bottle filled with water works ok when we are around to catch her. I know there are some collars that spray them so that's where I got the idea from. There are also the shock collars. I just want something so we can let her outside for 10 minutes or so and not have to be right there to keep her from barking at everyone and everything.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jun 18, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Anyone have any experience with bark collars? We have a pug/shar-pei mix and she barks at pretty much anything that moves. When she is in the backyard she barks at the neighbors, the neighbor's dogs, people walking on the sidewalk, a leaf blowing by in the wind...

When we take her camping with us she's almost as bad. We've even had our neighbors come over and meet her. They'll give her treats and she will literally wag her tail and bark at them at the same time. She's even barked at my wife and I if it's dark and she doesn't realize it's us walking towards her.

I think it's partly a mix of excitement and her being very territorial and going into protect mode. She has never bitten anyone though.

We've discovered that a spray bottle filled with water works ok when we are around to catch her. I know there are some collars that spray them so that's where I got the idea from. There are also the shock collars. I just want something so we can let her outside for 10 minutes or so and not have to be right there to keep her from barking at everyone and everything.

Try a thundershirt first.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 21, 2012 -> 07:52 AM)
I think Greenie Pill Pockets may be laced with crack cocaine. My dog is straight addicted to them, I feed him one and he sits at attention for the next 5 minutes, begging for more.

They better be...they cost about the same...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
That is great! My 6 month old is looking like he is going to be that kind of dog...loves to eat and almost nothing will stop him from finding food...:)

That is a big boy!

Thats looks like your boy in your avatar.

Yesterday I went down to Zaytunes in bridgeport (everyone needs to try this place) brought home a meal for the gf that I was so proud of because she wasnt expecting it. Part of the meal was a pretty large container of herb fries. I know not to leave meat on the counter and whatnot but I didnt even worry about these. I went downstairs to help her with the groceries and came back up, nothing was on the counter, nothing. f***ing dog.

And thats not even the most impressive thing she's done, she took down an entire large Lou's deep dish off a table a few years ago. Walked away for a few min and came back and she was pizza shaped.