The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
We thought about some sort of obedience classes. Not that she's awful, but I know a lot of people do that for younger dogs.

Thoughts?

I think it can be a great idea, but you've got to put in the time with her...don't just sign her up and drop her off somewhere and then come back and get her...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
There is no magic number you have to "take your dog for a walk." You can substitute other things if need be. What Rock's dogs have benefited from are three things: 1) exercise; 2) a chance to quench their "seeking" sense or curiousity; and 3) a chance to work with and bond with their owner. All these things are desirable, but can be achieved in a variety of ways...don't feel like you need to walk your dog 6 times a day if there are other ways to accomplish these goals.

You can work with her to train her in obedience and/or tricks in your apartment. You can sign her up for an obedience class. You can take her to a park and have her chase anything and everything.

The key is you want to satisfy your dog's needs in a way that works best for her and for you. However you choose to accomplish that, is up to you.

Well, dogs need to pee at some point and they can get frustrated if they dont. Also UTI's suck ballsacks. Its different for everyone but I think the real point is get into a routine because the dogs really follow and appreciate it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
I think it can be a great idea, but you've got to put in the time with her...don't just sign her up and drop her off somewhere and then come back and get her...

This +1000. Most "puppy" classes are about bonding not training every aspect of the dog. The socialization part is HUGE.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:48 PM)
We thought about some sort of obedience classes. Not that she's awful, but I know a lot of people do that for younger dogs.

Thoughts?

Every dog should take obedience classes.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:17 PM)
Dude, you HAVE to walk your dog in the morning. Get up a bit early if you have to, the morning walk is the most important IMO. My schedule for my 8 year old dog is 9am, 4pm, 10pm and she can go 12 hours in between since shes older. Puppies and younger dogs need to at least 4-5 times a day. They'll get into a routine, but at first the lack of consistent spaced out walks makes them frustrated and they can take it out on other things.

This isnt for you in particular but dogs are a s***load of work, I tell everyone when they are exclaiming how they are going to get a puppy and whatnot. They can control your life for YEARS and it will be a good 5 before they calm down enough to be that chill dog your friend has had for years.

Jesus, what kind of needy breeds have you owned? I think our dog gets walked maybe....2-3 times a year? And none of our dogs have been a "s***load of work" either. Very easy pets in our experiences.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
Jesus, what kind of needy breeds have you owned? I think our dog gets walked maybe....2-3 times a year? And none of our dogs have been a "s***load of work" either. Very easy pets in our experiences.

2-3 walks a year? I hope your parents have a big back yard.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Not if you can do it yourself.

Oh yeah, I agree with this - just so very few people take the time to train their dogs. I mean, your family takes their dogs for a walk 2-3 times per year, I can only imagine the work that went into training the poor things.

I assume obedience classes would help with her biting us/gnawing at us?

She developed this the past few weeks. Loves biting at us or our clothing. Stern no's and a toy in her mouth don't always work. She'll even lunge at our faces - which is kind of funny, but ridiculous. I know it's all being playful (I think), but she will not close her mouth sometimes.

Joe, clearly you don't see the difference in doing the minimum to make your pet happy and doing the maximum. It has nothing to do with pets being needy, it has everything to do with having a healthy and happy pet. Your family very obviously does the minimum. So be it.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:10 PM)

She developed this the past few weeks. Loves biting at us or our clothing. Stern no's and a toy in her mouth don't always work. She'll even lunge at our faces - which is kind of funny, but ridiculous. I know it's all being playful (I think), but she will not close her mouth sometimes.

Dogs need consistency and they need to be taught what is right and wrong. I'm sure you can Google "training my [iNSERT BREED]" and attempt it yourself.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)

Yeah, work on that lunging and stop it asap...even if you realize she is being playful, all it takes is for her to do it to one kid and the parents will be screaming bloody murder.

She is probably teething and thus the biting and gnawing...my first GD did that a lot...I had marks all over my hands and arms for weeks...that can also be cured with more exercise...

I am hesitant to bring up the dog park solution again here, but that is one area where the park can really help...let her go run and bite on other dogs instead of you guys...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:12 PM)
Joe, clearly you don't see the difference in doing the minimum to make your pet happy and doing the maximum. It has nothing to do with pets being needy, it has everything to do with having a healthy and happy pet. Your family very obviously does the minimum. So be it.

In his defense, you can reach a certain point where if you have multiple dogs, you can let them take care of these tasks in your stead. Let them wear eachother out in the yard instead of walking it around the block 3 times a day.

However, I think everyone knows my stance on the rest of your point...;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
Yeah, work on that lunging and stop it asap...even if you realize she is being playful, all it takes is for her to do it to one kid and the parents will be screaming bloody murder.

She is probably teething and thus the biting and gnawing...my first GD did that a lot...I had marks all over my hands and arms for weeks...that can also be cured with more exercise...

I am hesitant to bring up the dog park solution again here, but that is one area where the park can really help...let her go run and bite on other dogs instead of you guys...

Yeah, you're right, as much as biting me sucks, we don't want her to do it to someone else - though right now she's shy with strangers to a degree and only does that stuff around us.

We should be cleared for dog park sometime this month. She needs one more shot/booster shot (I've been to the vet so many times I can't keep track) before it's official.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
We do, like a half acre or something. And when we are at our lake house or cottage, she doesn't wear a leash or chain. I assume the "walk your dog 5 times a day" business is for apartment dwellers or something.

I live on madison st dude, every time my dog has to pee its a walk down the street to a bunch of 3x3 patches of dirt.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:18 PM)
We do, like a half acre or something. And when we are at our lake house or cottage, she doesn't wear a leash or chain. I assume the "walk your dog 5 times a day" business is for apartment dwellers or something.

Oh, ok, and with multiple pooches they can certainly wear each other out - no doubt about it. My parents have 4 awful dachshunds - horribly behaved - but they have a big backyard so the things are always worn out...

Now if the wife and I could visit without the things jumping all over her and barking like psychos.

Ugh, dachshunds.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:08 PM)
Oh yeah, I agree with this - just so very few people take the time to train their dogs. I mean, your family takes their dogs for a walk 2-3 times per year, I can only imagine the work that went into training the poor things.

Well, the first dog we got before I was born, so I can't speak to the level of training she got, although she was incredibly obedient. The current dog we have we got when I was 10, and she was a quick learner, and also very very obedient. I think it's been years since she has done anything wrong, which was probably knocking over the garbage can, she had a phase of doing that for a little bit that she has gotten over.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)

Yes, having a big yard and others to play with can certainly replace the need to walk them.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:21 PM)
Yeah if I had a yard or an acre I would let the dog out to run and thats it, unfortunately I have to get all my s*** on, poop bags, go down the elevator, and walk to tiny patches of half-earth (my dog pees and poops in the street).

Kind of back to your previous point...I had to leave my plush condo on the Strip because of the dog...I've now bought an SUV to replace my little sports car and a house to replace my plush condo...and I spend hours and hours a week cleaning the house and picking up dog poop.

But I am also very happy to have done all that...it is well-worth it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
Oh, ok, and with multiple pooches they can certainly wear each other out - no doubt about it. My parents have 4 awful dachshunds - horribly behaved - but they have a big backyard so the things are always worn out...

Now if the wife and I could visit without the things jumping all over her and barking like psychos.

Ugh, dachshunds.

Dachshunds scare me for some reason. They seem like the "gnaw off your ankles" type dog. Maybe it's because I knew an evil one when I was younger, who knows.

And no, we only have the 1 dog, although every household in my family owns a large dog, so they all get to play together at our lake house or cottage or my backyard. My dog is kind of snooty though when it comes to dogs she doesn't know, which is probably a good thing. She just ignores them completely and walk away. Whenever I do happen to take her on a walk, other dogs bark at her, and she doesn't even turn her head, just keeps her head high and shakes her butt, it's pretty funny to see.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:26 PM)
Dachshunds scare me for some reason. They seem like the "gnaw off your ankles" type dog. Maybe it's because I knew an evil one when I was younger, who knows.

And no, we only have the 1 dog, although every household in my family owns a large dog, so they all get to play together at our lake house or cottage or my backyard. My dog is kind of snooty though when it comes to dogs she doesn't know, which is probably a good thing. She just ignores them completely and walk away. Whenever I do happen to take her on a walk, other dogs bark at her, and she doesn't even turn her head, just keeps her head high and shakes her butt, it's pretty funny to see.

That's probably because you don't really introduce her to many other dogs.