The Pet Thread

iamshack

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:12 PM)
Joe, clearly you don't see the difference in doing the minimum to make your pet happy and doing the maximum. It has nothing to do with pets being needy, it has everything to do with having a healthy and happy pet. Your family very obviously does the minimum. So be it.

Nah, I just think some people are over dramatic with the way they talk about owning an animal. Obviously living in an apartment ups the commitment time much more, but either I was given the greatest dogs in the most ideal situation, or owning a dog in the suburbs really isn't a challenge at all. The potty training and obedience is really the hardest part, and that only takes the first couple months. Then you have 10-14 years of a great family member. I will say this though, our family has always owned golden retrievers or labs, so I'd imagine that a lot of other breeds can be much harder to control/teach/cooperate, but then I guess you only have yourself to blame for that. When I live on my own at some point, I've always toyed with the idea of getting a different kind of large dog breed, but then I think of how easy and friendly and smart goldens are, and I think maybe I don't want to risk it with a trouble breed.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:21 PM)
Yeah if I had a yard or an acre I would let the dog out to run and thats it, unfortunately I have to get all my s*** on, poop bags, go down the elevator, and walk to tiny patches of half-earth (my dog pees and poops in the street).

Ahhh. The sweet memories of having a dog in a 3rd floor condo w/o an elevator in the winter. How fun that was. At least it was on a side street neighborhood so people had lawns and there was grass everywhere.

edit: LOL, I meant w/o an elevator not stairs

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
That's probably because you don't really introduce her to many other dogs.

Well of course I am not going to introduce her to some dog that is chained up in someone's yard, that's weird and could be dangerous. If you are asking if I have ever taken her to a dog park, no, and I am not really sure if any exist around me. But either way, I am always nervous of other dogs hurting her. I'm a protective mother. :lolhitting

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:30 PM)
That's probably because you don't really introduce her to many other dogs.

Meh, mine has been introduced many times and she just doesnt care. My rotty on the other hand is like the mayor of dog street.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:34 PM)
Ahhh. The sweet memories of having a dog in a 3rd floor condo w/o stairs in the winter. How fun that was. At least it was on a side street neighborhood so people had lawns and there was grass everywhere.

Lol, I thought you were going to say so I could just fling the poop out the window.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Nah, I just think some people are over dramatic with the way they talk about owning an animal. Obviously living in an apartment ups the commitment time much more, but either I was given the greatest dogs in the most ideal situation, or owning a dog in the suburbs really isn't a challenge at all. The potty training and obedience is really the hardest part, and that only takes the first couple months. Then you have 10-14 years of a great family member. I will say this though, our family has always owned golden retrievers or labs, so I'd imagine that a lot of other breeds can be much harder to control/teach/cooperate, but then I guess you only have yourself to blame for that. When I live on my own at some point, I've always toyed with the idea of getting a different kind of large dog breed, but then I think of how easy and friendly and smart goldens are, and I think maybe I don't want to risk it with a trouble breed.

Oh for the love of Pete...

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
We thought about some sort of obedience classes. Not that she's awful, but I know a lot of people do that for younger dogs.

Thoughts?

Obediance classes for our Viszla pup were good for two things: 1) Training us - the classes provided us with the tools to train the dog at home. An hour a week isn't going to be enough to get your dog trained. I spend a lot of time in our backyard every day working with him on the stuff we learned in obedience class.

2) Socialization with other dogs. The first class our pup went to, he shook for the first 5 minutes or so because of all these other dogs being around. After that, he was fine.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
I have cats, they solve most of these problems.

Dogs are just a lot of time and commitment, plus I could never crate anything.

Careful, Badger. Here is where all the dog freaks will make fun of cats for no reason, even though my two cats are the coolest pets I've ever had.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
A lot of my neighbors still walk their dogs even though they have decent-sized fenced yards.

Absolutely...just like you, your dogs have a sense of curiosity...I've read it as being referred to as their "seeking" sense...they want to go out and see what else is outside of those fences...

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Careful, Badger. Here is where all the dog freaks will make fun of cats for no reason, even though my two cats are the coolest pets I've ever had.

I'd never seriously disparage anyone for owning a cat...on the other hand, let me know when you start taking your cat hiking with you in the Redwoods, or along the beach on the ocean...or camping with you in the mountains...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
I'd never seriously disparage anyone for owning a cat...on the other hand, let me know when you start taking your cat hiking with you in the Redwoods, or along the beach on the ocean...or camping with you in the mountains...

This would assume I'd want an animal with me in any of those situations.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
haha

I like dogs, they are just too time consuming for the style of life I lead right now. I feel guilty leaving my cats when I go out at night and they have 2 booda domes, 2 water bowls, a water fountain and free rein of an apartment.

cats are fine for a weekend with enough food and water.

I dont do those things.

I live in a high rise in Chicago and 90% of the places I go on a weekly basis do not allow dogs, including my apartment, which is where I reside.

If I had a different lifestyle where space was not an issue a dog may be a consideration, but when you live in an apartment (even if its large for your city) its not an outdoor environment for a dog, which is something that they really need.

Conversely my cats are absolutely fine staying indoors all day.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)
cats are fine for a weekend with enough food and water.

I know, but I still get nervous as they are my responsibility and if anything were to happen to them it would be my fault.

If I go out of town for a weekend I usually have a friend stop over at least 1 time a day just to make sure that they have not gotten into an mischief, etc.

Always better to be safe.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 01:52 PM)
I dont do those things.

I live in a high rise in Chicago and 90% of the places I go on a weekly basis do not allow dogs, including my apartment, which is where I reside.

If I had a different lifestyle where space was not an issue a dog may be a consideration, but when you live in an apartment (even if its large for your city) its not an outdoor environment for a dog, which is something that they really need.

Conversely my cats are absolutely fine staying indoors all day.

Which is why you are a perfect cat owner...

I do, however, enjoy one of my neighbors cats. Both of their cats are always outdoors during the day, and then sleep in their house at night, but one of them, Jimmy, is very dog-like, which is why I like him. He responds to his name and will come if you call him over. He is very friendly and likes people. He used to wait outside in our yard for me when I would get home from HS back in the day. Their other cat, Lizzy, who is a b****, likes to hang out in our yard. She hops the fence and lays by our pool, and then as soon as we come outside, she freaks the f*** out and jumps back in to her own yard. Very skiddish and hisses at our dog, even though our dog would probably only lick her face.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
I do, however, enjoy one of my neighbors cats. Both of their cats are always outdoors during the day, and then sleep in their house at night, but one of them, Jimmy, is very dog-like, which is why I like him. He responds to his name and will come if you call him over. He is very friendly and likes people. He used to wait outside in our yard for me when I would get home from HS back in the day. Their other cat, Lizzy, who is a b****, likes to hang out in our yard. She hops the fence and lays by our pool, and then as soon as we come outside, she freaks the f*** out and jumps back in to her own yard. Very skiddish and hisses at our dog, even though our dog would probably only lick her face.

Cats have individual personalities, like people.

Some are shy, some are friendly, much of it depends on the type of environment they were raised in, or whether they were ever in the wild.

The cats actions may not make sense to you, but they could be perfectly logical.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
Cats have individual personalities, like people.

Some are shy, some are friendly, much of it depends on the type of environment they were raised in, or whether they were ever in the wild.

The cats actions may not make sense to you, but they could be perfectly logical.

I'm just saying although I would never get one, or recommend anyone to get one, I HAVE met a few cool cats in my day that I think I could tolerate owning, but only if a woman forced me to.