The Pet Thread

iamshack

http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/18/a-ne...n-sniff-it-out/

German researchers report in the European Respiratory Journal that dogs can be trained to detect lung cancer by sniffing human breath. The scientists worked with an admittedly small number of canines — just four, including two German shepherds, a Lab and an Australian shepherd — but the dogs had good success. They were able to suss out cancer in 71 out of 100 breath samples from lung cancer patients, and were able to correctly identify 93% of cancer-free samples, giving them an impressively low rate of false positives.

That’s better than the imaging tests that most physicians currently use to detect lung cancer. WebMD reports that in a recent study, longtime smokers who went in for annual CT scans of their lungs cut their risk of dying from lung cancer by only 20%.

Read more: http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/18/a-ne.../#ixzz1wvsVOhbh

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 10:08 AM)
We've had to e-collar our dog for the last two weeks when we aren't home or are asleep. Just gives me the saddest look like, "Are you kidding me?". Makes me feel so bad. :(

He occasionally starts licking/gnawing on his paw or leg, but he usually stops before he does serious damage, maybe just some fur comes off. (It's not that often, so I don't thinnk it's allergies) This time he just went to town, and took off the fur and skin, and it just became a nasty open wound. We got it bandaged up, but he immediately chewed the bandage off, so e-collar was the only option.

I'd bet money it's an allergy. Try Benadryl. If he/she stops, it's an allergy.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
I'd bet money it's an allergy. Try Benadryl. If he/she stops, it's an allergy.

We thought about it. A family member's dog has allergies, but she licks her paws way more consistently than our dog.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
Licking of the paws could also be due to anxiety or stress. Is he/she alone a lot?

Yeah, we both work, so he's alone every weekday, so it may be boredom too. But he's like 10 or 11 y/o and it's been like that for 7 years, so he's used to it.

Ironic that this thread has gotten hot right when things have gone bad for many dogs around here. My gf's parents just put theirs down because of agressive cancer, my aunt had to put theirs down because of cancer and now my 11 year old rotty that I've had since college is having some bladder issues and the doc doesnt think there is much they can do. My dog has had a very long and good life compared to what it could of been when I rescued him from certain death when he was 3 weeks old but its still sad just thinking back on all the memories I've had with him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Ironic that this thread has gotten hot right when things have gone bad for many dogs around here. My gf's parents just put theirs down because of agressive cancer, my aunt had to put theirs down because of cancer and now my 11 year old rotty that I've had since college is having some bladder issues and the doc doesnt think there is much they can do. My dog has had a very long and good life compared to what it could of been when I rescued him from certain death when he was 3 weeks old but its still sad just thinking back on all the memories I've had with him.

I'm sorry to hear that Rock...my parents just recently found out one of their Wolfhounds has cancer as well.

Losing a pet is always a difficult thing. My thoughts are with you, buddy.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)

What are the bladder issues? Science Diet makes a range of foods that can solve things.

My oldest cat, Gary, who is now 7, was close to being put down at the age of 2, or else need an expensive surgery. We saw a different vet who prescribed Science Diet's c/d feline bladder health, and the cat bounced right back and is in amazing health to this day.

I see they have a version for dogs, http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine...health-dry.html

I have no idea if it will help, but whenever I hear about bladder problems in animals, I think of the situation that made me a much happier person.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
What are the bladder issues? Science Diet makes a range of foods that can solve things.

My oldest cat, Gary, who is now 7, was close to being put down at the age of 2, or else need an expensive surgery. We saw a different vet who prescribed Science Diet's c/d feline bladder health, and the cat bounced right back and is in amazing health to this day.

I see they have a version for dogs, http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-canine...health-dry.html

I have no idea if it will help, but whenever I hear about bladder problems in animals, I think of the situation that made me a much happier person.

He's on meds for a UTI they thought he had but now he is showing signs of almost not being himself, being agressive and not wanting to even be near anyone. I think its just age catching up in a breed that rarely lives this long anyway.

My lab had some bladder issues(infections, multiple back to back) and I started giving her cranberry supplement and it seriously cleared it up in 2 days and it never happened again. Of course if your Rott has bladder cancer then it won't work, but if he has stinky pee and can't hold it very often and is drinking a lot of water, you may want to give it a try.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
He's on meds for a UTI they thought he had but now he is showing signs of almost not being himself, being agressive and not wanting to even be near anyone. I think its just age catching up in a breed that rarely lives this long anyway.

They had my cat on meds, and it was a ton of meds, and it messed him up - then the food fixed him up.

However, if he's "old" for his breed, then you never know. I'm sorry to hear about your pooch.

Rock,

Is your dog having hydration issues? If so, you may want to ask if theyll let you try subq fluids at home. One of my cats was diagnosed with CRF (chronic renal failure) back in November of last year (she has a Creatinine level over 20) and she had to stay in the emergency vet for 10 days.

Shes now on a medicine and getting subq iv fluids every other day, her levels are slightly elevated but with maintenance fluid she is hopefully going to be okay.

The fluids are pretty inexpensive (I think its about $20 per 100ml bag), so if it is has any chance you may want to try it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 10:50 AM)
My lab had some bladder issues(infections, multiple back to back) and I started giving her cranberry supplement and it seriously cleared it up in 2 days and it never happened again. Of course if your Rott has bladder cancer then it won't work, but if he has stinky pee and can't hold it very often and is drinking a lot of water, you may want to give it a try.

Its possible. The thing is that he's 11 and is having issues walking and is getting agressive and it seems like putting him through more stuff to prolong his life may just be selfish of us. Trying to make a decision today, we'll see. It's sad but 11 years for a rotty/shep mix is a pretty good run.

No decision made today. He's having trouble getting around and standing up and fell down a few times although when I showed up he was jumping around like a puppy again. We think the issue isnt the bladder its that he's kind of got dementia, where he forgets what hes doing and where he is, even snapping at my mom who he would never bite when she tried to put his leash on. He looks great physically, barely any gray hair, great coat, but I think mentally he's faltering and its clear he's in pain when he walks/stands. His joints are incredibly swollen.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
No decision made today. He's having trouble getting around and standing up and fell down a few times although when I showed up he was jumping around like a puppy again. We think the issue isnt the bladder its that he's kind of got dementia, where he forgets what hes doing and where he is, even snapping at my mom who he would never bite when she tried to put his leash on. He looks great physically, barely any gray hair, great coat, but I think mentally he's faltering and its clear he's in pain when he walks/stands. His joints are incredibly swollen.

He's probably snapping because of the pain. Arthritis? It may be manageable. If not, you gotta do what's best for his quality of life. It's a hell of a decision. Good luck. I empathize with you.

Not really a "pet" at all, but someone posted a picture of an "alligator snapper turtle" they found in our lake. I actually found a dead one last summer floating near our shoreline. These things looks scary, and can be up to 300+ pounds. They eat meat, and can easily take off fingers and toes. Needless to say, I'm pretty nervous to go to our lake house now. I've always been weary of water creatures, but now I'm freaked out actually seeing one in our lake.

alligator-snapping-turtle.jpg

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 03:16 PM)
Not really a "pet" at all, but someone posted a picture of an "alligator snapper turtle" they found in our lake. I actually found a dead one last summer floating near our shoreline. These things looks scary, and can be up to 300+ pounds. They eat meat, and can easily take off fingers and toes. Needless to say, I'm pretty nervous to go to our lake house now. I've always been weary of water creatures, but now I'm freaked out actually seeing one in our lake.

alligator-snapping-turtle.jpg

Sounds like someone needs to call the Turtle Man

YE YE YE YE YE....LIVE ACTION!

the craziest thing about Alligator and normal snapping turtles? They can extend their necks halfway up their shell while snapping. So if you had your hand on the top of its shell in the middle, theoretically it can bite your hand. I rescued one off of Shoefactory road in Hoffman Estates a few summers ago, and I saw it happen. I grabbed that bad boy by the back of his shell when i picked it up and it snapped at me a few times. You would never think its neck would bend that way, and you wouldnt think it was that long.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 05:24 PM)
the craziest thing about Alligator and normal snapping turtles? They can extend their necks halfway up their shell while snapping. So if you had your hand on the top of its shell in the middle, theoretically it can bite your hand. I rescued one off of Shoefactory road in Hoffman Estates a few summers ago, and I saw it happen. I grabbed that bad boy by the back of his shell when i picked it up and it snapped at me a few times. You would never think its neck would bend that way, and you wouldnt think it was that long.

Thanks, makes me feel MUCH better about swimming there now!