2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
I just think you have to build with the draft. I think the load up with free agents and try and win one year stuff never works.

I think everyone believes that, which is why the Bears were looking for a good college scouting based GM. That being said, you can't discount the impact a big FA signing could have. Do the Packers or Bears make the NFC Champ. game last season without Charles Woodson & Julius Peppers? You definitely build your team through the draft, but free agency could provide the help to get you to the top.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:46 AM)
Both Williams and Carimi had injury concerns when they were drafted so those are big misses in that regard although I think Carimi will be good.

Sounds like Bates will push for a New England type short passing game.

I think Lovie retires after next year. Tice takes the HC job and Bates gets the OC job after a nice 10-6 season.

There is no way Lovie retires and if he does I don't think Tice has a chance at all to become the next head coach.

49ers mock draft

First I would Michael Crabtree for a mid to late 2nd rd pick

1st rd Mohammed Sanu WR Rutgers

2nd rd- Vinny Curry DE Marshall ( The Crabtree pick )

2nd rd- Juron Criner WR Arizona

3rd rd- Orson Charles TE Georgia

4th rd- Cliff Harris CB Oregon

5th rd- Jacquies Smith OLB Missouri

6th rd- Winston Guy SS Kentucky

7th rd- Brandon Bullock DT- Marshall

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
49ers mock draft

Any GM who gives up a 2nd round pick for Crabtree should be fired on the spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 09:40 AM)
If the Bears were to make a super bowl run next year, most people would still look at their roster and say it was largely built through the draft. Urlacher, Forte, Briggs, Tillman, hopefully Williams and Carimi, Conte, and frankly, Cutler (who was obtained via 2 first round picks).

Built through the draft doesn't mean you can't find players through Free Agency. No one gives New England any less credit for Welker because he was a free agent, or the Giants last time when they signed Plax as a free agent and won a super bowl with him.

The Patriots traded for Welker. They trade for quite a few of their players. That is still a market where you will find great value on great players, and so I think Belichick will continue to exploit that market while also continuing to exploit the extreme value of a 1st round pick.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
49ers mock draft

Orson Charles won't last until the 3rd round. He might not make it to the 2nd round.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 11:46 AM)
Both Williams and Carimi had injury concerns when they were drafted so those are big misses in that regard although I think Carimi will be good.

But at least last year with Williams...it was his injury that really hurt that line, and that had nothing to do with the back injury that was the concern at the time he was drafted.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 10:53 AM)
WTF, Lovie is only 53.

Aside: dude looks awesome for 53.

I meant "retire" I think the defense will struggle next year and Lovie will not coach the Bears in 2013. I think Tice and Bates will do a nice job and a shift to the offensive side of the ball will take place as they will have to somehow beat Detroit and Green Bay via offense.

The Bears have four HOF'ers on defense, they should be better than they are.

Open letter from Kenny Powers to Tim Tebow...

As Yogi Berra famously said, "it's like Deja Vu came all over itself again."

The more I read about Tim Tebow, the more I see similarities to my own life story. Our story begins with a young mother- to-be who wants an abortion. Instead, she mans up and has the baby, giving birth to a son-child.

This special son-child makes a life out of bucking the odds. Though neither the strongest nor the fastest, he excels at sports. Many experts doubt the remarkable lad. They tell him he throws funny, and that he doesn't have the right physique for the game. It's science, they say. He'll only go so far.

But the Gifted Young Athlete refuses to let the doubters s*** in his Wheaties. To hell with science. The Gifted Young Athlete knows that he has something stronger. He has God on his side. So he presses on and keeps a good attitude, and every time he beats the odds in life he proves the experts wrong.

Next thing you know, there are folks calling it a miracle. Maybe the Gifted Young Athlete is blessed by the Almighty, they say. Perhaps he really does have a f***ing angel on his shoulder.

And suddenly the experts don't look like experts anymore. By now, our hero has upset a whole lot of people. There are those who simply don't like the idea of a man being favored by God. They feel his special relationship with Jesus diminishes their own somehow. If Jesus loves the Gifted Young Athlete, what does he think of the rest of us? Bunch of assholes?

So the haters multiply, and soon the resentment reaches a boiling point. And that's when the torches and pitchforks and long knives come out. Yes, the world is given a savior but they choose to crucify him instead. Who'd a thunk it? The same old f***in' story.

Maybe that's why Jesus likes us so much to begin with. He sees a little of himself in there.

You see, Gifted Young Athlete, people look at us and they see all they don't have. It's like, "homeboy's over there gettin' 'er done! And Jesus loves him too! f*** that guy."

But can you really blame them? Wouldn't you be pissed? Jesus helps us win at sports games, yet he's nowhere to be found when poor people need important medicine for their kid's infection, or when they're late on a mortgage payment. Think about it. There are folks in Africa who get AIDS without even being gay. Yet here Jesus is, helping me & Tebow out in sports, just because we're maybe a little bit cooler in his eyes. It's a raw deal, plain and simple. Even though he's hooking me up, I still see it's kind of a cocksucker move on Jesus's part.

But my advice to you, Mr. Tebow, from one Gifted Young Athlete to another: don't kill yourself trying to make sense of all the madness. Just hold on to your dick and have a good time. Believe me, it's all you can do. Make no apologies, either. Those are for weak people, and the haters will hate you anyway. It's not our fault we're awesome, playboy. It's Jesus's. As the gorgeous b****es in the makeup commercials used to say, "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful."

God Bless.

Kenny Powers

Shelby, NC

Eastbound & Down returns to HBO on February 19.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/755247...etter-tim-tebow

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...tm_medium=email

Could Knox's 2012 season be in jeopardy?

February 8, 2012, 6:20 pm

SCOTT KRINCH

csnchicago.png

When Johnny Knox suffered a cracked vertebrae in December against the Seahawks it looked like his career would be in jeopardy. Knox underwent surgery and initial reports said it would be a three-four month recovery period.

A fan took to Twitter to ask Knox if he remembers anything about the vicious hit that could have ended his career.

@Jknox13

Johnny Knox Like it was yesterdayRT @benkong200: @Jknox13 do u remember the whole incident?

Feb 02 via Echofon Favorite Retweet Reply

On Wednesday, ESPN's Michael C. Wright said that the initial reports may have been optimistic and there's growing doubt Knox won't be available for training camp and his 2012 season is in jeopardy.

Wright reported that Knox will have to wear a back brace for another month and the recovery could be more than six months.

If Knox can't return next season, the Bears need for a wide receiver becomes even more crucial. He led all Bears' wideouts in receiving yards with 727 and had 37 receptions to go with two touchdowns.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
I had to work that day and have still not even seen the injury. Was it gruesome?

Edit: And no, I don't want to see it either...so please don't embed a clip.

Imagine someone who's very flexible bending over at the waist with straight legs and putting their head between their ankles.

Now imagine that same thing, but in the other direction.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Feb 8, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
I actually wish the Bears would sign whichever of the Chiefs they don't franchise. If it's Bowe or Carr, so be it. Both are tremendous players that fill areas of need. And I went to school with Carr.

As a Chiefs fan, I really don't see either of them being gone. But if one is, I hope you end up with Bowe. I think he's much more replaceable than Carr. Carr (and Flowers for that matter) are extremely underrated CBs that don't get the recognition that they deserve. Even in a down year, if they can retain him they have a secondary (with Berry too) that could be outstanding for the next several years

Im not going to be sad if Knox is gone. So what if he led the team in receptions, he was the tallest midget. And most of those receptions and yards came from Hanie because Cutler could not find Knox consistently.

I hope he regains full mobility and strength, and employment elsewhere.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
Im not going to be sad if Knox is gone. So what if he led the team in receptions, he was the tallest midget. And most of those receptions and yards came from Hanie because Cutler could not find Knox consistently.

I hope he regains full mobility and strength, and employment elsewhere.

Knox would be a reasonable fit in that 3rd WR spot if the Bears had 2 WR's ahead of him, where he could stretch the field and face single coverage regularly. He's at least an asset, if put in the right role then he's effective on the field, so losing him does hurt.