2012-2013 NFL Thread

It's not just a first round pick though, it's a first round pick and a full free agent contract.

I could see the Bears or 49ers willing to do that for Wallace. I am not to sure how much money the Bears are under the cap but the 49ers will have about 35-40M to spend.

The 49ers will have to re-sign A Smith, Rogers and a few other key pieces.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
I could see the Bears or 49ers willing to do that for Wallace. I am not to sure how much money the Bears are under the cap but the 49ers will have about 35-40M to spend.

The 49ers will have to re-sign A Smith, Rogers and a few other key pieces.

As of 2/14, the Bears are supposedly $46.834 mill under the cap. This includes approximately 8M in rollover savings from last years cap that can be applied in the CY.

As of 2/14, the Bears are supposedly $46.834 mill under the cap. This includes approximately 8M in rollover savings from last years cap that can be applied in the CY.

I could easily seeing the Bears wanting Wallace over their #1 pick. Wallace would be a huge pick up for any team.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
I could easily seeing the Bears wanting Wallace over their #1 pick. Wallace would be a huge pick up for any team.

I would not be a big fan, there are a lot of F/A WR's that are better than Wallace even, no reason to go for him and lose our draft pick.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 02:15 PM)
I would not be a big fan, there are a lot of F/A WR's that are better than Wallace even, no reason to go for him and lose our draft pick.

Exactly, the Bears need about four new OL/DL, need to start thinking about younger LB/CB, on top of needing about two or three new WR, and working on a new deal for Forte and Cutler eventually. Making a one for one trade is not a smart thing to do right about now.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 02:35 PM)
Exactly, the Bears need about four new OL/DL, need to start thinking about younger LB/CB, on top of needing about two or three new WR, and working on a new deal for Forte and Cutler eventually. Making a one for one trade is not a smart thing to do right about now.

4 new OL/DL? The only questionable spots on both is a LT and a DE.... that is only 2 new members. Can't see anyway we bring in more than 2 WR's that would see any playing time either.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 18, 2012 -> 02:50 PM)
4 new OL/DL? The only questionable spots on both is a LT and a DE.... that is only 2 new members. Can't see anyway we bring in more than 2 WR's that would see any playing time either.

I was also thinking depth on both lines (I'm not crazy about our DT), not just starters. Three WR is stretching it but that could be played out if they pick up another pass catching TE, two WR are a must though. The depth on this team is pretty bad all around, we need bodies and many of them.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers are willing to let restricted free agent Mike Wallace test the open market.

The Steelers will reportedly place a first-round restricted tender on Wallace and "see what develops." If he "signs a contract and they deem it too high," they will apparently take the first-round compensation instead of matching. Once unthinkable, it's now very possible the Steelers will let their 25-year-old No. 1 receiver walk instead of digging themselves into an even deeper salary-cap hole.

Holy crap, Wallace would be the best possible player to add to Cutler's cannon.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
You would also have to sign him to a crazy deal, because if the deal is not that big the Steelers will just match it.

He could end up being the highest paid WR.

Aren't the Steeler's in cap hell right now? Big money up front could be the key.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
Aren't the Steeler's in cap hell right now? Big money up front could be the key.

It's seemingly doable, but for a team like the Bears that has a lot of other issues that they need to address, giving anywhere around $10 mill this year to a WR plus a franchise tag on Matt Forte while giving up their first round pick doesn't seem wise. This seems more like a move that the Patriots or Ravens would make where their teams are good all around but their one glaring weakness is a deep threat WR.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 11:40 AM)
It's seemingly doable, but for a team like the Bears that has a lot of other issues that they need to address, giving anywhere around $10 mill this year to a WR plus a franchise tag on Matt Forte while giving up their first round pick doesn't seem wise. This seems more like a move that the Patriots or Ravens would make where their teams are good all around but their one glaring weakness is a deep threat WR.

I wouldn't give up the first rounder and the money. Too many uses for both.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 10:49 AM)
I wouldn't give up the first rounder and the money. Too many uses for both.

You're not going to get a 1st rounder that would equal the talent of Wallace. If this last NFL season showed us anything, it's that a powerful offensive combination masks a lot of other deficiencies in your team. I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Good breakout. That makes you think the Bears are closer to the 28M cap spot and based upon this article, it would appear that they don't have a ton of flexibility in creating additional cap space (by releasing/renegotiating players). The few exceptions are Tillman (renegotiation could give you 3M in cap space); Omilaye can give you another 2-2.5M. Cliff Stein, the Bears capologist, does a tremendous job managing the cap and hopefully he continues to do that.

I also must always give Angelo credit as well (since I'm assuming it wasn't just Stein). They realized the importance of the cap and having flexibility and were able to maintain that. The Bears would appear to find them in a pretty good position and should be able to resign some of there own and make a few quality signings (including one impact signing) via FA, without putting the team in cap hell.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 01:18 PM)
You're not going to get a 1st rounder that would equal the talent of Wallace. If this last NFL season showed us anything, it's that a powerful offensive combination masks a lot of other deficiencies in your team. I'd do this in a heartbeat.

Really? No one in the first round will be equal the talent of a guy who went in the 3rd round himself? Exaggerate much?

Seriously...if Wallace was the only WR on the market, I'd say yes and spend the money + pick on him. He's probably not even going to be the best WR on the market, and the others won't be restricted. If it costs an extra $1-2 million to bring in one of the other guys, the draft pick is worth way more than that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:29 PM)
Who the heck is Trevor Vittatoe and why does he only count for $1,667 towards the cap?? Lol, that's such a insignificant number.

Via wikipedia: "He signed with the Chicago Bears as a rookie free agent on July 26, 2011. Vittatoe was listed as their 4th string QB. He was waived on August 29."

My favorite is: Spencer Lanning - $334

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Feb 21, 2012 -> 12:18 PM)

With the rookie caps that went into place, draft picks are worth a lot more than they used to be.