2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what anyone who wants Ward on the Bears would be trying to accomplish. You're getting a 36-year old WR (he's 35 but his birthday is coming up) who's sharply declined the past 2 years and has about nothing left in the tank, and can't run anymore. If you're signing free agents, how would they need to be "mentored" or "shown the ropes"? If you want him to coach, give him a navy blue hoodie and a clipboard. Otherwise we need the roster spot, and contrary to what appears to be popular belief, we don't have roster spots to just blow like that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:55 PM)
I don't know what anyone who wants Ward on the Bears would be trying to accomplish. You're getting a 36-year old WR (he's 35 but his birthday is coming up) who's sharply declined the past 2 years and has about nothing left in the tank, and can't run anymore. If you're signing free agents, how would they need to be "mentored" or "shown the ropes"? If you want him to coach, give him a navy blue hoodie and a clipboard. Otherwise we need the roster spot, and contrary to what appears to be popular belief, we don't have roster spots to just blow like that.

You are getting a guy with hands of glue who is supposedly a tremendous mentor and would be a great coach for our younger receivers. To be frank, I'd see very little negative in having a guy like Ward, assuming you aren't planning on using him in anything more than a 4th wideout role.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 05:57 PM)
You are getting a guy with hands of glue who is supposedly a tremendous mentor and would be a great coach for our younger receivers. To be frank, I'd see very little negative in having a guy like Ward, assuming you aren't planning on using him in anything more than a 4th wideout role.

Great. Sign him as a WR coach.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
Brad Biggs ‏ @BradBiggs

#Bears announce they have officially released OT Frank Omiyale and DT Anthony Adams

Biggest improvement they will make this offseason. Doesn't matter how he is replaced.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)

Bears right now have:

Bennett (legit, can be a good #2)

Knox (busted back, may not even play in 2012, but a #3 or #4 at best on a good WR corps)

Hester (sucks)

Sanzenbacher (perhaps has potential, but for now sucks)

So they need to find a legit #1, someone who can get about 1200-1400 yards. Bennett should be good for about 900, maybe 1000 in a full season. The other guy they sign (whose spot Ward would be taking) needs to be able to get at least about 600 with the remaining yards scattered between whoever else... I don't see Ward capable of that at this stage in his career. They need better than a 4th WR, they already have guys like that

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
Great. Sign him as a WR coach.

This.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 1, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Bears right now have:

Bennett (legit, can be a good #2)

Knox (busted back, may not even play in 2012, but a #3 or #4 at best on a good WR corps)

Hester (sucks)

Sanzenbacher (perhaps has potential, but for now sucks)

So they need to find a legit #1, someone who can get about 1200-1400 yards. Bennett should be good for about 900, maybe 1000 in a full season. The other guy they sign (whose spot Ward would be taking) needs to be able to get at least about 600 with the remaining yards scattered between whoever else... I don't see Ward capable of that at this stage in his career. They need better than a 4th WR, they already have guys like that

So you're saying the Bears top 3 WR (even on the low end) should get 1200, 900, and 600 yards? That, along with the presumed receiving yards from Forte and the TE would probably make them one of the elite passing games in the NFL.

Top 5 passing offenses in the NFL last year, in order, with their top 3 WR stats:

NO: Marques Coltson (80, 1143) - Lance Moore (52, 627) - Robert Meachen (40, 620) = 2390

DET: Calvin Johnson (96, 1681) - Nate Burleson (73, 757) - Titus Young (48, 607) = 3045

NE: Wes Welker (122, 1569) - Deion Branch (51, 702) - Chad Ochocinco (51, 276) = 2547

NYG: Victor Cruz (82, 1536) - Hakeem Nicks (76, 1192) - Mario Manningham (39, 523) = 3260

PIT: Mike Wallace (72, 1193) - Antonio Brown (69-1108) - Hines Ward (46, 381) = 2682

CHI: WR 1 (1200-1400) - WR 2 (900-1000) - WR 3 (600) = 2700-3000

Forte had 490 receiving yards in 12 games last year.

By your math, the top 3 WR and Forte would combine (on the low end) 1200+900+600+471 (Forte's career low) = 3171 yards. That's before any TE's, other RB, and the other 3 WR. I guess I don't see it, especially when you figure Tice will also include the TE in the passing game a lot more.

You're basically asking for last year's Packers offense:

Nelson (68, 1263)

Jennings (67, 949)

Jones (38, 635)

Finley was their 3rd leading receiver and had 767 yards on 55 catches.

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/...tm_medium=email

Steelers’ Wallace could sweeten free-agent WR options

March 1, 2012, 1:31 pm

john mullin headshot JOHN "MOON" MULLIN

Hines Ward may not be the only Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver worth more than a casual look by the receivers-light Bears.

Indeed, the Bears undoubtedly have done ample background due diligence not only on Ward, but also on a bigger Pittsburgh prospect: speed receiver Mike Wallace.

Adam Schefter over at ESPN.com reports that the Steelers are not expected to use their franchise tag to secure Wallace, a restricted free agent who will be among the top options on more than a few personnel boards.

The tag for wideouts is expected to be about $9.5 million, a heavy price for the Steelers who are nowhere near the cap-loose Bears.

The tender offer will be less than $2.8 million for giving the Steelers the option of matching an offer to Wallace or receive a first-round draft choice in compensation.

Wallace, 25, emerged as one of the NFL’s top speed receivers with 72 catches last season and eight touchdowns. He hasn’t missed a game in three seasons with reception totals of 39 and 60 before last year.

If there’s a negative, it’s that Wallace is 6-feet tall, not the taller wideout the Bears and everyone else craves. Wallace also was a third-round draft choice by the Steelers, taken 14 picks after the Bears selected Earl Bennett.

Signing Wallace, assuming the anticipated first-round tender, would cost the Bears their No. 1 as well as a multi-year deal for more than the $30 million they spent in 2005 for Muhsin Muhammed.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
unless a team puts a poison pill in Wallace's contract, I fully expect the Steelers to match whatever contract is offered to him.

Where did they wind up re: the cap after their restructurings?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:11 AM)
Where did they wind up re: the cap after their restructurings?

I dont think they are closed to finished yet, which is why they elected to keep the franchise tag and not apply it to Wallace. I believe a lot of their older defensive players are going to be considered for offseason cuts, Ward was the first step, they also are going to be releasing Komeatu, Aaron Smith, I think Timmons is also on the block.

Also, I didnt see it posted here, but Kris Deilman is calling it quits after that scary concussion/seizure incident last season because doctors wont clear him to play

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)
All you might need to make this a "poison pill" would be a large cap hit in year 1.

Yeah, and if that happens, the Steelers walk away with the 19th pick.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of that either, as i've said previously.

With both Jackson and Colston on the market, and other options at the 2nd tier like maybe other Saints guys, Wayne, Garcon, etc., the Bears should be able to find a guy without having to give up that pick. It might cost them $1-2 million more than they'd really "like" to pay, but giving up the first rounder should only really happen if the Bears strike out on those guys so badly that you want to fire the GM.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)

I was firmly against giving up the 19th pick and a huge contract for Wallace, but I'm starting to waver a bit on it. I hate to waste the cap room and draft picks with so many other holes to fill, but man do they need a playmaker like him. The other FA options are starting to dwindle down, and I'm not sure if the available draftees in that slot will make a big enough difference immediately.

I preferably would like to see the Bears package on of their multiple third round picks with the 19th pick to move up and take Floyd, and then focus on someone like Jackson or Colston. I wouldnt want to see the loss of the first round pick either.

Of course, the Bears could play semi conservative and wait for Jeffery/Sanu/Wright in the second round as well. I really thought Jeffery was going to be a high pick, but his weight and reluctance to run for scouts is really pushing his value down

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 09:30 AM)
I preferably would like to see the Bears package on of their multiple third round picks with the 19th pick to move up and take Floyd, and then focus on someone like Jackson or Colston. I wouldnt want to see the loss of the first round pick either.

Of course, the Bears could play semi conservative and wait for Jeffery/Sanu/Wright in the second round as well. I really thought Jeffery was going to be a high pick, but his weight and reluctance to run for scouts is really pushing his value down

If the Bears can grab Jackson or Colston, that puts them in a position where spending the 2nd rounder on a WR makes sense and they can look for a value guy or guy who dropped at that spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
If the Bears can grab Jackson or Colston, that puts them in a position where spending the 2nd rounder on a WR makes sense and they can look for a value guy or guy who dropped at that spot.

I would look to draft my #1 before I would sign my #1 from FA. I cant imagine the Bears have a solid plan yet, there is a lot of free agency contingencies

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:44 AM)
Falcons have applied the franchise tag to free agent CB Brent Grimes.

Sounds like Cortland Finnegan and Cliff Avril are next.

Avril already was talking about how he didnt want that to happen, was hinting at holding out. Doubtful, considering the repercussions

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 2, 2012 -> 08:47 AM)
Avril already was talking about how he didnt want that to happen, was hinting at holding out. Doubtful, considering the repercussions

I hope they tag him and he holds out for all of next season.