2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
Every year some team goes crazy in free agency and everyone picks them to win it all.

Eagles last year. This year it will be.......

Chiefs could make some noise. They already signed Routt and franchised Bowe. Charles/Berry/Moeaki/Siler all are coming back from missing basically all of last year. They have the #11 pick. The are being rumored as a possible destination for Peyton Manning. And they have $65M to spend.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 12:43 PM)
Chiefs could make some noise. They already signed Routt and franchised Bowe. Charles/Berry/Moeaki/Siler all are coming back from missing basically all of last year. They have the #11 pick. The are being rumored as a possible destination for Peyton Manning. And they have $65M to spend.

I agree with this analyses.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 02:43 PM)

The Chiefs have some good talent. They just got killed by injuries last year.

They would be my early pick to win that division next year. 11-5 type season.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
Im not sure Sean Payton will get fired, probably suspended. But the cost of keeping him is that the Saints are likely going to lose a significant amount of draft picks.

Reading that article. I wonder what Payton is even doing/why would you ever accept money from some guy like that. I have a feeling their is far more to this story if it is true (gambling, etc). If this component is true and there is email proof, Payton should be fired and never allowed to coach in the NFL again.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 06:30 AM)
And catch the ball. And not get stupid penalties consistently.

Stupid penalties I agree with. At the very least, Garcon and Johnson are equally bad at dropping balls but I'd argue that Garcon is worse. Looking at drops doesn't do a lot because they both had 4 drops in 134 targets last year according to STATS Inc, but Johnson caught more balls thrown his way and had a better 1st down percentage on his catches. I realize that Garcon had worse QBs throwing to him this year, but he also had Reggie Wayne on the other side, Austin Collie in the slot, and something resembling Dallas Clark at TE for 2/3 of the season. Stevie Johnson's other receivers were David Nelson, Scott Chandler, and Donald Jones (along with a hodgepodge of "who the f***" and "he hasn't played in years.")

Stevie Johnson is a far superior receiver to Pierre Garcon.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
I wonder if this was going on during the preseason last year too? In a preseason game vs. the 49ers, the Saints spent the whole game blitzing.

That is quite doubtful. More likely, they were working on their blitz packages in a game to see which players were effective in said blitz packages to get a better feel for those guys that they'd like to keep on the 53-man as well as have on their practice squad.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Stupid penalties I agree with. At the very least, Garcon and Johnson are equally bad at dropping balls but I'd argue that Garcon is worse. Looking at drops doesn't do a lot because they both had 4 drops in 134 targets last year according to STATS Inc, but Johnson caught more balls thrown his way and had a better 1st down percentage on his catches. I realize that Garcon had worse QBs throwing to him this year, but he also had Reggie Wayne on the other side, Austin Collie in the slot, and something resembling Dallas Clark at TE for 2/3 of the season. Stevie Johnson's other receivers were David Nelson, Scott Chandler, and Donald Jones (along with a hodgepodge of "who the f***" and "he hasn't played in years.")

Stevie Johnson is a far superior receiver to Pierre Garcon.

As they say, the numbers don't lie, but the times I have watched Johnson, I've seen him leave several big plays on the field, which doesn't leave me very confident in him. There was that OT drop vs the Steelers, and another game late his past season where he missed a few big plays late that could have led the Bills to the victory.

QUOTE (HeGone33 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
I wonder if this was going on during the preseason last year too? In a preseason game vs. the 49ers, the Saints spent the whole game blitzing.

Williams has always been a blitz happy DC. Regardless of the bounty program, he always seemed like he was trying to hurt the QB

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
I really like Stevie J. Think he would have been a better pickup than Vjax.

He would have probably come cheaper (and perhaps a better value), but I'll take 6'5 with great speed over 6'2 and crazy any day.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 07:11 PM)
I really like Stevie J. Think he would have been a better pickup than Vjax.

Steve J resigned with the Bills, I liked him also.

Edited by Soxfest

Chisoxfn,

Goodell works for the owners, coaches are different than players (no connection to the NFLPA) so this would be killing one of his own. Its a difficult situation due to it involvement multiple teams etc, so my guess is that the penalties are mainly suspensions and draft picks.

I definitely think if players did it without support of a guy like Payton that theyd be facing a banishment.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
Steve J resigned with the Bills, I liked him also.

Ya, I knew he resigned. I just am not a big fan of Jackson. I think he's a great deep threat but I have questions about his work ethic and his ability to ever be a dominant receiver (from a total reception perspective). Very fast and explosive down the field though.

For the 49ers fans who came out of the woodwork this year, per rotoworld:

According to CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, the 49ers have targeted restricted free agent Mike Wallace and unrestricted free agent Vincent Jackson "at a specific price."

The Niners "do not get into bidding wars for players, though," Maiocco cautions. Jackson is sure to incite a bidding war, and Wallace will cost $9.5 million in 2012 in addition to a lucrative long-term contract and the 49ers' first-round pick. At their respective prices, both big-play receivers are long shots for San Francisco. The Steelers website pointed out Tuesday that no RFA carrying a first-round tender has signed an offer sheet in the past 10 years.

For the money and that situation, Garcon or Manningham would probably be better signings anyways.

Reading that article. I wonder what Payton is even doing/why would you ever accept money from some guy like that. I have a feeling their is far more to this story if it is true (gambling, etc). If this component is true and there is email proof, Payton should be fired and never allowed to coach in the NFL again.

I wonder if the NFL would consider this serious enough to take the unprecedented step of 'Calipari'ing the Saints and vacating their wins during that period.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 07:12 AM)
I wonder if the NFL would consider this serious enough to take the unprecedented step of 'Calipari'ing the Saints and vacating their wins during that period.

God I hope not. The whole idea of vacating wins is still comical to me. It's not like you can erase all memories or all video of that Super Bowl being played. Saints won, end of story.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 7, 2012 -> 01:46 AM)

According to CSN Bay Area's Matt Maiocco, the 49ers have targeted restricted free agent Mike Wallace and unrestricted free agent Vincent Jackson "at a specific price."

The Niners "do not get into bidding wars for players, though," Maiocco cautions. Jackson is sure to incite a bidding war, and Wallace will cost $9.5 million in 2012 in addition to a lucrative long-term contract and the 49ers' first-round pick. At their respective prices, both big-play receivers are long shots for San Francisco. The Steelers website pointed out Tuesday that no RFA carrying a first-round tender has signed an offer sheet in the past 10 years.

For the money and that situation, Garcon or Manningham would probably be better signings anyways.

Worth noting, if the Niners go after Wallace, they're only looking at losing the 30th pick or so, rather than the 19th. Big value difference.

I will point out, I still wonder if that report is true. I wonder if when the league digs up emails they find out that such story is false and those emails never existed. If they did, than the league will find the emails, verify them, and at that point, Payton is in some serious trouble.

I'd love for the 49ers to sign Wallace.. I also have a feeling he will be signing with us next week.

Wallace has said that he loves the 49ers organization..

Edited by SOXOBAMA