2012-2013 NFL Thread

Redskins have cut Mike Sellers and OJ Atogwe.

With the Bears already interested in Landry, and Atogwe being one of their targets from last season, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go after him.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)

I wouldn't mind getting a nice LT, but the Bears don't need to spend big money at guard when it's a position they have adequete players at. Yes, we have Peppers at DE but when Idonije is the best we have on other side that's not very good.

While Mario and Peppers would be a sick DE pair, I just don't understand how the Bears can continually ignore the O-Line and WR core assuming the rumors of Williams is true.

If we sign Williams, we would most likely be going after second-rate offensive tackles and WRs, which just isn't gonna get it done.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
While Mario and Peppers would be a sick DE pair, I just don't understand how the Bears can continually ignore the O-Line and WR core assuming the rumors of Williams is true.

If we sign Williams, we would most likely be going after second-rate offensive tackles and WRs, which just isn't gonna get it done.

There is a good chance they don't make a move towards the OL at all, it depends how much faith Tice has in Webb. The rest of the OL is solid, I think people just get caught up in it being the popular thing to say but there are bigger issues than the OL on the Bears and the only spot even questionable is LT.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
There is a good chance they don't make a move towards the OL at all, it depends how much faith Tice has in Webb. The rest of the OL is solid, I think people just get caught up in it being the popular thing to say but there are bigger issues than the OL on the Bears and the only spot even questionable is LT.

They still absolutely need to replace Omiyale with someone who actually can play more than a down without getting Cutler killed.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 07:41 PM)

I don't buy it at all. We have no RT. Webb pretty much the worst tackle in football last year. I have no idea what Carimi wil bring, so until I see him healthy and on the field making an impact, we really don't have a LT. Williams-Garza-Spencer is a decent middle three, but nothing special. But again, we are one injury away to those three from being back to s***. And yet we still don't have a swing tackle.

And with Mincey and Wimbley both FAs who can be had for at least half the price of Williams, I think it makes way more sense financially to get one them and add to OL with the money saved.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 09:00 PM)
I don't buy it at all. We have no RT. Webb pretty much the worst tackle in football last year. I have no idea what Carimi wil bring, so until I see him healthy and on the field making an impact, we really don't have a LT. Williams-Garza-Spencer is a decent middle three, but nothing special. But again, we are one injury away to those three from being back to s***. And yet we still don't have a swing tackle.

And with Mincey and Wimbley both FAs who can be had for at least half the price of Williams, I think it makes way more sense financially to get one them and add to OL with the money saved.

Carimi was a first rounder so he is penciled in as a starter bringing in a FA won't change that for this season or next. And you don't even mention Lance Louis who had dominating performances last season. Right now it is Webb-Williams-Garza-Louis-Carimi. Edwin Williams/Spencer are the backup guards/center and Louis is the backup tackle. I don't see them making an addition to the OL at all unless its LT but Tice seems to like Webb.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 09:07 PM)
Carimi was a first rounder so he is penciled in as a starter bringing in a FA won't change that for this season or next. And you don't even mention Lance Louis who had dominating performances last season. Right now it is Webb-Williams-Garza-Louis-Carimi. Edwin Williams/Spencer are the backup guards/center and Louis is the backup tackle. I don't see them making an addition to the OL at all unless its LT but Tice seems to like Webb.

Pro Football Focus has some of the best metrics for football evaluation that I have seen out there. Here is what they said about the Bears:

32. Chicago Bears (31st)

Run Rank 31st, Pass Rank 31st, Penalties Rank 25th

Does this really surprise anyone? The Bears at least attempted to rectify their horrible offensive line by drafting Gabe Carimi, only for the tackle to manage 100 snaps before a dislocated knee ended his year. It left them with a group of individuals who struggle to get much push in the run game, and aren’t much better in pass protection. You’d struggle to find a line that performed as badly as the Bears over the years.

Best Player: By default, this was Edwin Williams (+0.5), though this is more of a reflection on the rest of the line which amassed a combined -116.1 grade.

Worst Player: Take your pick. J’Marcus Webb (-26.2) was a failure on the left side, but even he was outdone by Lance Louis (-35.6). Louis should never have moved out to tackle and it really showed down the stretch; in no game more so than when he gave up five sacks to a Chiefs defense that simply destroyed him.

Louis sucks. Webb sucks. They are not NFL starting tackles.

Edited by maggsmaggs

Zaidman said this morning that the bears likely have money to get both Williams and Jackson. It didnt sound like he thought theyd get both, but he said they defintiely could. The more I've thought about it, the less I really want to give Jackson huge money.

The best thing about signing williams is that it fills not only DE, but also you then afford to have lesser players at DT, CB and S - making those less of a need in the draft. As was mentioned above, OT HAS to be addressed, but the FA crop is bad, as is the draft class at OT. But the change of system should help those guys hopefully

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
OL isn't that bad

What team were you watching last year? Or the year before? Or the year before?

FOR MULTIPLE YEARS, the Bears have been in dire need of OL and WR. They continually try to patch it with bad draft choices and over the hill free agency signings.

Mario will be awesome, yes, but if they don't also address WR and OL, we'll be without Cutler by week 8 and out of the playoffs by week 12, and our priced DE duo will be injured from being on the field so f***ing much.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
Mario Williams would be a godsend. What a response to the passing offenses in the NFC North. OL isn't that bad and we can draft a WR. Here's hoping.

The OL isn't that bad? Tell that to Jay Cutler.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
The OL isn't that bad? Tell that to Jay Cutler.

I think we've said before...there's a lot of things that went wrong there, from Martz's system to two first round picks getting hurt to Frank Omiyale being allowed into the stadium to Cutler himself having a freak injury. Some of those things will correct themselves over the offseason...it's just hard to determine how much fixing those issues will improve the line. There still clearly needs to be a backup/swing tackle added to replace Omiyale so that the backup tackle can actually be played, but a larger upgrade than that is still uncertain...and is probably the single decision that is going to determine whether Smith and Tice keep their jobs beyond this year.

OL and WR are more glaring needs (again) but Mario Williams alone would oh so tempting. As a fan, my head and my heart are in conflict.

The Bears should probably go after Mincey instead of Mario and use the savings on those other positions. I'd by pretty happy with Mincey, Meachem and an offensive linemen. Then draft the best players available and go kick ass.

Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports it's down to the Bears and Bucs for Jackson.

If the Bears signed Jackson and Mario somehow, and then drafted really well for the O-Line, some secondary help, and some lineback help, they'd be looking great.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 13, 2012 -> 08:00 AM)
Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole reports it's down to the Bears and Bucs for Jackson.

If the Bears signed Jackson and Mario somehow, and then drafted really well for the O-Line, some secondary help, and some lineback help, they'd be looking great.

The one concern I have in all of these reports is that there are always these hidden teams that jump in. Plus, Emery is supposedly keeping a sealed lid on Halas Hall which makes me wonder how real these leaks are. I'm assuming they are coming from reps of Williams/Jackson vs. Bears insiders.