2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
You just lumped beating in with raping and murdering.

Whatever. Beating a women is wrong. 10000% wrong. If what is out there and he's done it to multiple women multiple times, that is wrong and utterly disgusting. I expect better out of the Bears. Again, I don't know all the facts, but if that is the case and he's just constantly gotten away with it cause he's great, well shame on our society and shame on the Bears.

I've always been proud of the way the organization has handled itself in regards to some of the scumbags that play in the NFL.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Whatever. Beating a women is wrong. 10000% wrong. If what is out there and he's done it to multiple women multiple times, that is wrong and utterly disgusting. I expect better out of the Bears. Again, I don't know all the facts, but if that is the case and he's just constantly gotten away with it cause he's great, well shame on our society and shame on the Bears.

I've always been proud of the way the organization has handled itself in regards to some of the scumbags that play in the NFL.

I hear you. Obviously I do not condone beating a woman. However, I can let the law deal with that and if Marshall is legally able to play NFL football as the most talented WR the franchise has ever seen, I will root for him like a crazy man.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Let me ask you this, would you want your sister involved with Marshall or your mom? Or someone you cared about. Hell, better yet, would you want to live next door to that type of person.

That doesn't make any sense. He doesn't have to beat my sister to play for the Bears. He has to catch footballs. And yes, I'd love to live next door to Brandon Marshall, because that would mean I was rich.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
That doesn't make any sense. He doesn't have to beat my sister to play for the Bears. He has to catch footballs. And yes, I'd love to live next door to Brandon Marshall, because that would mean I was rich.

I knew you'd make that response regarding rich. But seriously, say you have equal money, is he who you'd want as your neighbor? I guy who constantly has been in trouble and has a history of violence? Would you want your kids looking up to him on the football field. I love the Bears and I'm very passionate about sports and I hope like hell Marshall is a changed man. But I also don't live under a rock, the reality is this guy has had a ton of chances and thus far has proven he is what he is (an abuser of women) and that is a major problem.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
I knew you'd make that response regarding rich. But seriously, say you have equal money, is he who you'd want as your neighbor? I guy who constantly has been in trouble and has a history of violence? Would you want your kids looking up to him on the football field. I love the Bears and I'm very passionate about sports and I hope like hell Marshall is a changed man. But I also don't live under a rock, the reality is this guy has had a ton of chances and thus far has proven he is what he is (an abuser of women) and that is a major problem.

To each his own, I guess. As long as the courts say Brandon Marshall is a free man, I'm happy to have him on the Bears. He's f***ing awesome and I've seen enough jokers in my time to not really care what Marshall does off the field (assuming that doesn't effect him on the field).

I really wouldn't care who my neighbor was in that scenario above, because I'd have a pimped out privacy fence and quick access to a phone for dialing 9-1-1. I just don't get the point of that line of questioning when I'm saying that he can do what he wants as long as he's catching footballs on Sundays... and Mondays... and Thursdays... and the occasional Saturday.

I agree that it's despicable that he has abused women, and there is no excuse for that. That said, he doesn't have to be a role model, there are other players on the team that can be that role model that you as a parent can point your kids too. The fact of the matter is, the NFL shouldn't be viewed as a pool of role models, teams pay and fans adore these guys to make ridiculously hard contact with other humans. They are basically trained to hit people as hard as they can, to use rage and adrenaline to their advantage.

And I'm not trying to defend these guys like Marshall that hit women, he should be punished accordingly to the law, I just think people who label these guys as role models are ridiculous. Yea you'll find a few good ones here and there, but most of them are in the NFL and not doing something else with their life because they are good at one thing: violently hitting other humans.

If you honestly can't handle NFL players' off-the-field antics....you should probably not watch football. A large percentage of these guys suck at life outside of football.

I want a #1 receiver. If he married some chick that stabs him and he pushes around, so be it. As long as he's not in jail or the hospital, and it doesn't impact his game it makes no difference.

I also believe Cutler will help keep him in line.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 01:33 PM)
I agree that it's despicable that he has abused women, and there is no excuse for that. That said, he doesn't have to be a role model, there are other players on the team that can be that role model that you as a parent can point your kids too. The fact of the matter is, the NFL shouldn't be viewed as a pool of role models, teams pay and fans adore these guys to make ridiculously hard contact with other humans. They are basically trained to hit people as hard as they can, to use rage and adrenaline to their advantage.

And I'm not trying to defend these guys like Marshall that hit women, he should be punished accordingly to the law, I just think people who label these guys as role models are ridiculous. Yea you'll find a few good ones here and there, but most of them are in the NFL and not doing something else with their life because they are good at one thing: violently hitting other humans.

Think about when you were a kid. Who did you look up to. I'm pretty sure it was the people you saw on tv (in addition to people within your life). I also find it hillarious that people support this. If you were a boss, would you keep an employee who had all of these kind of problems (no idea what the law would saw to me firing someone for that but I certainly wouldn't hire someone if my background check performed indicated all of the crap as Marshall does).

I have higher standards. Sports are great and I don't expect everyone to be perfect. People are entitled to mistakes and they are entitled to have 2nd chances, but when you are on your 18th chance, that is a problem to me. The league as a whole should have a better standard as it relates to things like that. Than again, people like snookie are stars. What the hell do I know. I just think that as an organization, while winning is goal #1 through #10, doing the right thing is also goal #1 through 10.

I will hope the Bears did there homework and Lovie and everyone really did their homework. I trust Lovie's judgement. He's a good guy and by all accounts a very good human being who has done a nice job helping people with 2nd chances and there have been guys that have proved to change (whether it had to do with Lovie or not, I have no idea).

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)
If you honestly can't handle NFL players' off-the-field antics....you should probably not watch football. A large percentage of these guys suck at life outside of football.

I want a #1 receiver. If he married some chick that stabs him and he pushes around, so be it. As long as he's not in jail or the hospital, and it doesn't impact his game it makes no difference.

I also believe Cutler will help keep him in line.

Listen. Most NFL players don't have these issues. They've all had certain problems. If you think the majority of the league has the issues Marshall has than I'd be stunned.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)
Listen. Most NFL players don't have these issues. They've all had certain problems. If you think the majority of the league has the issues Marshall has than I'd be stunned.

I try not to make judgments by what I read in the media, I was once a victim of that myself and I can tell you first hand that some reports that we read are not entirely true. Sometimes, they are blatant lies or misleading the public on purpose. With that being said, I am not inviting the man over for Thanksgiving dinner. If I notice my son asking for Brandon Marshall jerseys, I will point the bad qualities out and explain to him why they're wrong. That's my job. Most if not all franchises in the NFL have a problem player whether it be for rape (allegedly Big Ben), murder (Ray Lewis), DUI (Aldon Smith, Braylon Edwards, Knowshon Moreno, Cedric Benson, Michael Bush -the list goes on-), eluding police and obstruction (Kenny Brit), Brandishing a hand gun (Chris Cook, Plaxico Burress), Dog Fighting (Michael Vick)...I can do this all day.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 03:43 PM)

In this latest incident, he popped someone because his wife got hit in the face with a beer bottle. I cannot fault him for that.

Hey Jason, I don't see a single conviction on Marshall's record for battery of a woman. It's a long rap sheet, but no moment where the courts decried he did any physical harm to a woman. Isn't that what the courts are for?? He got a DUI and he got stabbed.

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[61] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[62]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[63] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[64] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[65] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[64]

According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[66]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[67] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court.[68] On August 14, 2009, a jury in Atlanta found Marshall not guilty.[69]

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[70] The charges were dropped the following day.[71]

On April 23, 2011, Marshall was stabbed near his stomach by his wife, Michi Nogami-Marshall. He was taken to a hospital and was released two days later. He is expected to make a full recovery.[72][73]

It was later revealed by police that Marshall's wife did make a brief 911 call, but it only described an unspecified emergency and no mention of a stabbing ever took place. She is charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and is free on $7,500 bail.

In a South Florida Sun-Sentinel article published on July 30, 2011, it was revealed that Marshall was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder at Boston's McLean Hospital after his incident with Nogami-Campbell.[74] He is currently pursuing treatment for his mental illness and filming a documentary about his struggle.

On early Sunday, March 11, 2012, two days before his trade to the Bears, Marshall was accused of hitting a woman in the face at a New York club and being involved in a melee. The New York Post stated that Marshall, his wife and some friends were at Marquee when a brawl ensued, and Marshall punched the woman below her left eye, although he may have been attempting to hit the woman's friends.[75]

That's why I said if what I'm reading is true. Clearly there is a long line of history. Maybe his wife is a horribly abusive person and he just gets caught in the middle and has never laid a hand on her. And he just accepts the abuse.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 04:53 PM)
That's why I said if what I'm reading is true. Clearly there is a long line of history. Maybe his wife is a horribly abusive person and he just gets caught in the middle and has never laid a hand on her. And he just accepts the abuse.

Not too mention you cant judge Marshall as you would a normal person, the guy has some serious mental issues that haven't been taken care of properly.

In this latest incident, he popped someone because his wife got hit in the face with a beer bottle. I cannot fault him for that.

IF that is what actually happened, then I agree. I think it's a bad precedent for the NFL to tell a player, no matter how checkered his past is, that he can't stand up for his family.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 15, 2012 -> 04:41 PM)
Hey Jason, I don't see a single conviction on Marshall's record for battery of a woman. It's a long rap sheet, but no moment where the courts decried he did any physical harm to a woman. Isn't that what the courts are for?? He got a DUI and he got stabbed.

And OJ was never convicted of murder either...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 08:17 AM)
And OJ was never convicted of murder either...

Again, someone brings up murder (or rape) which I think are on another level. If we'd just traded for the corpse of Rae Carruth, I'd swear off the Bears.

There's levels of bad, people.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 08:59 AM)
Again, someone brings up murder (or rape) which I think are on another level. If we'd just traded for the corpse of Rae Carruth, I'd swear off the Bears.

There's levels of bad, people.

Rae Carruth is dead? Can his corpse get off a jam at the line? Hmmmm. . . I'm interested in your idea here.

Something to keep in mind in these domestic abuse accusations and cases. Quite often, a woman's word is all that is needed to get the arrest to take place. I have a friend who got into an argument with his now ex-wife in their front yard. She balled up her fist and hit him six times, the last of which busted his lip. He backhanded her once afterwards. Guess who went to jail that night?

QUOTE (YASNY @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 09:58 AM)
Something to keep in mind in these domestic abuse accusations and cases. Quite often, a woman's word is all that is needed to get the arrest to take place. I have a friend who got into an argument with his now ex-wife in their front yard. She balled up her fist and hit him six times, the last of which busted his lip. He backhanded her once afterwards. Guess who went to jail that night?

And let's not forget that Marshall and his wife have quite a stormy relationship as it is.

Marshall has issues and seems to get himself in situations that are not in his best interest.

Marshall's wife seems to make Antonio Davis wife seem like Lady Di

Marshall is a true number one receiver something there are very few of in the NFL. It is in Cutler and Lovie's best interest to make this work and both of them may be able to.