2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
Yes it is.

Would you go on Twitter and bash your employer, say you're being disrespected and essentially ask for a raise?

Gage actually has the ability to leave his employer for another any time he wants. Forte doesn't.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gage actually has the ability to leave his employer for another any time he wants. Forte doesn't.

Forte can go become an Argonaut any time he wants.

If the Bears had never offered him any kind of long term deal and just tagged him, I might have some sympathy for him. However, if the Bears really have offered him a $25M+ deal with $15M+ guaranteed, then he needs to STFU.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 07:56 AM)
Forte can go become an Argonaut any time he wants.

If the Bears had never offered him any kind of long term deal and just tagged him, I might have some sympathy for him. However, if the Bears really have offered him a $25M+ deal with $15M+ guaranteed, then he needs to STFU.

Gage doesn't have to move to Canada. He can pick any employer at all he wants to.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
Yes it is.

Would you go on Twitter and bash your employer, say you're being disrespected and essentially ask for a raise?

Depends. If I was an NFL player who had done everything I was asked of (instead of been an ass) and then had this happened, I'd be pretty irate. The reality is most players would have held out last year in Forte's shoes. He didn't, he did what was asked of him, played his butt off, was told many times he was going to be taken care of, believed the franchise when they said that to him, and now do this. If they weren't going to, they probably should have told him, play this year, we may or may not sign you, but if you aren't happy we will trade you.

I understand it is a business but this guy has done everything right as a member of the Bear (and that includes playing through injuries during his 2nd year in the league).

I really dont see why its a slap in the face. Would Forte have accepted that contract? My guess is no. Therefore its completely irrelevant. What would be a slap in the face is if the Bears had gotten another RB and gave them the deal Forte wanted.

Forte's base salary is going to be $7mil or so. Bush is getting $14mil over 4 years. I cant imagine Forte turned down anything close to that, otherwise hed be signed.

Forte was offered a contract s the last two years that would have paid him $7M already and had $15M guaranteed.

He passed it up.

The Bears have shown a history of extending players at a fair price which Forte has been offered time and again.

John Danks signed the long term deal, Matt Forte did not.

Forte is not worth $20M guaranteed.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
Forte was offered a contract s the last two years that would have paid him $7M already and had $15M guaranteed.

He passed it up.

The Bears have shown a history of extending players at a fair price which Forte has been offered time and again.

John Danks signed the long term deal, Matt Forte did not.

Forte is not worth $20M guaranteed.

There are other reports that the most the Bears offered was 10M in guaranteed money. I don't know what report is true, all I know, is that with Lynch/Foster signed, you know Forte's deal is somewhere in between what those two players got. If the Bears don't want to pay that, they need to start telling him such and work out a contingent plan. Maybe that is him playing one year as a franchised player and letting him go. Maybe that is him working out a deal with another club and than working out a trade. I don't know the answer but I know that treating players poorly can be something that is looked at poorly in the NFL and I don't want players to not want to come and play for the Bears (and it does happen).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
There are other reports that the most the Bears offered was 10M in guaranteed money. I don't know what report is true, all I know, is that with Lynch/Foster signed, you know Forte's deal is somewhere in between what those two players got. If the Bears don't want to pay that, they need to start telling him such and work out a contingent plan. Maybe that is him playing one year as a franchised player and letting him go. Maybe that is him working out a deal with another club and than working out a trade. I don't know the answer but I know that treating players poorly can be something that is looked at poorly in the NFL and I don't want players to not want to come and play for the Bears (and it does happen).

Treating players poorly? Like when Urlacher whined about his contract after 18 neck/back surgeries and a down year....and got the money?

It's like Wade saying Reinsdorf isn't loyal when he's got every former Bull on the payroll still in some capacity.

Every report I read had the guaranteed money at "close to 14 mil". With that being said, Forte isn't doing himself any favors here. It's not like the deadline passed on being able to negotiate a long term contract (I believe that's July 17th). Signing FA's is a lot more time sensitive right now. After they make the signings that are crucial to be competitive this year then they will have a better idea of what they can give Forte. I like that the Bears pretty much stripped him of any leverage from holding out. I love Forte as a player, but at the same time, these athletes need to man up. Stop crying to the media and keep it in house. If the deadline passes and you still don't have a deal, tweet all you want...I might even agree with you at that point.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
That guy clearly makes a living off of bold and false statements/crazy predictions to scare people.

Same with Jack and Rexella Van Impe. (THE WORLDS GONNA END TOMORROW!, oops, I mean next week!, ok, NEXT MONTH!)

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)

I think it's pretty clear that the offer they made Forte was basically designed to mimic their financial responsibilities were they to Franchise him twice. No one knows what they told him prior to last season, but this is business and his agent should have advised him appropriately. While I admire Forte's willingness to trust the organization, one of the best pieces of advice I have ever received is to look out for yourself, because if you don't, it is very likely that no one else will.

The market for Matt is what it is, and whether he would like it to be what it was for Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson is of no relevance. Neither are his opinions of what the Franchising rules are. Speaking through twitter or the media is probably a much less-effective manner in which to negotiate than to do so directly with the team through his agent or if need be, by holding out.

It's a business. Why does everyone care? Forte turned down big money last offseason, like an idiot. That was cash that would already be making money for him. I don't understand who f***ing advises these guys to pass on good contract offers. Was it f***ing CJ2K money? NO! And Forte didn't deserve that type of money.

Idiot. He should have taken the deal. He passed on it, and he can STFU about unfairly being paid top 5 money this year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 23, 2012 -> 12:10 PM)
He will be 37 during the 2012 season

Packers will only need him for a year, maybe two.

He was still ranked as top 5 center last year by Pro Football Focus.