2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
Knox returning to merely walking again is a small miracle. People counting on him on the field are fooling themselves. He was bent like a pretzel

I know it's going to take time, but the doctors have appeared impressively confident about that through this whole thing.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 08:18 AM)
I know it's going to take time, but the doctors have appeared impressively confident about that through this whole thing.

The NFL doesnt give players a very long window. If Knox returns and he doesnt have the speed that seperated him from other average height WRs, then he is just another guy.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
The NFL doesnt give players a very long window. If Knox returns and he doesnt have the speed that seperated him from other average height WRs, then he is just another guy.

They don't give players a "Long window" but they definitely give them "Lots of chances". He'll get at least this full season plus probably a couple more signings after this year to try and get back to being a decent WR option.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 26, 2012 -> 09:17 AM)
They don't give players a "Long window" but they definitely give them "Lots of chances". He'll get at least this full season plus probably a couple more signings after this year to try and get back to being a decent WR option.

k

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,5701927.story

Another former Chicago Bear has found a new home.

Cornerback Zack Bowman, who started 16 games in four years with the Bears, has agreed to a one-year deal with the Minnesota Vikings, according to ESPNChicago.com.

The Bears had no plans of bringing Bowman back after he struggled in his one start last season. Bowman replaced starter Tim Jennings for the Christmas night game at Green Bay, then found himself right back on the bench for the season-finale at Minnesota.

Bowman finished his Bears' career with 117 tackles, seven interceptions, two forced fumbles and a fumble recovery.

Ex-Bears Corey Graham and Caleb Hanie recently found new homes. Graham signed with the Ravens while Hanie joined Peyton Manning with the Broncos.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7738693/...job-sources-say

While seeking the counsel of his former boss and mentor, Bill Parcells, New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton has broached the idea of Parcells becoming the interim head coach during Payton's suspension for the 2012 season, according to several league sources.

Payton and Parcells have spoken numerous times, sources said, since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell announced last Wednesday that the Saints coach was being suspended for the year because the league found that the team had engaged in a bounty program that included incentives to injure opposing players.

Parcells

Parcells

Payton

Payton

Payton is contemplating an appeal of his stiff sentence, sources said. His suspension begins April 1 and will end after the Super Bowl.

However, under a number of problem-solving scenarios related to his suspension that he has discussed with Parcells, one of those scenarios has gauged Parcells' interest in taking over as interim head coach. Payton served as assistant head coach under Parcells when the two were with the Dallas Cowboys from 2003-05, and has sought his counsel on a regular basis since becoming the Saints coach in 2006.

It is uncertain whether Payton has discussed Parcells' candidacy as an interim head coach with Saints owner Tom Benson or general manager Mickey Loomis, who was handed an eight-game suspension.

Payton was unavailable for comment and Parcells, who is an NFL analyst for ESPN, did not return phone calls Monday afternoon.

Sources familiar with Parcells offer mixed opinions as to whether he would be tempted to fill Payton's shoes during the suspension if presented with a formal offer.

"As a friend of Sean's and a football guy, I'm sure he'd consider it but they're talking about a lot of things," said one source about Parcells. "In the end, I don't think it would happen. It makes sense but it's complicated."

Saints Bounty Scandal

An NFL investigation found that the New Orleans Saints operated a bounty system rewarding between 22 and 27 players for hard hits and injuring opposing players. ESPN.com Topics brings you full coverage of this developing story. Profile »

One complication is that Parcells, who was among the 10 finalists as a nominee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, would have to wait another five years once an interim coaching post is completed under the Hall of Fame's bylaws. One Hall of Fame official said the bylaws would have to be changed but did agree it is a unique situation that could merit discussion. The five-year Hall of Fame clock may not have to be restarted if Parcells took a role with the Saints that did not specifically involve coaching.

Payton also has discussed the various candidates on his own staff, including offensive coordinator Pete Carmichael Jr., offensive line coach Aaron Kromer and defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Outside candidates have been discussed but few, if any, have the experience or the intimate coaching relationship with Payton that Parcells offers.

The franchise would have to adhere to the Rooney Rule and interview at least one minority candidate if the Saints went outside their coaching staff to seek a coach to replace Payton for the 2012 season.

If Payton does appeal and persuades Goodell to reduce his penalty, it is unlikely he would try to coax Parcells into an interim job, sources said.

http://www.suntimes.com/11546770-606/ted-p...matt-forte.html

Ted Phillips says Bears made ‘strong offer’ to Matt Forte

BY SEAN JENSEN [email protected] March 26, 2012 11:08PM

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Team president and CEO Ted Phillips told the Sun-Times on Monday evening that the Bears have made Pro Bowl running back Matt Forte a “strong offer” and that they’re hopeful he’ll accept it.

“Not only do we appreciate him and have told him so, but the offer we’ve made him shows that, too. Now, different people can disagree on the ultimate value,” Phillips said. “But we feel we’ve made a strong offer to him, and are still hopeful he accepts it.”

It’s unclear when the Bears made their latest offer.

But Forte expressed his frustration after the club signed Michael Bush to a four-year contract late last week. But, Phillips said the team needs a “complementary” back and reiterated that the Bears have no intention of trading or parting ways with Forte.

“Matt Forte is our No. 1 running back. He’s been told that, and he knows that. We all know that. He’s going to be a Bear for 2012, at least,” Phillips said. “He knows he has a long-term offer on the table, and we hope, at some point and time, he chooses to accept that.”

Asked about some trade rumors, Phillips said, “I’m not going to comment on rumors.”

Phillips said Forte has been excellent for the club, both on and off the field.

“If he continues to play the way he has,” Phillips said. “I hope he continues to play here a long time.”

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
New OT rules have been passed. The same rules from the postseason now apply to all games.

Didn't like it originally, don't like it even more now.

All turnovers will now be reviewed, just like all TD's are reviewed. This saves Lovie Smith 2 challenges/timeouts a game.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
Didn't like it originally, don't like it even more now.

All turnovers will now be reviewed, just like all TD's are reviewed. This saves Lovie Smith 2 challenges/timeouts a game.

I like it better now that it is during the regular season and the playoffs. Two different ways was just stupid

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 01:25 PM)
I like it better now that it is during the regular season and the playoffs. Two different ways was just stupid

I agree that it is better to have it universally in the regular season and playoffs, but I just don't like the rule itself. Either make it a pure sudden-death, or give each team a possession. Period.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
OT should just be a 7:00 quarter.

If no one scores you can have a field goal competition.

That'd be like having a 5min NBA overtime and if it's still tied having a game of knock-out decide it.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 02:17 PM)
That'd be like having a 5min NBA overtime and if it's still tied having a game of knock-out decide it.

Or like hockey having a shoot out....

I was just kidding about the field goals, but I do think they should just have like a 7:00 quarter and if its still tied after that go to a sudden death.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 28, 2012 -> 02:27 PM)
I agree that it is better to have it universally in the regular season and playoffs, but I just don't like the rule itself. Either make it a pure sudden-death, or give each team a possession. Period.

I like the rule as-is.