2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
One other huge issue for the NFL that were not thinking about is that the players are getting paid outside the salary cap structure. Might seem like a small issue...except for that whole lockout thing. And for the fact that it's no longer a big leap to having some of that money come from a gambler.

The most I read for any bounty was 10G, and I think that was Favre. I don't think the league cares that they are making extra dough on the side, it isn't like these guys are doubling their paychecks

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is sports turning into a mirror of the "I AM OUTRAGED" laden hell that is national politics or has it been this way for a while? The people who've put themselves in charge of saving the world, the Balta's and StrangeSox's, are having a field day b****ing about things that are barely related to anything happening on a field.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 08:35 PM)
The most I read for any bounty was 10G, and I think that was Favre. I don't think the league cares that they are making extra dough on the side, it isn't like these guys are doubling their paychecks

It doesn't have to be huge for the teams to really be angry about the coaches paying these guys outside of collectively-bargained numbers.

According to the Bears' facebook account, they signed Kelvin Hayden.

And Jonathan Wilhite.

Also, I didn't see this mentioned yet, but Soldier Field will be the site of Peyton Manning's first pre-season game as a Bronco.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 6, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
And Jonathan Wilhite.

Also, I didn't see this mentioned yet, but Soldier Field will be the site of Peyton Manning's first pre-season game as a Bronco.

Sweet, maybe I'll be able to sell those tickets for more than the usual $20.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Apr 5, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
Right, there are already rules in place, so why the faux reaction? Williams went too far. But it's not some game-changing or earth-shattering secret that guys have always wanted to take other guys out. So long as it's within the rules and not cheap, illegal plays, it's just part of the sport IMO.

I just don't see the justification for giving the guy the death penalty for something that's not that far removed from what everyone acknowledges is a league-wide practice.

Right, the rules are in place. Williams, Payton and the Saints broke those rules. There is nothing 'faux' about the reaction. They broke the rules, got caught, were warned to stop, continued to ingnore the rules. It seems pretty simple to me.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...0,2850025.story

General manager Phil Emery has talked at length about what he’s seeking to stock the Chicago Bears roster, and words he has repeated multiple times include sudden, dynamic and playmakers.

If Chandler Jones is anything like his older brother Jon “Bones” Jones, the current UFC light heavyweight champion, he’s definitely sudden and likely dynamic. The Bears will get a closer look Thursday when they host the defensive end from Syracuse on a pre-draft visit, according to an NFL source.

Football also runs in the family of the 6-foot-5, 266-pound Jones. Arthur Jones, another brother, is a defensive lineman for the Baltimore Ravens.

Chandler Jones was a first-team All-Big East selection last season despite missing five games with a knee injury suffered in the season opener against Wake Forest. He had two sacks in a game vs. West Virginia and two forced fumbles against Connecticut. He's considered a developing talent. In three seasons, he was credited with 147 tackles, 27 stops for loss and 10 sacks, 4 1/2 of which came last season.

The popular prospect already has made visits to the Bills, Browns, Buccaneers, Jaguars, Jets and Panthers, according to Aaron Wilson of Scout.com. He’s also expected to visit the Dolphins.

Jones was timed as fast as 4.74 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine, and he put up 22 reps on the bench press at 225 pounds.

The Bears have also been keeping close tabs on another Big East defensive end, West Virginia’s Bruce Irvin.

[email protected]

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on SportsCenter Wednesday that franchise player Matt Forte will not participate in any team functions until a long-term contract is finalized.

"He's not signing anything until he has a long-term deal," emphasized Schefter. "And until he has that ... you will not see Matt Forte in Chicago." The frustrated Forte camp had remained relatively quiet on the issue until the Bears went out and signed Michael Bush. Now Forte is entrenched for at least the next few months while the Bears seem content to let him twist in the wind on the one-year franchise tender.

Given that news, I think you have to deal off Forte for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and then draft a back in the 2nd round to spell Bush. The Bears can't afford to pay Matt, and even if they could, I wouldn't want them to do so.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
Given that news, I think you have to deal off Forte for a 2nd or 3rd round pick and then draft a back in the 2nd round to spell Bush. The Bears can't afford to pay Matt, and even if they could, I wouldn't want them to do so.

Agreed. I really like the guy but there are backs coming out of college every year and we can lean on Bush in the meantime.

Also given that news they have 0 leverage on any team that wants him.

f*** that. Call his bluff, he won't sit out the season, not with a $7.7 million salary coming his way.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/footb...,0,766148.story

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

12:34 p.m. CDT, April 11, 2012

Lance Briggs made it known during the 2011 preseason that he wasn’t happy with his contract situation. On Wednesday, the Chicago Bears appeased their weak-side linebacker, agreeing to terms on a one-year contract extension that keeps him with the team through 2014.

Briggs told the Tribune last summer that halfway through his contract, he was ready for a new deal. The Bears didn't budge, the storm quickly subsided and Briggs has been quiet since.

Wednesday's move, which likely gives Briggs upfront money and is similar to what the team did previously with middle linebacker Brian Urlacher, prevents his contract from becoming a distraction.

Briggs has been selected to seven consecutive Pro Bowls. He led the defense with 147 tackles and 86 solos last season, when he also had one interception and two forced fumbles.

Briggs signed a $36 million, six-year contract in 2008 when he was an unrestricted free agent. The Bears had controlled him the previous season with the franchise tag, and when he entered the open market there were not a multitude of offers like he expected.

The deal was frontloaded with $22 million in the first three seasons. The big roster bonuses were all paid out and Briggs made only $3.65 million last season. He had just $10 million remaining on the contract as he was due to earn $3.75 million this season and $6.25 million in 2013.

Now, Briggs will likely get bonus money this year and the Bears will control his rights through 2014, when he will be 34.

The question now is what the Bears are going to do with Urlacher. His contract expires at the end of this season. It wouldn’t be surprising if he received a short-term extension, but these contracts and be emotional and difficult. Just recall what happened with center Olin Kreutz last summer.

[email protected]

Is there any way they could use that 2nd and this years 1st to trade up for Floyd or Blackmon (I realize Blackmon is probably a huge reach, but that'd be amazing)?

I'd love to basically "trade" Forte + high pick for a potential stud WR. The thought of having 2 #1 WR's is very exciting, but probably very unrealistic.

I don't get how they determine value of trade-ups. I know there's a chart with values, but when I see actual trades (like this year by the Redskins) it just throws everything off.

QUOTE (SexiAlexei @ Apr 11, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
Is there any way they could use that 2nd and this years 1st to trade up for Floyd or Blackmon (I realize Blackmon is probably a huge reach, but that'd be amazing)?

I'd love to basically "trade" Forte + high pick for a potential stud WR. The thought of having 2 #1 WR's is very exciting, but probably very unrealistic.

I don't get how they determine value of trade-ups. I know there's a chart with values, but when I see actual trades (like this year by the Redskins) it just throws everything off.

Those charts are outdated under the new CBA. With the monetary cost of top draft picks coming down greatly, the value of those picks rises tremendously. Because the cost of those players is less substantial, there is less long-term damage that can be done by a busted player.

When Cassel was traded to the Chiefs, there were rumors circulating that they offered the Patriots the 3rd overall pick and the Patriots turned it down because they didn't want to pay that much for an unproven player. That wouldn't happen anymore.