2012-2013 NFL Thread

So, let me make sure I understand how the cap is handled. The $100m/5yrs is $20m against the cap for the next 5 years. So, even if they cut him after this season (hypothetical, but not realistic), they are still "charged" $20m a year even if they arent actually paying him, correct?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:23 PM)
So, let me make sure I understand how the cap is handled. The $100m/5yrs is $20m against the cap for the next 5 years. So, even if they cut him after this season (hypothetical, but not realistic), they are still "charged" $20m a year even if they arent actually paying him, correct?

No. They are charged for only the years he is on the roster, though they have to be charged a penalty for any accrual of the prorated bonus. (Say he gets $40 million in bonus, and gets cut after 3 years, they'd have a $16 million penalty for the 4th year.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 03:28 PM)
Hope we don't give Forte too much. Lots of contracts expiring in the near future and we may have just a ton of money tied up in offensive skill players.

I have a feeling Hester might be the odd man out after the season if he doesn't have a decent year as the #3/4 WR. He'll be owed, IIRC, about $9M next season. They signed Weems to be the KR and Bennett can do the PR duties. They just drafted Jeffery to be their future with Marshall and Bennett. $9M is too much to pay a guy who is an average WR.

Also, they could cut Bush after the year if he follows in the tracks of being another wasted contract on a back-up RB. Thomas only got a 1 year deal. Toeaina might also go if he continues to be average. Idonije could always go if McClellin steps up or if he's just too ineffective.

I'm not too worried about it. Stein is great with the finances, IMO. Urlacher, Melton, and Cutler will be getting extensions sometime during the season, I'd bet.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jul 14, 2012 -> 09:01 PM)
I have a feeling Hester might be the odd man out after the season if he doesn't have a decent year as the #3/4 WR. He'll be owed, IIRC, about $9M next season. They signed Weems to be the KR and Bennett can do the PR duties. They just drafted Jeffery to be their future with Marshall and Bennett. $9M is too much to pay a guy who is an average WR.

Also, they could cut Bush after the year if he follows in the tracks of being another wasted contract on a back-up RB. Thomas only got a 1 year deal. Toeaina might also go if he continues to be average. Idonije could always go if McClellin steps up or if he's just too ineffective.

I'm not too worried about it. Stein is great with the finances, IMO. Urlacher, Melton, and Cutler will be getting extensions sometime during the season, I'd bet.

It'll basically come down to how good our drafts are. The good NFL teams in the long term are always able to build through the draft because it's the only way to keep your best players around without cap problems.

This would seem to be a good sign:

Israel ‏@iidonije

@MattForte22 Congrats Bro!! #BearDown

EDIT: And this...YEEE

Sean Jensen ‏@seankjensen

BREAKING: #Bears agree to terms with Pro Bowl RB Matt Forte on a long-term contract, according to source close to the situation.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
Cant find the terms but Id guess that Forte relented.

Moon Mullin seemed to think he would go back to the original offer that was floated, with the 15 mil guaranteed