2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 07:58 PM)

:lol: That about sums it up.

On the bright side: The guys in the replay booth are the same. They're not part of the referee union (or whatever it's considered). They're NFL employees. So while it's not a huge consolation, at least the replay booth guys are experienced.

Edited by dasox24

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
There is going to be a significant blown call in week 1, you can book it.

A random thought popped into my head this morning: what if the replacements are being this terrible on purpose in order to bolster the refs' leverage?

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 10:32 AM)
A random thought popped into my head this morning: what if the replacements are being this terrible on purpose in order to bolster the refs' leverage?

I dont know why they would, what would they gain?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 10:59 PM)
Barring bookers injury being bad he better be on the team over allen.

Its going to be so nice that the bears will audible now. I still cant believe Martz's stupid idea.

Warner made him believe it is the best idea ever

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Aug 30, 2012 -> 11:59 PM)
Barring bookers injury being bad he better be on the team over allen.

Its going to be so nice that the bears will audible now. I still cant believe Martz's stupid idea.

I'm not sure he's wrong and that audibles aren't vastly overrated, if you have a well designed playbook. Not allowing audibles probably is a pretty decent strategy...if you have a QB that really trusts his coordinator. Defenses at this point do such a good job of disguising their packages on 90% of the plays that if you're audibling out because of something you see before the snap, that setup probably isn't what the defense is doing anyway.

But...the QB has to be able to trust the coordinator and the system. If the QB thinks a run would work better than the called pass, he needs to know that he can still get the ball out and have the receiver open where he's supposed to be. If the QB doesn't trust that, then he's going to get frustrated if he can't switch the play.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
I'm not sure he's wrong and that audibles aren't vastly overrated, if you have a well designed playbook. Not allowing audibles probably is a pretty decent strategy...if you have a QB that really trusts his coordinator. Defenses at this point do such a good job of disguising their packages on 90% of the plays that if you're audibling out because of something you see before the snap, that setup probably isn't what the defense is doing anyway.

But...the QB has to be able to trust the coordinator and the system. If the QB thinks a run would work better than the called pass, he needs to know that he can still get the ball out and have the receiver open where he's supposed to be. If the QB doesn't trust that, then he's going to get frustrated if he can't switch the play.

QBs are taught to read defenses the same way defenses are taught to read offenses. How many times did we see the last few season the bears get totally blown up at the line or Cutler get destroyed because the defense knew what they were going to do? The Giants game specifically, you could tell they knew what was coming, and Jay had no choice but to take it.

The QB needs to trust the coordinator of course, but the coordinator should also trust the QB to make a change when necessary in order to save his ass

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:12 AM)
QBs are taught to read defenses the same way defenses are taught to read offenses. How many times did we see the last few season the bears get totally blown up at the line or Cutler get destroyed because the defense knew what they were going to do? The Giants game specifically, you could tell they knew what was coming, and Jay had no choice but to take it.

The QB needs to trust the coordinator of course, but the coordinator should also trust the QB to make a change when necessary in order to save his ass

My response here is: "the Bears getting totally blown up was the other big failing of Martz's system: assuming he still had a vintage 2001 Orlando Pace on his O-Line".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
My response here is: "the Bears getting totally blown up was the other big failing of Martz's system: assuming he still had a vintage 2001 Orlando Pace on his O-Line".

Dont you think Martz should have recognized that? You cant use a playbook designed for top 10 players at all offensive positions if you dont have top 10 players at all offensive positions.

That is my biggest criticism of Martz, KYP.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
Dont you think Martz should have recognized that? You cant use a playbook designed for top 10 players at all offensive positions if you dont have top 10 players at all offensive positions.

That is my biggest criticism of Martz, KYP.

Yes. And that is why he's gone.

Doesn't necessarily mean that he's wrong on the "audible" issue, but it does mean that he was at the least failing to do his job, and that he deserved to be replaced.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 10:18 AM)
Didn't help either that half the WR core (Hello, Devin!) ran the wrong routes.

Like it or not, that winds up at the foot of the OC as well. If he can't coach the guys he has, then he needs to have the GM get him guys who he can work with.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Yes. And that is why he's gone.

Doesn't necessarily mean that he's wrong on the "audible" issue, but it does mean that he was at the least failing to do his job, and that he deserved to be replaced.

I think that is part of the reason he is wrong. He is forcing an offense in that isnt working, and giving his QB no escape even when the QB realizes it will end up in a massive fail.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)

Audibles (imo) are one of the most important things for an offense.

You have have the best playbook in the world, but if the defense comes out in a strategy that is designed to beat that specific play, you are a fool to not audible. Furthermore, like you said, defenses disguise coverage, so it would be foolish for the offense to not also disguise what they are doing. Audibles also work as a way to trick the defense into changing out of their call. If they see the QB starting to call out a bunch of different things, they may change their play. Even if its only marginally effective, it still should be done.

For example, if you call a run and the defense comes out with 9 in the box, you are probably better off changing the play, regardless of whether the run play was the best designed play in the world.

Martz was a control freak who couldnt trust other people to make the right decision.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Aug 31, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
Reported Bears cuts so far:

McCown

McCoy

Golden

Clutts

Armando Allen (meaning Booker likely to win 3rd RB job).

Reported Bears additions:

Okoye

Wait, what? Really? They got him back?

Clutts and Armando Allen looked great. Don't see the sense in cutting them.

And Okoye is dealing with knee injury. Don't see the sense in bringing him back,

and McCown looked better in one game than Jason Campbell looked in all 3. Yeah, I said it.

Edited by RZZZA