2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:05 PM)
It's just amazing to me that so many took my dislike for the specifics of the rule as "THEY BLEW THAT CALL!! HE WASN'T OUT OF BOUNDS!!!". I already said they made the right call, I am just disappointed in what the rule actually is.

But like I said, forget it, move on, I can't win here. If it happened against some other team, maybe.

LOL

Your "specifics of a rule" are referring to a black-and-white rule. What's to win? He was OUT OF BOUNDS.

And to the rest of the world, I can still see the brilliant JCM24's posts.

It's just amazing to me that so many took my dislike for the specifics of the rule as "THEY BLEW THAT CALL!! HE WASN'T OUT OF BOUNDS!!!". I already said they made the right call, I am just disappointed in what the rule actually is.But like I said, forget it, move on, I can't win here. If it happened against some other team, maybe.

And again, this is the thing I just dont get. How can you be disappointed in what is ruled out of bounds? This isnt a subjective call here. The lines are there so you know, Chalk is OUT.

And you wont read what Steve writes, but if he is quoted you will see what he wrote in the quote

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
And again, this is the thing I just dont get. How can you be disappointed in what is ruled out of bounds? This isnt a subjective call here. The lines are there so you know, Chalk is OUT.

And you wont read what Steve writes, but if he is quoted you will see what he wrote in the quote

Yesterday, when Devin Hester dropped that 1st down catch, I just hated that it wasn't a catch. It would have been such a nice catch, so it's a stupid rule that you have to catch a ball to have it be a catch.

And the Robbie Gould field goal! OMG, the refs calling it missed just because he missed it is such a joke.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
But I don't know how this even goes against the spirit of any rule. Out of bounds is out of bounds. Period.

No, you're absolutely right. I was more referring to the other example they were discussing.

It's just amazing to me that so many took my dislike for the specifics of the rule as "THEY BLEW THAT CALL!! HE WASN'T OUT OF BOUNDS!!!". I already said they made the right call, I am just disappointed in what the rule actually is.

But like I said, forget it, move on, I can't win here. If it happened against some other team, maybe.

What would you make the rule then? It's OK to be out of bounds in the back of the end zone?

Yesterday, when Devin Hester dropped that 1st down catch, I just hated that it wasn't a catch. It would have been such a nice catch, so it's a stupid rule that you have to catch a ball to have it be a catch.

And the Robbie Gould field goal! OMG, the refs calling it missed just because he missed it is such a joke.

Wait a minute, if you catch another guy who catches the ball, that's a catch, right?

There used to be some subjectivity in what was in bounds via the force-out rule. There were too many complaints that the refs weren't being consistent, so the rule was changed and now it's 100% objective. In a game whose TV ratings are fueled by massive amounts of gambling, the NFL is going to make rules LESS subjective, not MORE.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
LOL

Your "specifics of a rule" are referring to a black-and-white rule. What's to win? He was OUT OF BOUNDS.

And to the rest of the world, I can still see the brilliant JCM24's posts.

Unfortunately, even if you ignore someone, you still see their posts when others quote them. It's been fun to read the absolute nonsense.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:39 PM)
There used to be some subjectivity in what was in bounds via the force-out rule. There were too many complaints that the refs weren't being consistent, so the rule was changed and now it's 100% objective. In a game whose TV ratings are fueled by massive amounts of gambling, the NFL is going to make rules LESS subjective, not MORE.

feet in bounds, sure. But no matter what, if the first appendage/bodypart touches the line, its out.

But how else can you have an "out of bounds" rule that wouldn't call that clearly "out of bounds"??

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
feet in bounds, sure. But no matter what, if the first appendage/bodypart touches the line, its out.

This wasn't a push-out, either. I don't see any way to have a logical rule about the boundaries of the playing field where that play is ruled a catch.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
This wasn't a push-out, either. I don't see any way to have a logical rule about the boundaries of the playing field where that play is ruled a catch.

Bottom line is it truly is a game of inches...this was one of those instances where the inches came into play.

Well now that we have 2 pages or so stating that being out of bounds is a good rule going to talk about the Bears again. Little concerned that 2 weeks in a row they let a receiver go up the middle of the field wide open, last week Calvin just happened to drop the ball. I know every good team has some ugly games and in the NFL a win is a win but I hope the Bears take a game like this and make some necessary improvements and I hope Tice improves as the season goes along with play calling.... it was criminal that we didn't run more in first half when every Forte carry was going for at least 6 yards.

Edited by GoodAsGould

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)

I too wish they would sometimes not call out of bounds when it actually was out of bounds. Silly refs.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
Well now that we have 2 pages or so stating that being out of bounds is a good rule going to talk about the Bears again. Little concerned that 2 weeks in a row they let a receiver go up the middle of the field wide open, last week Calvin just happened to drop the ball. I know every good team has some ugly games and in the NFL a win is a win but I hope the Bears take a game like this and make some necessary improvements and I hope Tice improves as the season goes along with play calling.... it was criminal that we didn't run more in first half when every Forte carry was going for at least 6 yards.

Yeah, better that we played like this at home because it probably allowed us to still win, whereas if we go out like that on the road we probably lose.

Gruden made me laugh on MNF..............got his picture taken with Kiss which they showed and Gruden said he meet Ace Frehley............Frehley and Peter Criss have been gone 5 years now. Memo to Gruden you meet Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer! :lolhitting

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 29, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Holy hell are the Cardinals bad. Tackle somebody. And that decision to punt on 4th down from the 37 was Ron Rivera-esque.

I was so baffled by that decision. Jay Feely has a long of 61 yards this year and they punt!?

It's amazing how quickly the NFC regained dominance in the football world. It wasn't but 2 years ago that the NFC was still the stepchild. Now I'm not even sure I'd take the Texans over any of those top 4 NFC teams, and I probably wouldn't take them against the Packers either.