2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 12:13 PM)
Jamarcus Russell, obviously.

I think that sounds fair. I think they should increase the penalty for offensive interference too, atleast to the 15 yards.

I would make the yardage minor but do loss of down.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it should be like minimum 15 yards, maximum is halfway between 15 yards & the spot of the foul? Anything inside the 30 could be half the distance to the goalline.

That's fair, but impractical. Are we going to have the refs keep compasses and protractors to measure halfway between 15 yards and the spot?'

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 12:25 PM)
That's fair, but impractical. Are we going to have the refs keep compasses and protractors to measure halfway between 15 yards and the spot?'

They manage to figure out half the distance to the goal line pretty easily.

If the line of scrimmage is at the 50, foul happens in the end zone, half of 50 yards would be the 25. Line of scrimmage is at the offense's 32, foul happens at defense's 24, half of that is 22 yards, put the ball on the defense's 46.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 12:48 PM)
Pointed out by a friend of mine from Philly:

Philadelphia Eagles last win: Sunday 9/30

Philadelphia Phillies last win: Monday 10/1

That was pointed out on Monday Night Countdown last night.

They manage to figure out half the distance to the goal line pretty easily.

If the line of scrimmage is at the 50, foul happens in the end zone, half of 50 yards would be the 25. Line of scrimmage is at the offense's 32, foul happens at defense's 24, half of that is 22 yards, put the ball on the defense's 46.

Half the distance to the goal line (a) only occurs inside the opponents' 30 yard line (b) involves zero (goal line) as one of the endpoints. You start asking refs to find the midpoint between the offense's 32 and the defense's 24 and you're asking for problems.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Half the distance to the goal line (a) only occurs inside the opponents' 30 yard line (b) involves zero (goal line) as one of the endpoints. You start asking refs to find the midpoint between the offense's 32 and the defense's 24 and you're asking for problems.

True, it's not the perfect answer. I just think that 15 yards is too little with long passing plays, but the spot of the foul can be way too big of an advantage for the offense.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:11 PM)
The Eagles are so f***ing bad. Remember when they signed 3 of the best defensive FAs two years ago? Asomugha sucks. Where the hell is Cullen Jenkins? Only Jason Babin gets noted here or there when you watch their games. You can't buy yourself a championship in football.

And Babin just got cut accoring to Adam Schefter

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
I have no clue what the hell happened to Asomugha...

I'm no expert, so don't quote me on this, but I remeber hearing that the Eagles system is partly to blame. With Oakland, they just stuck him on the #1 receiver and let him do his thing. But in Philly, it's more of a zone-type defense, so he was asked to play different coverage schemes. That takes away from what he is best at, which is why people questioned Philly's move to give him so much money.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 02:13 PM)
I'm no expert, so don't quote me on this, but I remeber hearing that the Eagles system is partly to blame. With Oakland, they just stuck him on the #1 receiver and let him do his thing. But in Philly, it's more of a zone-type defense, so he was asked to play different coverage schemes. That takes away from what he is best at, which is why people questioned Philly's move to give him so much money.

I actually think in Oakland he was usually on one side. He didn't follow around the best receiver. That was a big difference between him and Revis.

You're correct about man vs zone though. Philly plays him in zone. Or did last year at least. Oakland played a lot of man to man and even played a decent amount of cover 0 with man underneath. Namdi is clearly a great man defender and I'm not sure why they didn't change to man principles.

everytime i watched an eagles game they were mentioning how he even looks lost when in Man defense now. The guy seems to have lost his way

Its kind of funny that Babin got cut. Yesterday before the game he put "Its always darkest before Dawn" on twitter with a shadowed picture of his face.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 02:52 PM)
everytime i watched an eagles game they were mentioning how he even looks lost when in Man defense now. The guy seems to have lost his way

Its kind of funny that Babin got cut. Yesterday before the game he put "Its always darkest before Dawn" on twitter with a shadowed picture of his face.

I'm sure he doesn't have confidence in what he's doing anymore. If he finds a system where they will play him pretty much exclusively in man coverage and basically cater to his needs, he'll get it back if just for a couple years.

I haven't seen the Bills play much - tends to happen when they're bad and they're 2000 miles from your hometown - but it seems to me they run quite a bit of Man Cover 2. They have a strong man CB in Gilmore, so that would be awesome.

/daydreaming

I think at the end of Reid's tenure here, he got away from getting guys that fit his style and started picking up the most talented guys he could get. That has obviously not worked out. Michael Vick is not a west coast QB, DeSean Jackson is not a west coast WR, and Nnamdi is not a zone cover corner (and neither is DRC for that matter).

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Bears signed C/G Andre Gurode.

A 127-game starter with the Cowboys and Ravens, Gurode takes the roster spot of DT Amobi Okoye, who was waived in a corresponding move.

Not a corpse.

34 years old, but a 5-time Pro Bowler in 2006-2010. Of course, there is probably a reason why he is not on a roster, but better than a corpse.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
Wow, Trent Dilfer said something positive about Cutler? What is this world coming to?

At some point last season, Dilfer basically said "f*** it" in the postmortem of a Bears night game and did a 180 and he's been basically pro-Cutler ever since. What he said was along the lines of "I criticize him because it doesn't look like how I think it's supposed to look, but he manages to get it done anyway"

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 04:43 PM)
The Chiefs aren't that far away, honestly.

They just need a QB and a new coaching staff.

That's actually pretty far, lol

On the bright side, they suck so bad this year they'll have a legit shot at getting a real QB in the draft.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 11:12 PM)
It is?

Colts?

They had the first overall pick in the year that the best quarterback prospect since the other guy entered the league, that was very lucky. Had that been, say, the 2005 draft? Or the 2002 draft? Not as much.