2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
So a little off topic, but I just got my first paycheck and want to do some betting on tomorrows games, I know a couple of people have posted about their bets on this thread. What site do you all use and if you don't mind maybe pm me or post some friendly advice.

Open a savings account

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 12:07 PM)
So a little off topic, but I just got my first paycheck and want to do some betting on tomorrows games, I know a couple of people have posted about their bets on this thread. What site do you all use and if you don't mind maybe pm me or post some friendly advice.

Bet against the Chiefs.

Seriously though, every single player on that team has to be contemplating suicide each week. I have respect for them for not taking the easy way out.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
Bet against the Chiefs.

Seriously though, every single player on that team has to be contemplating suicide each week. I have respect for them for not taking the easy way out.

1. No lines are up for the game anymore and I doubt there will be one posted for tomorrow.

2. Try a little harder next time.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
1. No lines are up for the game anymore and I doubt there will be one posted for tomorrow.

2. Try a little harder next time.

Lines are back up in Vegas at most books...looks like the oddsmakers bumped the line up from Car -3 to Car -3.5 in most places.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)

I use 5dimes because they take my credit card. They also allow Western Union deposits/payouts and they are quick at processing those. I'd suggest doing WU but you will have to pay about 10-15 in sending fees and they take about $30 in fees for payouts. Also you have to send a min. of $100 for Western Union or Moneygram.

Even though I do like gambling and talk about it, I do think you should really think it over before doing so. I'm sure you know the risks and how some people can really get addicted to it. I saw someone basically waste 10 years of his life just gambling non stop and blowing through his money.

Money management is the key. There is so much more than just seeing a number and taking it because you think Team A will cover the 4 point spread. Read about line movements and key numbers. Dont bet on what you dont know.

Just be smart.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
Lines are back up in Vegas at most books...looks like the oddsmakers bumped the line up from Car -3 to Car -3.5 in most places.

wow, I looked on 5dimes earlier and saw nothing.

No way would I touch that game.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 02:06 PM)
I use 5dimes because they take my credit card. They also allow Western Union deposits/payouts and they are quick at processing those. I'd suggest doing WU but you will have to pay about 10-15 in sending fees and they take about $30 in fees for payouts. Also you have to send a min. of $100 for Western Union or Moneygram.

Even though I do like gambling and talk about it, I do think you should really think it over before doing so. I'm sure you know the risks and how some people can really get addicted to it. I saw someone basically waste 10 years of his life just gambling non stop and blowing through his money.

Money management is the key. There is so much more than just seeing a number and taking it because you think Team A will cover the 4 point spread. Read about line movements and key numbers. Dont bet on what you dont know.

Just be smart.

For sure...I honestly pretty much just bet NFL football, because 90% of it takes place on one day of the week. I don't bet the NBA, NCAAs or MLB, (except on rare occasions, such as when a friend comes into town and wants to, or the playoff games), because once you get into those, there are games every single day. I don't want to get caught up in gambling that often. By betting the NFL, I limit myself to basically one day a week, which allows me to just live a normal life the other 6 days of the week.

As for tips, I don't even really know what to say...there are tons of people out there who claim to have systems, or that will give you trends and angles, but honestly, none of them work. Each game is it's own game, and anything can happen on any given day. A lot of people will tell you to fade the public, because the books exploit the average bettor, but that isn't necessarily true. A lot of sharps will play "spots" rather than teams.

What I do is I just watch as much NFL football as possible. I focus on key strengths and weaknesses and how teams generally react to adversity or in the spotlight. I try to spot trends and streaks with each team, such as when a team's offense or defense is really clicking.

I usually stay away from big lines unless I am really confident that the underdog simply cannot score points against the favorite. This is rare in the NFL since the disparity between teams simply isn't that great...however, sometimes it does happen, such as when you have a team like the Jaguars trying to develop an awful qb like Blaine Gabbert.

Anyways, we could go on and on and on about it, but just have fun with it. Don't get too serious about it, because unless you are willing to devote your life to it, you really aren't going to make a killing betting sports over the long haul. I've had seasons where I've won several thousands of dollars, such as 2010, and I've had seasons where I've lost several hundred dollars (this year I am probably down about $1,000). But I consider it entertainment, which is what it is for me.

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 02:55 PM)
They better play tomorrow, I got Cam Newton going and I need a big week to clinch the playoffs in fantasy

What would it matter if they played Mon or Tues?

This is going to be an awkward situation tomorrow, do the Chiefs have a little ceremony or moment of silence for him, I mean he did kill someone else?

Anyway, what a terribly sad story, especially for the coach and the other guy.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
Yeah, I used to play online poker but of course that is on the rocks now. Any specific reason you use Western Union if the site accepts your credit card?

Well I mostly deposit with my credit card to avoid the fees. But some sites my card is blocked so I'd find a site that does WU. But 5dimes takes my card so I'm good there. But I always request payouts by WU or Moneygram to avoid hassles with getting a check sent back.

If you do use your card, be prepared to fill out a form and to make a photo copy of the card and to fax/email it to the site for verification before requesting a payout. It's only a one time thing.

Just make sure to read the deposits/payouts rules before doing anything.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 1, 2012 -> 04:09 PM)
This is going to be an awkward situation tomorrow, do the Chiefs have a little ceremony or moment of silence for him, I mean he did kill someone else?

Anyway, what a terribly sad story, especially for the coach and the other guy.

Cant act like nothing happened though.

I say do a moment of silence for the girlfriend, their kid, her family and the player's family. All of them are the victims in this situation.