2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 07:44 PM)
You are correct in that there is no Sunday night game in Week 17. Teams complained about the potential Sunday night/Saturday afternoon turnaround for a playoff game.

There is a Sunday night game, they just wait til Monday to announce it to ensure maximum playoff implications. 100% guarantee it will be Cowboys/Redskins, since the winner gets the NFC East.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Assuming SEA holds on to this lead, the Packers can clinch the #2 seed with a win next Sunday. That happens and the Bears beat Detroit, Bears clinch the #6 seed, which most likely means they go back to San Fran in the Wild Card round. Uh oh.

It's either that or Green Bay. First round exit either way.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:15 PM)
Seattle outscored their opponents 136-23 in the last 10 quarters of play.

Before SF scored, they were on a 100-0 run at home, going back to the 1st quarter of the Jets game. Too bad for them, they need the Cards to win in SF next week to get a home playoff game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 09:12 PM)
It's either that or Green Bay. First round exit either way.

I'd rather play Green Bay personally, but unless San Fran has a miraculous comeback in them tonight, the Bears' only potential playoff opponents are San Fran & Seattle.

Yahoo has this snazzy playoff scenario generator to see potential playoff matchups.

Assuming SEA holds on to this lead, the Packers can clinch the #2 seed with a win next Sunday. That happens and the Bears beat Detroit, Bears clinch the #6 seed, which most likely means they go back to San Fran in the Wild Card round. Uh oh.

I never ever root for the team that employed Charles Martin, even if it means the Bears missing the playoffs.

DAL-WAS got moved to 7:30 with the NFC East up for grabs

GB-MIN got moved to 3:25, at the same time as STL-SEA and ARI-SF, so all 3 of those teams are potentially playing for a first round bye

Bears-Lions is at noon, so Bears win and they sit in the locker room and watch GB-MIN with their season on the line to potentially get crushed @ SF or SEA.

I think Luck is going to finish third in the race. On sheer numbers, RGIII and Wilson are the top two. RGIII is the better choice number wise from Wilson, too, with terrific passing numbers in addition to the running numbers. But what Luck has done in taking a 2-14 team to possibly 11-5 is amazing and probably is more impressive than passing numbers. But I think those types of statistics are tangible and that is usually what writers vote based on of.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Dec 23, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
The Packers will still have to win to guarantee the number 2 seed if the Niners lose tonight

They probably have more to play for now, since they can realistically get the 2 seed. Prior to this, it would have been pretty tough given that the Niners still played Arizona. Now they are in the driver seat for that bye.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
RG III and Wilson have been better then Luck. Doesn't mean they'll win the MVP or that I'd take either of them over Luck long-term, but I'd vote Wilson for MVP.

I disagree here. RG3 and Wilson had better teams around them when they came in. Luck is literally all that team has, for crying out loud they gave up 500 yards to the Chiefs yesterday. Their Secondary is good enough to make Jay Cutler look like Tom Brayd. Luck's only help is Reggie Wayne, and he's literally carried that team.

Oh, and for MVP, I'll take Peterson. Again, absolutely nothing around him and carrying the entire load for the team.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
I disagree here. RG3 and Wilson had better teams around them when they came in. Luck is literally all that team has, for crying out loud they gave up 500 yards to the Chiefs yesterday. Their Secondary is good enough to make Jay Cutler look like Tom Brayd. Luck's only help is Reggie Wayne, and he's literally carried that team.

Oh, and for MVP, I'll take Peterson. Again, absolutely nothing around him and carrying the entire load for the team.

Wilson has been absolutely crazy. I think Indy has by and large benefited by having a 2-14 schedule. They did have the big win against the Packers but other then that, they've really fluked their way here. I'd say Seattle or Washington could go somewhere and win a playoff game, no chance the Colts do. They are a very bad playoff team.

But that isn't to take away from the fact that they are a cool story, etc.

Balta...I agree with you on MVP. Peterson has been incredible and single-handedly carried that squad. Manning's team was good and made the AFC championship with Tim Tebow.

However, Seattle wasn't very good and while they have an elite defense, Wilson has been so impressive and has done so against better teams then Luck has. Additionally, RG III wasn't exactly on a great team. The Redskins have had very little defensive talent stay healthy and have a pretty megshift offense. Shanny has done a great job there.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 01:39 PM)

I'm with you, Balta, for those exact reasons. Luck is definitely my choice for ROY. I have:

1) Luck

2) RGIII

3) Wilson

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2012 -> 01:15 PM)
Balta...I agree with you on MVP. Peterson has been incredible and single-handedly carried that squad. Manning's team was good and made the AFC championship with Tim Tebow.

However, Seattle wasn't very good and while they have an elite defense, Wilson has been so impressive and has done so against better teams then Luck has. Additionally, RG III wasn't exactly on a great team. The Redskins have had very little defensive talent stay healthy and have a pretty megshift offense. Shanny has done a great job there.

2nd round, not the afc championship for the Broncos but your point remains.

I think Indy has by and large benefited by having a 2-14 schedule.

But a last place schedule is only 2 of the 16 games.

Each division team plays the 6 within the division. Places the same division within the conference and the same division from the other conference. That's 14 games right there.

Even if Indy wouldve lost those 2 games, they would still be 8-7 which is good enough to be the 6th seed in the AFC right now.