2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 07:08 AM)
The gif of RGIII's knee...... If there isnt damage in there that requires surgery I will be amazed.

Wasn't the previous injury to the LCL? That's what I thought I heard. This injury is to the MCL or ACL. This video really shows how well braces work. If it's the MCL there will likely be no surgery as they only do those for last resort because they are difficult and don't do well. If it's the ACL....well those happen.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 07:33 AM)
Wasn't the previous injury to the LCL? That's what I thought I heard. This injury is to the MCL or ACL. This video really shows how well braces work. If it's the MCL there will likely be no surgery as they only do those for last resort because they are difficult and don't do well. If it's the ACL....well those happen.

Not very well?

He blew out his ACL once in college, and was very vague in his postgame comments on whether he thought he did it again.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 08:44 AM)
Not very well?

He blew out his ACL once in college, and was very vague in his postgame comments on whether he thought he did it again.

I can't believe he'd have been walking around on the sidelines if he had a torn ACL. If nothing else I have to figure they'd immobilize it and be icing it, particularly in preparation for the surgery.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 07:44 AM)
Not very well?

Research shows that braces are useless. They slide around too much to do any good. An ACL is entirely possible with that movement pattern.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 07:57 AM)
I can't believe he'd have been walking around on the sidelines if he had a torn ACL. If nothing else I have to figure they'd immobilize it and be icing it, particularly in preparation for the surgery.

This is true. However, it is more difficult to determine an ACL tear on a previously reconstructed knee. The tests aren't as accurate and it doesn't swell up the same. He probably didn't tear it because they let him walk around out there but I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2013 -> 09:36 PM)
He was making the point the the Nats kept a player coming off an injury off the field when he was could play but was at risk for further injury. While the Redskins took a player coming off an injury c and played him when there was a risk of further injury and it happened.

The drive the Redskins should have pulled him at was the one where he limped to the sidelines for an 8 yard scamper. Healthy he'd have turned that upfield for maybe 20 yards, maybe more. He followed that by a couple of poorly placed throws, IIRC, one of which went well over the receiver's head, which made me really start thinking he couldn't plant with the foot to throw accurately either. I mean, this guy threw for a 65% completion in the regular season and 52% yesterday.

He couldn't help them by running and he couldn't throw the ball accurately. I have no issue with them starting him, but by that point, mid-3rd quarter, you have to say "The Seahawks are coming back in this game and no matter whether or not he got me here, I need someone who gives me a chance at points today".

It's a ballsy move to take him out when he can still walk, I'll grant, but it was the move that gave the Skins the best chance to win.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:01 AM)
This is true. However, it is more difficult to determine an ACL tear on a previously reconstructed knee. The tests aren't as accurate and it doesn't swell up the same. He probably didn't tear it because they let him walk around out there but I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

He was also examined by Dr. James Andrews on the sidelines. I cannot believe they wouldn't immobilize him if he was en route to surgery.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 08:02 AM)
The drive the Redskins should have pulled him at was the one where he limped to the sidelines for an 8 yard scamper. Healthy he'd have turned that upfield for maybe 20 yards, maybe more. He followed that by a couple of poorly placed throws, IIRC, one of which went well over the receiver's head, which made me really start thinking he couldn't plant with the foot to throw accurately either. I mean, this guy threw for a 65% completion in the regular season and 52% yesterday.

He couldn't help them by running and he couldn't throw the ball accurately. I have no issue with them starting him, but by that point, mid-3rd quarter, you have to say "The Seahawks are coming back in this game and no matter whether or not he got me here, I need someone who gives me a chance at points today".

It's a ballsy move to take him out when he can still walk, I'll grant, but it was the move that gave the Skins the best chance to win.

Yea it was plainly obvious that RGIII was not right, and as Cousins showed in the season that he was a capable backup.

He was also examined by Dr. James Andrews on the sidelines. I cannot believe they wouldn't immobilize him if he was en route to surgery.

He wouldn't go into surgery right away. There is usually a 1-3 week waiting period after the injury to allow the swelling to go down and to regain full ROM. The rehab will be easier and he would return to sport faster if this is done.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:07 AM)
He wouldn't go into surgery right away. There is usually a 1-3 week waiting period after the injury to allow the swelling to go down and to regain full ROM. The rehab will be easier and he would return to sport faster if this is done.

You know better than I do though that the waiting period for this surgery is supposed to be for the swelling to go down.

Especially in the long term. Short term gains sacrificing long term health is usually not a recipe for athletes, when it's a significant injury and player.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 08:08 AM)
You know better than I do though that the waiting period for this surgery is supposed to be for the swelling to go down.

The range of motion is the key. It's difficult to get the motion after the surgery if they didn't have it going in.

Interestingly enough the first real high profile athlete this was done with was Ozzie Guillen after he had that collision with Tim Raines. Up until that point it was common place to do the surgery as soon as possible. It was the case that brought the idea to mainstream sports medicine.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 6, 2013 -> 08:36 PM)
He was making the point the the Nats kept a player coming off an injury off the field when he was could play but was at risk for further injury. While the Redskins took a player coming off an injury c and played him when there was a risk of further injury and it happened.

Strasburg was completely healed. (And I don't agree with the Nats decision at all)

RGIII was visibly still injured and was playing at about 70% of his capability, if that.

Shanahan is an idiot. RGIII was clearly injured and barely able to walk. This is not the first time he's done something like this. Mully was saying this morning that Shanahan put Tyrell Davis into a game even though he had a migraine that was blinding him. Shanahan wanted to use Davis as a diversion is a play action.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 08:36 AM)
Strasburg was completely healed. (And I don't agree with the Nats decision at all)

RGIII was visibly still injured and was playing at about 70% of his capability, if that.

The team obviously did not think he was 100% ready for the full workload otherwise they wouldn't have stopped his season.

The whole point being that the Nats were concerned about the long term health of the player not the short term gain of having him play.

The Redskins on the other hand were more concerned about the short term gain not his long term health and if he tore his ACL, they could pay for it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
The team obviously did not think he was 100% ready for the full workload otherwise they wouldn't have stopped his season.

The whole point being that the Nats were concerned about the long term health of the player not the short term gain of having him play.

The Redskins on the other hand were more concerned about the short term gain not his long term health and if he tore his ACL, they could pay for it.

The sad thing is, by the 2nd/3rd quarter, they weren't getting short term gains from playing him either, which makes the issue of leaving him in there even more frustrating.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 10:05 AM)
What did Bears fans think when Cutler sat out in the playoff game, when he was injured?

A lot of 49ers fans are torn, if Justin Smith should play this weekend

If the coach is making decisions to keep an injured player on the field because of what the fans think...he doesn't deserve to be the coach.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
What did Bears fans think when Cutler sat out in the playoff game, when he was injured?

A lot of 49ers fans are torn, if Justin Smith should play this weekend

Sore subject

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)

I had no problem with it.

Did anyone see these Tweets from Cameron Worrell??

Prior to the game- @KillaCamWorrell: Dear Jay Cutler, this is how you play in the playoffs through a knee injury. Signed, RG3.

After the injury- @KillaCamWorrell: RG3's play has certainly declined since I gave him props for playin hurt. But....

@KillaCamWorrell: I've torn my meniscus in the 1st quarter and finished the game. Dislocated my shoulder twice and finished the game...

@KillaCamWorrell: Totally separated my AC joint and broke a piece of my collarbone off and played six more games. All needed surgery.

‏@KillaCamWorrell: That's why I tweeted about Cutler not finishing. Only thing that forced me to not finish a game was a torn ACL and a torn ankle ligament

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)

Prior to the game- @KillaCamWorrell: Dear Jay Cutler, this is how you play in the playoffs through a knee injury. Signed, RG3.

After the injury- @KillaCamWorrell: RG3's play has certainly declined since I gave him props for playin hurt. But....

@KillaCamWorrell: I've torn my meniscus in the 1st quarter and finished the game. Dislocated my shoulder twice and finished the game...

@KillaCamWorrell: Totally separated my AC joint and broke a piece of my collarbone off and played six more games. All needed surgery.

‏@KillaCamWorrell: That's why I tweeted about Cutler not finishing. Only thing that forced me to not finish a game was a torn ACL and a torn ankle ligament

The same killah cam worrell that has been out of the league since 08?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)

The real question is why would anyone follow Cameron Worrell? Maybe if he was better at football he would have been a teammate of Cutler's in Chicago, instead of being out of the league before the age 30.