2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:02 PM)
They go to it way too early and it costs them...but I'll say this for Lovie Smith's prevent defense...that doesn't happen.

that doesnt happen in 99% of prevent defenses. How often does that happen in pro football?

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 04:59 PM)
depending on how the view SMC, I wouldnt be opposed to this...Izzy can still get to the QB and so can Wootton. If they release Pep its gotta mean they're going to spend some money on the Oline which would make one less need to add via the draft so they can even grab another DE there at some point.

I also think Melton could be a big time DE.

Releasing Peppers would be a massive mistake. He makes this defense so much better and doesn't get near as much as credit as he should. Unless the Bears are moving him cause they are bringing in 2 all pro offensive linemen, count me out. Bears should be able to add a FA TE (a quality one), plus a good tackle or guard via FA, and resign Melton.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 11, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Youre right. He rated near the top overall among 4-3 DTs, but virtually all of his value was tied up in his pass rushing. He had a great rate ofstopping the run when he had the opportunity, but they noted that he penetrated himself all the way out of the play too often on runs. The lineman they like second most is Idonije, though Peppers still earning high marks.

And we play in a division where teams pass (outside of the Vikings, GB/Det do nothing but throw the ball) and we are in a passing league. It is huge to have Melton on this squad. Guy is a monster and he's gotten better each year.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 09:17 AM)
I am glad they are doing their homework, but I definitely want to see it come to a close quickly so the staff can be assembled. Although if McCoy is their guy, it will not be quick

Thats why I'm rooting for the the Ravens.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
Releasing Peppers would be a massive mistake. He makes this defense so much better and doesn't get near as much as credit as he should. Unless the Bears are moving him cause they are bringing in 2 all pro offensive linemen, count me out. Bears should be able to add a FA TE (a quality one), plus a good tackle or guard via FA, and resign Melton.

I'm not certain that the Bears have that kind of cap room. If Melton is say, an ~$8 million player, $5 million in cap holds, that only leaves a couple million for the O Line and TE you want.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 09:19 PM)

If thats the case then you keep him. The line is the only thing that needs to be addressed IMO so as long as they have the money to properly address it then Pep can stay.

Also, wow, what a game out in Denver. 4 hours in sub freezing conditions to boot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 05:24 PM)
I'm not certain that the Bears have that kind of cap room. If Melton is say, an ~$8 million player, $5 million in cap holds, that only leaves a couple million for the O Line and TE you want.

They will be somewhere near 15-18M free after they cut Hester, Spaeth, and Kellen Davis. That includes Melton at his current rate. They can find a way to get 3 guys in during that situation. I'm not talking about paying a TE 5M per year. There are a lot of quality TEs out there (I'm not looking for a Jimmy Graham...give me a Dustin Keller or Greg Olsen or Finley, etc).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
They will be somewhere near 15-18M free after they cut Hester, Spaeth, and Kellen Davis. That includes Melton at his current rate. They can find a way to get 3 guys in during that situation. I'm not talking about paying a TE 5M per year. There are a lot of quality TEs out there (I'm not looking for a Jimmy Graham...give me a Dustin Keller or Greg Olsen or Finley, etc).

Like I said, if Melton is an $7-$8 million player, and you have $5 million in cap holds, you have $5 million left for your TE and O-Lineman.

That's filler. That's not finding a good lineman and TE, that's finding depth.

I don't think that counts Urlacher either.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 05:29 PM)
Haha! Niners suck

I've been telling my Niners buddy the whole time I think Kaperneck has a ton of issues and does not make them better this year. We'll see if I'm right on this. Alex Smith played so well for them this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)
Like I said, if Melton is an $7-$8 million player, and you have $5 million in cap holds, you have $5 million left for your TE and O-Lineman.

You can change how you spread things out to fit 3 guys. Wow...Manning picked.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2013 -> 05:30 PM)

I am not paying Urlacher anything close to what he made last year if I'm the GM. If have 18M, I can easily spread 7M on a OT and 7M on Melton and then that leaves 3M for a TE. There are probably other things that could be done too (which includes renegotiating some vet deals, etc).