2012-2013 NFL Thread

If money isnt a thing?

The Bears could have gone after Cowher.

Otherwise it really does not make a lot of sense to fire a coach of a team on its last legs. The reality is, not many offensive players have left the Bears to be world beaters. Lovie has not had an amazing GM. He may have had his flaws, but if you seriously look at the past Bears teams, they had a lot of deficiencies, especially on offense.

I just think he deserved 1 more year.

Cowher has said that he doesn't want to coach next year

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
Cowher has said that he doesn't want to coach next year

It doesnt matter. The entire premise of my argument is the Bears shouldnt be firing Lovie this year. Its a terrible year for hiring coaches when there are a bunch of vacancies and you arent going to bid competitively.

And it also doesnt matter because the Bears were never going to hire a coach like that.

The Bears have a brand new GM who wants to prove himself. He isnt going to hire a coach who wants a lot of control. That means you are not going to be able to hire most of the top candidates who already have experrience.

Its not really shocking at all.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:30 PM)
If money isnt a thing?

The Bears could have gone after Cowher.

Otherwise it really does not make a lot of sense to fire a coach of a team on its last legs. The reality is, not many offensive players have left the Bears to be world beaters. Lovie has not had an amazing GM. He may have had his flaws, but if you seriously look at the past Bears teams, they had a lot of deficiencies, especially on offense.

I just think he deserved 1 more year.

I really don't get the fascination with Cowher...he doesn't strike me as some incredibly intelligent guy or amazing leader...and it's not like Tomlin didn't walk in and do the exact same thing with that team as Cowher did.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:28 PM)
Exactly. For the Sox the only one I can come up with in recent memory is Fregosi. I can't think of one for the Bulls. For the Hawks, I think it's Keenan.

Coach Q had about ten years of head coaching experience before this stint with the Hawks.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)
I really don't get the fascination with Cowher...he doesn't strike me as some incredibly intelligent guy or amazing leader...and it's not like Tomlin didn't walk in and do the exact same thing with that team as Cowher did.

Cowher isnt going to come to a team that wont spend a ton of money. If the Bears hired Cowher it would mean that they were going to spend a ton on coaches, and Id be excited.

Its not about who Id hire this year, its more about why keeping Lovie 1 more year was the better decision for the team as currently constructed.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:42 PM)

He is from Pennsylvania, has one Super Bowl ring, and has a mustache. Sounds just like a past Bears coach. :huh

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:43 PM)
Coach Q had about ten years of head coaching experience before this stint with the Hawks.

That's right. It's been so long since they played I forgot about the current coach. :D

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:47 PM)
The Bears fired Lovie a season to late, they should have fired him after the 2011 season and should've hired Jeff Fisher.

I also would agree with this.

If you are going to hire a new gm, you might as well get rid of the coach too. Whether or not they chose Fischer, it would have been much smarter to do them both at the same time. 1 year of transition instead of 2.

(edit)

Unless the new GM is on the same page as the coach and wants him. But not if hes going to fire him the next year.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:40 PM)
It doesnt matter. The entire premise of my argument is the Bears shouldnt be firing Lovie this year. Its a terrible year for hiring coaches when there are a bunch of vacancies and you arent going to bid competitively.

And it also doesnt matter because the Bears were never going to hire a coach like that.

The Bears have a brand new GM who wants to prove himself. He isnt going to hire a coach who wants a lot of control. That means you are not going to be able to hire most of the top candidates who already have experrience.

Its not really shocking at all.

I think this is a good thing. Very few people can do both jobs and have success. But I still agree with your overall premise. When they fired Lovie, you has to hope emery knew what he is doing because it was going to be a "prospect" coach hire.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:49 PM)
I also would agree with this.

If you are going to hire a new gm, you might as well get rid of the coach too. Whether or not they chose Fischer, it would have been much smarter to do them both at the same time. 1 year of transition instead of 2.

(edit)

Unless the new GM is on the same page as the coach and wants him. But not if hes going to fire him the next year.

Which is why it's f***ing dumb that Emery didn't even have the ability to fire Lovie when he was brought in.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:51 PM)
Which is why it's f***ing dumb that Emery didn't even have the ability to fire Lovie when he was brought in.

The way Emery is going about this coaching search, he probably wanted to evaluate Lovie for a year before deciding on keeping him or not. He seems to be a detailed person not impulsive, kind of like Hahn is appearing to be.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:53 PM)
The way Emery is going about this coaching search, he probably wanted to evaluate Lovie for a year before deciding on keeping him or not. He seems to be a detailed person not impulsive, kind of like Hahn is appearing to be.

That may be the case but at the same time doesn't make it smart for the ownership to say "you can't pick a new coach". Perhaps Emery would have chosen that anyway, but it shouldn't have been a mandate.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:55 PM)
That may be the case but at the same time doesn't make it smart for the ownership to say "you can't pick a new coach". Perhaps Emery would have chosen that anyway, but it shouldn't have been a mandate.

I agree. I just didn't know that Phillips gave him that mandate.

The Chicago Tribune's Vaughn McClure has been told Marc Trestman is the "heavy favorite" for the Bears head-coaching vacancy.

McClure said earlier on Monday evening that he would "not be surprised if Trestman was the last man standing," so this takes it a step further. McClure's colleague, David Haugh, reports that Trestman and Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell are the only two that will be brought back for follow-up interviews while the Chicago Sun-Times reports that Bruce Arians is a third finalist. FOX NFL Sunday analyst Jimmy Johnson tweeted on Friday that it "looks like" Trestman was going to get the job in Chicago.

Per Rotoworld

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 09:50 PM)
I think this is a good thing. Very few people can do both jobs and have success. But I still agree with your overall premise. When they fired Lovie, you has to hope emery knew what he is doing because it was going to be a "prospect" coach hire.

I think Emery is an idiot. If you don't think the coach's philosophy is right, cool, go ahead and fire him. But when you fire him, you better know damn well who shares the same philosophy as you. Seems to me, Emery didn't want Lovie, but didn't know why other than he wanted someone fresh. I come to that conclusion based on the fact that he stated he had to be convinced by a coach to stop using the cover-2, by the fact that he went through coaches in 2 different leagues, coaches who don't call their own plays, some who do, and special teams coaches. In my honest opinion, he really had no idea what he wanted to do, and he's just going to hire someone who he thinks is best out of the candidates out there who will come on the cheap(which is part the Bears fault since they don't hire anyone with experience/looking for money) which is going to make his 1st draft look worse.

I don't really see any way they could have kept Lovie.

You weren't going to get a decent OC to come to this team if Lovie was on his last year. This either meant extend his contract or stick with the same offense... Neither of those ideas sound good to me.

I was just hoping we'd get Arians or McCoy, oh well.

I think Emery knows exactly what he wants and probably knows that none of the retreads apparently give him that. I'll be honest, from what I know of Trestman (there's only so much any of us can know about these guys), he seems like a pretty good hire. I'm getting the impression that he's in Montreal because he likes it, not because he couldn't be someone's OC -- he wants to be an HC. Now, we can say we hired an experienced OC with a reputation of turning around middling QBs who has also been the HC of professional football players.

If Emery knows exactly what he wants, why are the alleged 2 finalists not very similar?

Youd expect 2 OC's with similar philosophies, not 2 OC's who might as well come from different planets.

Trestman- Alouttes are top 3 passing attempts. http://en.montrealalouettes.com/statistics...ssing/year/2012 If you compare passing to runs, its approximately 2 passes to every run.

Bevell- University of Wisconsin graduate. QB for Barry Alvarez. You set the pass up with the run. Seattle 2012, more runs than passes.

If you look historically Bevell's teams are much more balanced or slightly run leaning. Trestman is almost always pass leaning.

How can you know exactly what you want if you arent even sure if you want a pass first offense or a run first offense?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
If Emery knows exactly what he wants, why are the alleged 2 finalists not very similar?

Youd expect 2 OC's with similar philosophies, not 2 OC's who might as well come from different planets.

Trestman- Alouttes are top 3 passing attempts. http://en.montrealalouettes.com/statistics...ssing/year/2012 If you compare passing to runs, its approximately 2 passes to every run.

Bevell- University of Wisconsin graduate. QB for Barry Alvarez. You set the pass up with the run. Seattle 2012, more runs than passes.

If you look historically Bevell's teams are much more balanced or slightly run leaning. Trestman is almost always pass leaning.

How can you know exactly what you want if you arent even sure if you want a pass first offense or a run first offense?

You are right, this is undeniable proof that Emery doesn't know what he wants. We are f***ed

It seems pretty common for teams to interview HC candidates whose philosophies vary, no?

The Eagles interviewed Chip Kelly and Lovie Smith, couldn't be much more different. They went balls to the wall for Kelly and are not conducting a second round with a defensive coordinator from Seattle.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)
It seems pretty common for teams to interview HC candidates whose philosophies vary, no?

Interview yes, make them finalists would suggest that the GM isnt sure what he wants to do, right?

For example.

If I know what type of car I want to buy (sports car), Im not likely to have my 2 finalists be a Porsche and a F-150. Because what is the point of that. My 2 finalists would likely be 2 sports cars.

Now if I have no clue what type of car I want, then I might pick 2 cars that are extremely different. But that would mean I dont know what I want. And if Emery doesnt know what type of coach he wants at this point in his career, Im really really scared.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:06 PM)

The Eagles interviewed Chip Kelly and Lovie Smith, couldn't be much more different. They went balls to the wall for Kelly and are not conducting a second round with a defensive coordinator from Seattle.

No that makes perfect sense. Chip Kelly was Eagles dream coach. They went crazy for him.

After they couldnt get their first choice, they had to reassess.

Who did the Bears go crazy for?

If Emery went after "his guy" and didnt land him, Id completely understand why hes unsure now.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:12 PM)
No that makes perfect sense. Chip Kelly was Eagles dream coach. They went crazy for him.

After they couldnt get their first choice, they had to reassess.

Who did the Bears go crazy for?

If Emery went after "his guy" and didnt land him, Id completely understand why hes unsure now.

But they clearly aren't sure about "what type" of coach they then want if their candidates now are dissimilar from Chip Kelly?

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:14 PM)
But they clearly aren't sure about "what type" of coach they then want if their candidates now are dissimilar from Chip Kelly?

No they were sure what type of coach they wanted, Chip Kelly.

If I want a specific product and I go to the store and its sold out, then I have to make another choice. Especially in this scenario when there is no other Chip Kelly because they wanted a certain person for his unique skills.

Its like saying that I wanted to hire Phil Jackson, but once I couldnt hire him I went in a completely different direction. Of course that makes sense, because I want the individual for their uniqueness.

(edit)

And to make this clear. Im not saying its good or bad. Im just saying that if he has people with different philosophies as finalists, he likely does not have a set vision in his mind for how the Bears are going to play. Whereas the Eagles clearly had a vision when they were going for Chip Kelly. But once they could not land him, they didnt want to get a knockoff version.

Edited by Soxbadger