2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 12:29 PM)
"The job [of quarterback] is like a Japanese garden," Steve Young said. "It takes a lot of care. It takes a lot of time. It takes intricate work. … I've got to believe that if someone came in and in a resonant way could speak to him -- like when you put your finger near a crystal glass, it starts to sing to you -- that resonant sound that happens between quarterback and coach, that he would respond to that. Why wouldn't you respond to that?"

What a fruit.

That entire quote is just...out there. WTF

That quote makes me think of Steve Young dancing with Miss Lippy.

Edited by witesoxfan

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
Looking at his resume there doesnt seem to be anywhere that hes went where he didnt have a a top offense in the respective league he was coaching.

Except for 2004 Dolphins, where he was QB/Assistant HC.

And 2005-6 when he was OC for NC State and they were 95th in total offense (119 total schools)

So that is part of the reason why he went to Canada. He was coming off 2 pretty bad years and did not even have a job in 06-07.

Trestman may be the best coach ever, but you are reaching if you say hes never been part of a bad offense. His last 2 jobs in the US were bad offenses.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 01:43 PM)
Except for 2004 Dolphins, where he was QB/Assistant HC.

And 2005-6 when he was OC for NC State and they were 95th in total offense (119 total schools)

So that is part of the reason why he went to Canada. He was coming off 2 pretty bad years and did not even have a job in 06-07.

Trestman may be the best coach ever, but you are reaching if you say hes never been part of a bad offense. His last 2 jobs in the US were bad offenses.

The Arizona offenses he coached were nothing to write home about either. Arizona was middle of the pack on offense in 1998 but then was absolutely terrible on offense the next two years. Scott Mitchell was not appreciably better with Trestman as his QB coach for one year than he was otherwise (and he was nowhere near as good as he was in 1995) and that offense worked only because Barry Sanders was an absolute monster that season. His offenses in San Francisco were really good but that had almost nothing to do with Trestman (look at their stats before and after he coached there). The Raiders were terrible on offense Trestman's last year there but very good the previous two (they were also a top 10 offense the two years before Trestman arrived).

Trestman is supposed to be a very good offensive mind and he may be a great hire (I'll keep an open mind) but looking closely at his resume there isn't anything that really jumps out as a great job.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
That entire quote is just...out there. WTF

That quote makes me think of Steve Young dancing with Miss Lippy.

Steve Young is a very bright, articulate guy. I thought it was a very accurate analogy.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 12:03 PM)
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-02...t-coast-offense

Jay ran the west coast offense in Denver and has the best seasons of his professional career.

The Denver offense sure didn't seem like the west coast offense to me. I thought I remember him rolling out alot and being on the move, all of which isn't in the original west coast offense with the strict move your feet to each read. shannahan sure didn't seem to run that offense.

I guess my impressions of what Denver and Shannahan did with him was off.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
The Denver offense sure didn't seem like the west coast offense to me. I thought I remember him rolling out alot and being on the move, all of which isn't in the original west coast offense with the strict move your feet to each read. shannahan sure didn't seem to run that offense.

I guess my impressions of what Denver and Shannahan did with him was off.

Yeah I feel like there's just a lot of gray areas with offensive systems these days given different variations/evolutions.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 11:00 PM)
If Emery knows exactly what he wants, why are the alleged 2 finalists not very similar?

Youd expect 2 OC's with similar philosophies, not 2 OC's who might as well come from different planets.

Trestman- Alouttes are top 3 passing attempts. http://en.montrealalouettes.com/statistics...ssing/year/2012 If you compare passing to runs, its approximately 2 passes to every run.

Bevell- University of Wisconsin graduate. QB for Barry Alvarez. You set the pass up with the run. Seattle 2012, more runs than passes.

If you look historically Bevell's teams are much more balanced or slightly run leaning. Trestman is almost always pass leaning.

How can you know exactly what you want if you arent even sure if you want a pass first offense or a run first offense?

I have not watched the CFL in a few years but I think the game is a little different up here and Trestman may have had to adjust ho style to it.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 01:37 PM)
I have not watched the CFL in a few years but I think the game is a little different up here and Trestman may have had to adjust ho style to it.

The CFL has only 3 downs as opposed to four. They pass a lot so it shouldn't come as a surprise. His CFL run/pass numbers should not reflect his views on offense in the NFL.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 06:34 PM)
Dave Toub is the new Kansas City special teams coach. That hurts us quite a bit.

The Bears need to get a point where special teams doesn't come close to out-scoring offense. Hopefully we're headed in said direction.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 08:19 PM)
The Bears need to get a point where special teams doesn't come close to out-scoring offense. Hopefully we're headed in said direction.

I don't think the way to do that though is to decrease the points the Special Teams' scores :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
I don't think the way to do that though is to decrease the points the Special Teams' scores :)

The disappearance of Hester has reduced the ST scoring ability to pretty much Robbie Goulds leg. Toub is a good coach, but he can be replaced. Bringing the offense to a respectable level should more than offset Toubs loss

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 07:40 PM)
The disappearance of Hester has reduced the ST scoring ability to pretty much Robbie Goulds leg. Toub is a good coach, but he can be replaced. Bringing the offense to a respectable level should more than offset Toubs loss

I wonder how much the disappearance of Hester had to do with the turnover in the special teams blockers, it didn't seem like he had the same holes as in the past.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 06:22 PM)
I'm OK with Trestman. Just please bring in a great defensive coordinator.

You could just stick with Marinelli.

Personally, I hope the Bears don't hire Trestman. I'd much rather see them hire Arians, but I won't scrutinize Emery for going with Trestman.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 08:17 PM)
I wonder how much the disappearance of Hester had to do with the turnover in the special teams blockers, it didn't seem like he had the same holes as in the past.

It started going bad when Ayenbadejo left, and gradually key guys like Corey Graham ended up leaving and nobody stepped up in their places unfortunately

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 08:52 PM)
It started going bad when Ayenbadejo left, and gradually key guys like Corey Graham ended up leaving and nobody stepped up in their places unfortunately

Exactly. Hester was a heck of a returner, but he had some incredible special teams units in front of him.

@BradBiggs: An NFL source just told me #Bears will hire Marc Trestman as the next head coach.

@BradBiggs: Marc Trestman, coach of the Montreal Alouettes, selected over #Colts OC Bruce Arians and #Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 12:58 AM)
@BradBiggs: An NFL source just told me #Bears will hire Marc Trestman as the next head coach.

@BradBiggs: Marc Trestman, coach of the Montreal Alouettes, selected over #Colts OC Bruce Arians and #Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell.

Jimmy Johnson called it.

Well, not too disappointed, but I certainly didn't see this coming before his name was brought up. Hell, I didn't even know who he was two weeks ago.

what's hilarious is all these idiot bears fans calling in to the score b****ing about trestman getting hired like they know anything about hiring an nfl coach, the dude was in the NFL for over 20 years and has won 2 grey cups in the CFL in the last 5 years which is their version of the SB, I think trestman is 50x more qualified to be an nfl head coach than f***ing Lovie smith

as long as he gets depth at TE and drafts some decent guys on the OL I think the bears will be beasts

I'm saying this as a non bears fan so take it fwiw :)