2012-2013 NFL Thread

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/...tman-head-coach

The Chicago Bears ended their search for a new head coach early Wednesday morning when they made the decision to bring aboard Montreal Alouettes head coach Marc Trestman as the franchise's 14th head coach.

A noted quarterback guru, Trestman had been out of the NFL for eight years before his stint in the CFL that eventually led to his succeeding former head coach Lovie Smith, who was fired by the Chicago Bears on Dec. 31.

The Bears scheduled a press conference for 11 a.m. ET on Thursday. The Chicago Tribune first reported the news.

Trestman, 57, recently signed an extension with the Alouettes that takes his deal through 2016, but it's likely he'll be allowed out of his CFL contract to join the Bears, according to a source.

Trestman is coming off an 11-7 season in the CFL. In five seasons with the Alouettes, Trestman led the team to three appearances in the Grey Cup, including consecutive championships in 2009 and 2010 in addition to being been named CFL coach of the year (2009).

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Rice compares Trestman to Bill Walsh. It was a very nice hire for the Bears.

I got to meet Trestman when he was with the 49ers, he seem like a great guy

Look for the Bears to sign a guy like Mike Wallace, Trestman loves having 2 star WR's

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 07:01 AM)
Jerry Rice compares Trestman to Bill Walsh. It was a very nice hire for the Bears.

Look for the Bears to sign a guy like Mike Wallace, Trestman loves having 2 star WR's

lets not get crazy with the cheesewhiz here. The Bears have 3 WRs with big contracts in Marshall, Bennett and Hester, and they have Jeffery. Going out and getting Mike Wallace is not addressing the need of the offense, which is first and foremost Offensive Line. And probably tight end next.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 07:01 AM)

That's pretty surprising since Rice was really happy when Trestman was let go by the 49ers. He hated the 2 yard routes he was running.

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/...7/1c1rice_.html

The thing that concerns me is he's from the Jimmy Johnson tree, Wanne, Norv Turner, both prety much busts as Head Coaches. He's also kind of calm like Lovie. If the Bears don't win right away, the fans are going after him.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:35 AM)
lets not get crazy with the cheesewhiz here. The Bears have 3 WRs with big contracts in Marshall, Bennett and Hester, and they have Jeffery. Going out and getting Mike Wallace is not addressing the need of the offense, which is first and foremost Offensive Line. And probably tight end next.

Hester really doesn't count as a WR under contract, IMO.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 15, 2013 -> 07:34 PM)
Dave Toub is the new Kansas City special teams coach. That hurts us quite a bit.

Read elsewhere that one of the reasons likely was that Toub, given his tenure, would be in a spot that could have seemingly undermined their new HC.

My biggest worry about Trestman even though I like the risk taken by Emery is how he will adjust to the NFL game.

Hasn't been in the NFL since the 2004 season. Hasn't coached American football since 2006. That's a lot of time away and the NFL game has changed a ton since then in almost every facet of the game.

But given Emery's attention to detail, Trestman must have convinced him that it is not an issue.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 07:48 AM)
Hester really doesn't count as a WR under contract, IMO.

He is, whether you like it or not. Hopefully he is dealt, but still, Bennett was just given new paper and you have Alshon lining up too. No need to go out and get a big FA WR over more pressing needs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 08:57 AM)
He is, whether you like it or not. Hopefully he is dealt, but still, Bennett was just given new paper and you have Alshon lining up too. No need to go out and get a big FA WR over more pressing needs

I think he's more likely to be outright cut. Saves a little bit against the cap at this point, IIRC.

According to Pro Football Focus, Urlacher had a -11.2 rating this year, second worst among Bears free agents. He won't return because he is not a very good NFL player anymore.

He really did have a lot of intangible value. I know that kind of stuff gets derided as sportswriterspeak, but he makes the guys around him better. I'm OK with letting him walk though. I'm OK with cutting Peppers and Hester, I'm OK with letting Melton go. Whatever it takes, we need to put big resources into the offense.

Does that mean Ryan Clady and/or Jake Long (we actually might have enough money to sign both--lol)? Mike Wallace? Wes Welker? Dwayne Bowe (though I think a WR like him would be a little redundant with Jeffery and Marshall)? I dont know, I'm going to hop on this Trestman bandwagon and I think Emery is aggressive enough to make big moves and thorough enough to limit the risk of those moves.

Eh, other than OL and TE what other needs does this team have? The defense is pretty good across all levels, definitely NFL average or better. The RB's are solid, the QB is set.

I'm really not opposed to going after a big name WR as long as there is a plan behind it to fix the OL. A Marshall-Wallace-Jeffery-Bennett WR group with a competent TE and Matt Forte could be really, really dangerous.

AdamSchefter: Former Saints interim head coach Aaron Kromer has accepted the Offensive coordinator and offensive line coaching job with the Chicago Bears.

Sign me the f*** up. Alright, I'm starting to dig this more and more.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:04 AM)
Eh, other than OL and TE what other needs does this team have? The defense is pretty good across all levels, definitely NFL average or better. The RB's are solid, the QB is set.

I'm really not opposed to going after a big name WR as long as there is a plan behind it to fix the OL. A Marshall-Wallace-Jeffery-Bennett WR group with a competent TE and Matt Forte could be really, really dangerous.

They currently need help at DT since Melton isn't under contract, and they need help at LB since Urlacher isn't under contract.

With supposedly under $20 million in cap space to play with, $5 million going to draft holds...signing a $10 million a year + WR leaves the Bears literally nothing other than the draft to fill those other spots and, as far as I can tell, guarantees Melton is gone.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:08 AM)
If Trestman lets Hester play a lot of WR, then he deserves to be fired immediately.

(He could always be the guy who somehow gets through to him? Never guaranteed. But I'd still expect him to be cut).

seankjensen: S-T #Bears Blog: Former Alouettes OG Ryan Karhut says Marc Trestman turned around team by emphasizing pass protection

http://t.co/BwXFTBQO

Hopefully between this + Kromer there will be a new focus on OL play, starting with players acquired this offseason and continuing with the coaching they get once they are in the fold.

They currently need help at DT since Melton isn't under contract, and they need help at LB since Urlacher isn't under contract.

With supposedly under $20 million in cap space to play with, $5 million going to draft holds...signing a $10 million a year + WR leaves the Bears literally nothing other than the draft to fill those other spots and, as far as I can tell, guarantees Melton is gone.

Paea played well this year, I can trust him to hold down a spot. I'm not opposed to finding a mid-range guy to replace Melton or even look to Toeaina/Reed to fill in and draft some guy in the 4th or later to work into a rotation. There should be no meaningful investment to the defensive side of the ball, they did a lot of that last year in the draft.