2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 01:43 AM)
To anyone that actually is "upset" by Cutler telling the fans to please be quiet while in the red zone...you're a complete f***ing idiot, and stop going to games.

I said as much on my Twitter the other day.

Like 30% of people gave this answer on the Tribune poll. Arrrrghhhh can we get some drone strikes cracking in Chicago? Please?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
If your cable company happens not to carry the NFL Network, are there any "unofficial" websites that might happen to have a live stream of the game?

Locally it is on channel 50. Outside of the Chicagoland viewing area, I have no idea.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
If your cable company happens not to carry the NFL Network, are there any "unofficial" websites that might happen to have a live stream of the game?

Check firstrowsports.eu, myp2p.mu, vipbox.tv

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)

Wasnt it you that asked about the sox game online feed? Maybe not, regardless firstrowsports.eu is my go to for all sporting events.

Bill Simmons: Marshall Reminds Chicago the Forward Pass is Legal

Marshall Reminds Chicago That the Forward Pass Is Legal

By Bill Simmons on September 13, 2012 2:31 PM ET

NFL-games-we-cant-wait-for-in-Week-2-MR2

Bears (+5.5) over PACKERS

If you watched the Bears thrash the Colts on Sunday, you couldn't help but notice Jay Cutler throwing the football to new teammate Brandon Marshall over and over and over again. It happened 15 times in all, with Marshall catching nine of them for 119 yards and a score. Sometimes Marshall was wide-open; sometimes he had two guys draped over him. Cutler didn't care. He kept chucking it to him as Bears fans thought to themselves, My God, is this what it's like? Is that what we were missing?

The following facts are absolutely, 100 percent true:

• Johnny Morris is Chicago's all-time receiving yards leader with 5,059 yards. Harlon Hill is second with 4,616 yards. Both retired before I was born.

• Chicago's all-time single-season leader for receiving yards is somebody named Marcus Robinson. He finished with 1,400 yards and nine TDs in 1999 and never topped 800 yards again.

• In the past 40 years, only four Bears have topped 1,000 receiving yards: Robinson, Marty Booker, Curtis Conway and Jeff Graham. Only Booker and Conway did it twice.

• In the history of the Bears franchise, eight Bears have caught 10 touchdowns or more. Only once did someone do it after 1970 — Conway's 12 TD catches in 1995.

• Chicago's most "famous" receiver of the modern era is probably Willie Gault … whose best fantasy season (1983: 836 yards, eight TDs) would have netted you exactly 129.6 fantasy points.

• Mike Ditka finished with more receiving yards (4,503) playing as a tight end than any Bears receiver since the AFL and NFL merged in 1970. Yes, that Mike Ditka.

Barring injury or an unfortunate off-field incident, there's a better-than-good chance that Marshall will push the preceding few paragraphs into "Remember Chicago's history with wide receivers before they lucked out with Brandon Marshall?" purgatory. We knew it could happen — it's the reason people kept bidding Marshall up in fantasy drafts. We knew he thrived with Cutler once upon a time in Denver, that he was saddled with dreadful QBs these past two seasons, that there was just enough "Moss in 2007" potential to make him intriguing. We also knew he was a bit of a loon, a never-ending threat to show up on the bottom of ESPN's ticker with the words "BREAKING NEWS" and "last night at 4:30 a.m." involved. That's the reason they were able to steal him for two measly third-round picks, and that's the reason he probably went for $35 in your auction. The fact remains, only three receivers jump off the TV screen right now: Marshall, Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson. They're a little bigger and a little faster than everyone else. The Bears never had anyone like that before. Now they do.

And maybe this didn't become a major story on Sunday because RG3, Peyton Manning and San Francisco's defense swallowed up the attention. But tonight? Playing against a Packers team that got beaten up by the physical Niners just four days ago and couldn't stop Alex Smith? I'm grabbing the points. As well as some "Brandon Marshall will eventually be remembered as the best Bears receiver ever" stock. It's still going relatively cheap. (But not for long.)

LAST WEEK: 8-8

SEASON: 8-8

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:15 PM)
I thought Marcus Robinson was gonna be a big time WR for the Bears. Had one really good year, but too many injuries.

Yep. When he played, he was almost elite, his combination of size and strength was tough to beat. he could just never stay on the field.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:28 PM)
Yep. When he played, he was almost elite, his combination of size and strength was tough to beat. he could just never stay on the field.

He and Jim Miller that one year were great. F*ck Hugh Douglas.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
He and Jim Miller that one year will great. F*ck Hugh Douglas.

F*** steroids/PEDs, you mean. That stopped Miller and Robinson. Pretty sure MRob was hurt most of the 2001, that was Marty Bookers big season

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:49 PM)
F*** steroids/PEDs, you mean. That stopped Miller and Robinson. Pretty sure MRob was hurt most of the 2001, that was Marty Bookers big season

I do remember the suspension, but didn't Hugh Douglas cream Miller in the playoffs?

And yeah, Robinson never recovered. He was a monster for me in NFL 2k though. :)

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 13, 2012 -> 04:51 PM)
I do remember the suspension, but didn't Hugh Douglas cream Miller in the playoffs?

And yeah, Robinson never recovered. He was a monster for me in NFL 2k though. :)

The suspension was either the year before, or two years before the playoffs. I think it was 99. Robinson and Miller went bonkers for 4 games then Miller got suspended. In 2001 Robinson only had 34 catches, and I am pretty sure he had no impact on the playoffs. I was just saying that "One year" that those two were great, in reality was just that amazing 4 game stretch. Millers great year was with Marty Booker.

ANd yeah, Millers shoulder was obliterated right before the second half of the playoff game. right after he threw a pick in the endzone. So much salt. Such a massive wound.