2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
Dude, what? Not evert FA offensive linemen is Alen Faneca. How could you possibly make a generalization like this and then simply cite John Tait?

Blake Brockermeyer, Ruben Brown, Andy Heck...

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
Blake Brockermeyer, Ruben Brown, Andy Heck...

Ruben Brown was ancient already when we signed him. Why not use Orlando Pace in your argument too? Do you know how good Carl Nicks is? And you are aware he is 26?

That is awesome and saves the franchise tag for Demetrius Bell if they want to give him one more shot at staying healthy because he's a solid player when he is. Otherwise, if they don't want to commit the $9 mill for him, he's an option for the Bears or any other team too. Then again, the Bears need someone durable, and that is something Bell is not.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 10:02 PM)
Adam Schefter reporting the Bills and Stevie Johnson are on the verge of a 5-year deal. Likely to be completed within the next 24 hours.

Phew. Thought that said Bears at first sight.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 4, 2012 -> 07:01 PM)
Free agent O-Linemen are money wasters, You get one of two good seasons, then they get too old and expensive.

John Tait, etc.

Check out the historical performances of FA receivers. They are exceptions if they aren't busts.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 08:51 AM)
Check out the historical performances of FA receivers. They are exceptions if they aren't busts.

But there's a lot of things that can mean. It can mean that when a team gets a high performing WR, they only let them hit the FA market if they have character issues. It could mean that most teams who sign a high performing WR are signing them in a situation where they don't have strong QB play and that costs the WR his numbers. It could mean that they hold them until they hit the FA market at age 32, and thus the WR doesn't get somehwere new until he's starting to go downhill.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
But there's a lot of things that can mean. It can mean that when a team gets a high performing WR, they only let them hit the FA market if they have character issues. It could mean that most teams who sign a high performing WR are signing them in a situation where they don't have strong QB play and that costs the WR his numbers. It could mean that they hold them until they hit the FA market at age 32, and thus the WR doesn't get somehwere new until he's starting to go downhill.

Of course, and its one reason I hope the Bears don't sign Colson. He's going to be paid money based on what he did in the Saints' system playing half his games on turf indoors with Drew Brees throwing him the ball. Thinking he'll put up similar numbers playing on the Soldier Field turf in a different system would be crazy. I think he's probably better than anyone the Bears have, but for what they will have to pay him, stay away. He's one guy who is almost guaranteed not going to live up to the contract he gets.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 09:05 AM)
Of course, and its one reason I hope the Bears don't sign Colson. He's going to be paid money based on what he did in the Saints' system playing half his games on turf indoors with Drew Brees throwing him the ball. Thinking he'll put up similar numbers playing on the Soldier Field turf in a different system would be crazy. I think he's probably better than anyone the Bears have, but for what they will have to pay him, stay away. He's one guy who is almost guaranteed not going to live up to the contract he gets.

Here's reality for the Bears though...they're in a position where, IMO, they're so thoroughly undermanned at WR that "A guy not living up to his contract" is still an acceptable situation, because that guy could still come off as a substantial upgrade.

They might well have to make a guy nearly the highest paid WR in the league, and they're not going to get Larry Fitzgerald out of this FA period...but they just have to give Cutler a weapon on the outside. Even if he only gives them 60-ish catches next year, they have to open up the outside.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
Here's reality for the Bears though...they're in a position where, IMO, they're so thoroughly undermanned at WR that "A guy not living up to his contract" is still an acceptable situation, because that guy could still come off as a substantial upgrade.

They might well have to make a guy nearly the highest paid WR in the league, and they're not going to get Larry Fitzgerald out of this FA period...but they just have to give Cutler a weapon on the outside. Even if he only gives them 60-ish catches next year, they have to open up the outside.

I would rather they use a couple high picks on receivers and spend big money on their lines.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
I would rather they use a couple high picks on receivers and spend big money on their lines.

I'm pretty much the opposite. In my ideal world, the Bears sign a top flight FA WR as priority #1, then find a guy who isn't a top flight tackle but who can actually be counted on to play without being the worst tackle in the league in FA to give them 3 guys who can fill tackle spots (Webb, Carimi, FA), then fill a few of the other depth needs (CB, maybe OLB, maybe S, definitely TE, maybe RB) in FA. Then target DE and an additional WR with the first couple picks, in addition to filling whatever needs aren't met.

In my view, WR seems to take as long as any position other than QB to actually develop in the NFL in most cases. Thus, if you draft a WR, even in the top round, you are drafting that WR looking for him to be a legit thread 2-3 years down the road. The Bears are in a position where they ought to be competing now, with the veterans they have on defense and a legit QB, and that means to me they need to find their top WR in free agency.

Stevie Johnson numbers:

The Bills didn't disclose terms of the agreement, but a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that Johnson received a five-year, $36.25 million deal that includes $19.5 million guaranteed and over $24 million in the contract's first three years.
That's what, $8 million a year then and frontloaded? That's not a bad deal at all, and if that's the WR market right now that helps the Bears out some.

No idea who the original source is, but it is tearing around twitter.

NJPanthers12 ‏ @NJPanthers12

Just got big time news. The New England Patriots have a huge offer prepared for Vincent Jackson and will offer it to him the first day of FA

Not buying that about the Patriots. Its not New Englands MO to have stuff like that leak. It would also be a terrible allocation of their money. Their offense was fine, they have a very good WR for their system in Welker (who I believe they still have to sign) and two very good young tight ends. They also have a brutal defense that needs upgrades at multiple positions so I just dont see how this could be true, unless they were planning on letting Welker walk, which I severely doubt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 08:34 AM)
I'm pretty much the opposite. In my ideal world, the Bears sign a top flight FA WR as priority #1, then find a guy who isn't a top flight tackle but who can actually be counted on to play without being the worst tackle in the league in FA to give them 3 guys who can fill tackle spots (Webb, Carimi, FA), then fill a few of the other depth needs (CB, maybe OLB, maybe S, definitely TE, maybe RB) in FA. Then target DE and an additional WR with the first couple picks, in addition to filling whatever needs aren't met.

In my view, WR seems to take as long as any position other than QB to actually develop in the NFL in most cases. Thus, if you draft a WR, even in the top round, you are drafting that WR looking for him to be a legit thread 2-3 years down the road. The Bears are in a position where they ought to be competing now, with the veterans they have on defense and a legit QB, and that means to me they need to find their top WR in free agency.

This is basically exactly what I think. Sign the best available WR they can get, upgrade at OT in any way possible and then try to fill in some depth on defense with some other minor FA signings (unless they go after a big name defensive player which would change things) and then they can address whatever they lacked in FA in the draft.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 11:20 AM)
No idea who the original source is, but it is tearing around twitter.

NJPanthers12 ‏ @NJPanthers12

Just got big time news. The New England Patriots have a huge offer prepared for Vincent Jackson and will offer it to him the first day of FA

I had heard that VJax will get franchised, but today is the deadline so I guess we well find out.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 12:46 PM)
I had heard that VJax will get franchised, but today is the deadline so I guess we well find out.

Stevie Johnson got $19.5 million guaranteed. Franchising Jackson would basically be a 1 year, $13 million guaranteed deal. Franchising him would basically guarantee him 2/3 of what Johnson got in his entire contract. I can't believe the Chargers would be that financially dumb.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 11:37 AM)
Not buying that about the Patriots. Its not New Englands MO to have stuff like that leak. It would also be a terrible allocation of their money. Their offense was fine, they have a very good WR for their system in Welker (who I believe they still have to sign) and two very good young tight ends. They also have a brutal defense that needs upgrades at multiple positions so I just dont see how this could be true, unless they were planning on letting Welker walk, which I severely doubt.

The Patriots have been rumored to be interested in VJax for a few weeks now. I don't know why, but they have been said to have interest. And apparently, last I read, they are a bit iffy on giving Welker the money/lengthy contract that he desires.