2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, who would I rather have, Stevie Johnson at 5/$36 or Pierre Garcon at 5/$35?

The only thing Garcon does better than Johnson is run, and that doesn't do a whole lot other than stretch the field.

Loving that contract.

I made the mistake of watching the NFL roundtable discussion on this bounty thing. I apologize.

To say it was the most pointless roundtable in the history of roundtables may not do it justice. I mean seriously, Marcellus Wiley and Mike Golic were essentially arguing in favor of the bounty system, but when the circumstances of the bounty system itself came up, they said it was bad. So basically, these 5 guys (Wiley, Golic, Seau, Steve Young, and Tom Jackson) all believe that the bounty system is a bad thing. WHAT'S THE GODDAMN ARGUMENT THEN? Even on the internet people get scolded for arguing just to argue. These guys get paid thousands or millions of dollars to do so. f***.

Bounty system - bad. I think that ends that discussion. You can put in any further adjectives or interjections that you'd like, but at the end of the day, it was bad.

This is why basic cable is teh devil.

---

Oh, and the Bills are interested in Vincent Jackson too. Three things...

#1) I have no idea why, even if he were to receive more money, why he'd want to come to Buffalo. Yes, they'd essentially have 1a and 1b receivers, but Fitzpatrick almost certainly will never be able to get him the ball. His opportunities are going to be much greater in Chicago.

#2) If you are willing to throw that much at a wide receiver, why not spend that money on YOUR BIGGEST GODDAMN NEED WHICH IS A PASS RUSHER? One of the best pass rushers in the league is available, proved he is capable of being successful in either a 4-3 or 3-4, and you just so happen to be running a hybrid 4-3 next year. If you can afford to pay 2 receivers $20+ million, then you can assuredly afford to pay a receiver and a defensive player $24-26 million, especially when that one piece could quite literally take a mediocre defense and turn it dangerous. It then gives them options with the #10 pick, be it another pass rusher (because Merriman obviously will not last a full season, especially as a DE), a WR, OT, DB, Tannehill (if he were to fall), or trading up or down. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

#3) Because nothing exciting ever happens with the Bills (or atleast not since Takeo Spikes signed with the Bills), YOU STAY AWAY CHICAGO.

Edited by witesoxfan

Mario Williams has become an unrestricted free agent. I'm not even going to dream about a Williams + Peppers duo because it would get my hopes up way too much. And it would make me have to change my underwear.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 5, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
Hmm, who would I rather have, Stevie Johnson at 5/$36 or Pierre Garcon at 5/$35?

The only thing Garcon does better than Johnson is run, and that doesn't do a whole lot other than stretch the field.

Loving that contract.

And catch the ball. And not get stupid penalties consistently.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 03:45 AM)
Mario Williams has become an unrestricted free agent. I'm not even going to dream about a Williams + Peppers duo because it would get my hopes up way too much. And it would make me have to change my underwear.

i cant see that htey will have the cap room to do this, but they had interest in cliff avril, who, if not tagged, would have gotten a big deal too. so why not williams?

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 07:55 AM)
i cant see that htey will have the cap room to do this, but they had interest in cliff avril, who, if not tagged, would have gotten a big deal too. so why not williams?

Mario Williams + Julius Peppers = :wub:

QUOTE (daa84 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)

I think the biggest problem for the Bears is that there are teams sitting there with so much cap room they need to sign people to make sure they're not near the minimum salary limits. For the Bears, Williams would be great but a luxury since they already have money tied up in that position. They just can't compete with a team holding $50 million in cap space if they're sitting around $30.

Perhaps a more reasonable/interesting Bears target

I think there's one player who should be affordable, available and sought after by any team needing a nickel rusher or maybe an every-down rush end: Jeremy Mincey of the Jags. With four sacks and 18 quarterback hits/pressures in the last four weeks of the season, Mincey, 28, put on a good free-agent rush. His name has come up three times since the end of the season with personnel guys looking for help pressuring the quarterback.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writ...l#ixzz1oLV8PZhz

It would actually be a great signing. Green Bay and Detroit would have no answer for a Peppers/Williams combo.

Mario Williams is a freak and I absolutely love him as a player. But, he's been injured each of the last 3 seasons so that's something you'd have to expect from him. He's not going to give you a full 16 games. Still, it's hard not to salivate over a DE duo of Peppers and Williams. Absolutely filthy.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 6, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Every year some team goes crazy in free agency and everyone picks them to win it all.

Eagles last year. This year it will be.......

Safe bet is the Redskins but I dont think we should expect any team to do what the Eagles did last season. The Buccs have a lot of cap too I believe so they will probably be buyers but I cant see them getting more then 1 top tier FA.

Report: Private ‘Booster’ Contributed To Bounty Fund

His name is Michael Ornstein.

You may not know him, but he is an integral piece to the ‘bounty’ investigation that currently surrounds the Saints.

According to a report, on at least four occasions, Ornstein, a twice-convicted felon, pledged his own money to the Saints’ bounty fund. In 2009, he gave $10,000 toward knocking an opposing quarterback out of the game. In 2011, two separate contributions for targeting the quarterback. And on at least one other occasion, Ornstein pledged his money in an email to head coach Sean Payton, which spelled out the details of the bounty program.

The NFL now has a copy of this email. The report indicates this highly incriminating paper trail makes it almost impossible for Payton to argue his innocence, or for the Saints to claim the bounty never left the locker room.