2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
Coin toss:

Seahawks win the toss, they win the game because our defense was completely exhausted and incapable of keeping up with a 24 old QB running around everywhere.

Bears win the toss, they win the game because Seattle had no answer to Marshall whatsoever.

The NFL's overtime rules are backwards as f***, and they dont seem to care to fix it at all.

Bears gave up long TD drive. Deserved to lose. Couldn't get a stop on 3rd down. Holden to FG and you get a chance. Too many open guys in 4th and OT.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 03:44 PM)
Huh? They've won 6 of 7. The only loss was to a Giants team that has their number.

8-4 and they hadn't beaten anyone of note except for Houston...beat them at Soldier Field and all the handwringing will stop...at least foe a while.

I don't think losing to Seattle is the end of the world.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 02:02 PM)
8-4 and they hadn't beaten anyone of note except for Houston...beat them at Soldier Field and all the handwringing will stop...at least foe a while.

I don't think losing to Seattle is the end of the world.

I'm of the opinion that winning 6 of 7 in the NFL actually is 'lighting the world on fire' but what do I know.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Look shack, I disagree with you. No need to get all uppity about it, im not crying about anything except the fact that the bears lost, i didnt make a big deal out of the fact that Lovie didnt go for the points, I just made a mention of it.

It sucks. the end.

Well, I refuted your point and made it clear that it wouldn't have mattered.

The end.

Yeah, but you act like going for it on 4th and 5 inches with Bush was a stupid call. It was not. At that point we had had our way with them. No reason to believe your 245 pound back can't get 5 inches.

It's not as if they made that call with 6 minutes to go in the game.

I think it was a stupid call. When you are a defense-minded team with a superstar kicker, you take the sure points.

That said, I don't think Cutler is heaving the ball 50 yards downfield with 20 seconds left if the game is tied instead of the Bears being down 3.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 04:25 PM)
So your argument is that we would have tried to score with 20 seconds left tied at 17?

My argument is that they left points on the field. What happens after those points are scored is not guaranteed to be what we saw when they were not scored.

I would have taken the points. You would have run the play to get the first down. Its a difference of opinion here, there is no "FACT" because we dont know if the Bears would have tried to score.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 05:40 PM)
I think it was a stupid call. When you are a defense-minded team with a superstar kicker, you take the sure points.

That said, I don't think Cutler is heaving the ball 50 yards downfield with 20 seconds left if the game is tied instead of the Bears being down 3.

Fair enough. I don't mind people disagreeing with the call. I'm just of the opinion that it didn't change the outcome of the game.

There are plenty of things I disagreed with, but usually the ones that bother me are those where the coach put the players in a position where they cannot succeed and expect a good result. Hard for me to really be upset about the 4th and inches call because they did the right thing. They ran Bush. If they would have run Forte, I would have been more angry.

That being said, if they pick up the 1st down and go down and score a td, it's 14-0 and we may be on our way to rolling them like we did the Vikings last week. It was a very reasonable gamble to take.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 05:42 PM)
My argument is that they left points on the field. What happens after those points are scored is not guaranteed to be what we saw when they were not scored.

I would have taken the points. You would have run the play to get the first down. Its a difference of opinion here, there is no "FACT" because we dont know if the Bears would have tried to score.

Yeah, I get that...which is exactly why I am not going to try and pretend as though it was a determining factor in the game. It was in the first quarter, I believe, or very early second. There was 3 quarters of football to be played. If we want to go through the entire game and list every play call that didn't work out or every time we didn't execute well, we could probably be here for the rest of the day.

Seems a bit pointless to me to harp on that.

What I referred to as "FACT" is that a 245 pound NFL back usually gains 5 inches. This is what Bush was brought in to do. It isn't as if it was 4th and 3 or 4 yards.

I mean honestly, Kyyle, if you are of the opinion that you should always kick on 4th down when you have a touchdown lead, that's fine. I guess we'll just disagree on that.

Edited by iamshack

Yeah, I get that...which is exactly why I am not going to try and pretend as though it was a determining factor in the game. It was in the first quarter, I believe, or very early second. There was 3 quarters of football to be played. If we want to go through the entire game and list every play call that didn't work out or every time we didn't execute well, we could probably be here for the rest of the day.

What I referred to as "FACT" is that a 245 pound NFL back usually gains 5 inches. This is what Bush was brought in to do. It isn't as if it was 4th and 3 or 4 yards.

I mean honestly, Kyyle, if you are of the opinion that you should always kick on 4th down when you have a touchdown lead, that's fine. I guess we'll just disagree on that.

I think the Bears should always kick on 4th down with a touchdown lead. I think the Colts, for example, should probably go for it.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)

Our O line just does not generate enough push for me to confidently say that at any point that they should go for it on a 4th and inches situation. It is what it is, you have to know that your personnel isnt good enough at this point of the year.

It wasnt THE determining factor, but the Seahawks defense fed off of that. And yeah, there is plenty of crap that we could peruse through and wonder "WHY THE HELL WAS THAT CALLED?". For example, not one but two draw plays with 3rd and long when Marshall was destroying their CBs.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 06:02 PM)
Our O line just does not generate enough push for me to confidently say that at any point that they should go for it on a 4th and inches situation. It is what it is, you have to know that your personnel isnt good enough at this point of the year.

It wasnt THE determining factor, but the Seahawks defense fed off of that. And yeah, there is plenty of crap that we could peruse through and wonder "WHY THE HELL WAS THAT CALLED?". For example, not one but two draw plays with 3rd and long when Marshall was destroying their CBs.

Well, they ran the ball quite well with Bush in other situations. Another thing that hurt us was when Bush came out on our last offensive drive because of an injury. Had he been able to stay in, maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm of the opinion that winning 6 of 7 in the NFL actually is 'lighting the world on fire' but what do I know.

ok ok, the Packers are running away with the division, we should forfeit the upcoming game against them at Soldier Field, we've no shot, happy now?

Me, I think we have a good shot at the division, so sue me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
Well, they ran the ball quite well with Bush in other situations. Another thing that hurt us was when Bush came out on our last offensive drive because of an injury. Had he been able to stay in, maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Up to that point the Bears had 9 rushes for 15 yards. They were having trouble running the ball. Michael Bush had 1 carry for 1 yard before that 4th down play. You should take the points there in most situations (making it a two possession game), but especially when the Bears weren't showing the ability to effectively run the ball up to that point.

QUOTE (Boogua @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 07:14 PM)
Up to that point the Bears had 9 rushes for 15 yards. They were having trouble running the ball. Michael Bush had 1 carry for 1 yard before that 4th down play. You should take the points there in most situations (making it a two possession game), but especially when the Bears weren't showing the ability to effectively run the ball up to that point.

And if Bush would have run again for 1 yard, he would have gotten the first down.

IT WAS 5 INCHES.

9 plays for 15 yards averages to what? More than 5 inches.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 2, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
And if Bush would have run again for 1 yard, he would have gotten the first down.

IT WAS 5 INCHES.

9 plays for 15 yards averages to what? More than 5 inches.

There was also 3 no gains and a rush for -2 yards out of those 9 rushes. It was a stupid choice. Even if they would have gotten it.

But I know this argument is going nowhere. Was just pointing out that the running game wasn't successful at all before that play. The bears were starting two new guards too (and called an inside run). Just can't see the logic behind it.

Edited by Boogua

Notes from being at the game

-The way Cutler keeps plays alive by moving in the pocket is seriously asinine. He is so much better than he gets credit for.

-Brandon Marshall is a man. They knew we were looking for him and they simply couldnt stop it, he is just unreal.

-Our defense looked slow. Israel Idonije got beat on contain basically every single time Wilson did a play action pass bootleg.

-Wilson looked impressive for a rookie. He made the plays when he needed to and kept drives alive.

-Bennetts drop and not kicking the FG on 4th down in the first half was a mistake.

-The officiating seemed to go the Bears way. I still cant believe they overturned that TD catch.