2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
Miller is my pick for defensive player of the year. He is scary.

Who is the MVP? I think it's a tough call this year.

Tom Brady? Maybe a defensive guy like Miller or Watt can sneak in the voting? If you look at the top teams this year, most of them don't have that one guy that carries them.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 6, 2012 -> 09:48 PM)
Should anyone but Von Miller win defensive player of the year?

Looking at pro football focus, JJ Watt actually scores better than Von Miller (albeit not by much). They're both having ridiculous seasons. Last year Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers had the highest scores at 62.2 and 57.0. The best defensive score last year was Justin Smith at 46.5 (Von Miller scoring second with 44.3). This season Watt and Miller have scores of 73.7 (Watt) and 72.1 (Miller). Just insane.

AH HA HA HA HA!!

This Detroit Lions Calendar Is A Disaster In Every Way Imaginable

With injuries, ineffectiveness, dirty play, and Titus Young just f***ing up everywhere, it hasn't been a season to remember in Detroit. So here's to future sucess! This holiday season, buy the Lions fan in your life this 2013 wall calendar...with Titus Young on the cover.

Unfortunately, the inside isn't much better. Mr. January is Aaron Berry, who was released during training camp. Mr. February is Jahvid Best, who hasn't played all year with concussion issues, and may never play again. Mr. March is Nate Burleson, who is almost a lock to be cut after the season. Same for Mr. November, Kyle Vanden Bosch. As CBS Detroit points out, it probably should have just had photos of Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford over and over.

There's more! Despite being a 2013 calendar, it features the Lions' 2012 schedule. And as an added bonus, there's a section on Super Bowl history; the Lions have never been to the Super Bowl. This is the perfect gift for Lions fans who hate themselves. So, this is the perfect gift for Lions fans.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 12:47 PM)
Don't forget Luck.

Lucks numbers aren't anywhere near good enough to win an MVP award. Hes 29th in the league in rating currently and only has one more TD than INT on the season..

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 11:52 AM)
Lucks numbers aren't anywhere near good enough to win an MVP award. Hes 29th in the league in rating currently and only has one more TD than INT on the season..

Luck's been really clutch. He's ranked #6 in ESPN's QBR, which I think takes the game situation into account.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/year...htm#passing::21

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating

He's in some pretty elite company there.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
Luck's been really clutch. He's ranked #6 in ESPN's QBR, which I think takes the game situation into account.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/year...htm#passing::21

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_quarterback_rating

He's in some pretty elite company there.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/...ead-of-rodgers/

It's an incredibly flawed statistic and shouldn't be used by anyone

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)

It's an incredibly flawed way to evaluate it, one game in which one player offered very limited sample size.

I take QBR with a giant grain of salt, though

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)

That sucks, RIP Jerry Brown. Both guys played at Illinois. Brent got a DUI there and got suspended by the Zookster.

Dumb ass athletes, make so much money, yet they drive around drunk instead of paying someone to drive for them.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 8, 2012 -> 03:41 PM)

I found it somewhat accurate in that it trashed the s*** out of Carson Palmer. Palmer's been awful this year...and QBR shows that. QB Rating on the other hand, does not.

Context is much different in football than it is in baseball, I believe. You can have context-neutral stats in baseball and you can judge the true talent based on that somewhat accurately. It's hard to do that in football, even at the QB position.

That sucks, RIP Jerry Brown. Both guys played at Illinois. Brent got a DUI there and got suspended by the Zookster.

Dumb ass athletes, make so much money, yet they drive around drunk instead of paying someone to drive for them.

They don't even need to pay anybody. Every NFL team has a 24/7 security office that can be called and will arrange a ride home for a player.

I found it somewhat accurate in that it trashed the s*** out of Carson Palmer. Palmer's been awful this year...and QBR shows that. QB Rating on the other hand, does not.

Context is much different in football than it is in baseball, I believe. You can have context-neutral stats in baseball and you can judge the true talent based on that somewhat accurately. It's hard to do that in football, even at the QB position.

This is true. Even though baseball is a team sport, each player's performance is actually not very dependent on the performance of teammates.

In football, it's pretty clear that, for example, the performance of Jay Cutler and Matt Forte suffer horribly because of a s***ty offensive line.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2012 -> 10:07 AM)
I know people love QB's but I think that Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson have had phenomenal years, especially Foster on a great team.

Arian's averaging under 4 yards per carry.

I think Peyton is the clear choice at the moment.

I'd be willing to bet large sums of (monopoly) money that at some point during today's broadcast they show all the snow and say something to the effect of "winter in Minnesota." Only like 4 inches on the ground, but it's the first real snow of the year. I definitely won't be driving downtown today, what with the snow and the game traffic.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 9, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
I'd be willing to bet large sums of (monopoly) money that at some point during today's broadcast they show all the snow and say something to the effect of "winter in Minnesota." Only like 4 inches on the ground, but it's the first real snow of the year. I definitely won't be driving downtown today, what with the snow and the game traffic.

over under on the mentions of the Metrodome roof collapse: 5