2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to get Te'o, but I agree that the picks are far more valuable for the Bears right now. Unless they plan on cutting a lot of salary and going crazy through free agency, but that is never a guaranteed fix

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:08 AM)
I would love to get Te'o, but I agree that the picks are far more valuable for the Bears right now. Unless they plan on cutting a lot of salary and going crazy through free agency, but that is never a guaranteed fix

I'd say they're definitely going to be slashing a few salaries. Hester, Davis, Urlacher are going to have to take a lot less money to come back next year if at all, and that will clear space to get other tasks done.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:13 AM)
I'd say they're definitely going to be slashing a few salaries. Hester, Davis, Urlacher are going to have to take a lot less money to come back next year if at all, and that will clear space to get other tasks done.

I believe that Peppers's cap hit takes a big jump next year if they keep him.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2...ng-dui/1757651/

1:39AM EST December 10. 2012 - IRVING, Texas — Since January 2000, NFL players have been arrested at least 624 times on various charges, including 42 times this year, according to data compiled by USA TODAY Sports.

Of those 624 arrests, 177 (28%) were arrested because they were suspected of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
That doesn't mean that the #2 team will actually want a linebacker though. Jacksonville, Oakland, KC?

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Normally no team is taking a LB #2, but there is not a franchise QB in this draft, so it's at least possible.

KC wouldn't take him. They are set at the LB position (Johnson, Houston, Hali). I don't know how Jacksonville sits there and Oakland does have Phillip Wheeler. Walter football has Te'o the 3rd LB coming off the board at #7 overall FWIW

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:46 AM)
Thanks. If Emery does decide to blow it all up, I could definitely Peppers being a cap casualty.

There is literally zero chance Emery will decide to "Blow it all up" next year, a-la the Colts this year. It would take the team doing what the Eagles have done this year for it to happen.

You could see a substantially different team next year, very true, but "Blow it all up" won't happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:57 AM)
There is literally zero chance Emery will decide to "Blow it all up" next year, a-la the Colts this year. It would take the team doing what the Eagles have done this year for it to happen.

You could see a substantially different team next year, very true, but "Blow it all up" won't happen.

That's what I mean by blow it up. Firing the coaching staff and bringing in new people who will probably run a different system, which could make current veteran players expendable. As long as Lovie has been around with his defensive scheme, changing that would be blowing it up IMO.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)
That's what I mean by blow it up. Firing the coaching staff and bringing in new people who will probably run a different system, which could make current veteran players expendable. As long as Lovie has been around with his defensive scheme, changing that would be blowing it up IMO.

It isn't as if every coaching staff wouldn't love to have Julius Peppers though...I see a lot more places to address first before Peppers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
It isn't as if every coaching staff wouldn't love to have Julius Peppers though...I see a lot more places to address first before Peppers.

Unless for some reason they hire a 3-4 scheme coach...which really would be a true blowup, since you'd be looking at replacing Briggs, the entire D-line sans Shea, Peppers, and the entire defensive backfield within a year or two.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)

I'm not saying he's a problem, but he will be a 33-year old with a salary cap hit of $16.4 million. Depending on what Emery's plan is, it's not a guarantee he is back.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:35 AM)
I'm not saying he's a problem, but he will be a 33-year old with a salary cap hit of $16.4 million. Depending on what Emery's plan is, it's not a guarantee he is back.

That seems like a definite case for a renegotiation.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:02 PM)
Huh? Do you think the loss was his fault or something?

He did throw two costly picks. I thought Cutler played well for the most part, but he should be criticized for how he played, especially early on and later in the game.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 01:06 PM)
He did throw two costly picks. I thought Cutler played well for the most part, but he should be criticized for how he played, especially early on and later in the game.

One of the picks was because the receiver fell down the other was overthrown to a horrific receiver he shouldnt have targeted ever, but was definitely his fault.