2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Rzza was replying to a post where I pointed out that we were dead-average (2011) or a little below-average (2010) under Martz if you measure by pts/game. We are 28th in yds/game this year, were 24th last year and 30th in 2010.

I'm not saying our offense is good, but I don't get the pining for Martz. We're one rushing TD from matching our offensive output in 2010 and one rushing and five passing TD's from matching 2011.

we also had plenty of TO's created by the D over the last two years, they just weren't scoring on as many of them. You'd need to spend a lot of time to find out the resulting field position etc., but when the D scores that takes away opportunities and field position from the O. Nothing wrong with that from a team perspective but something to consider if you're comparing offensive output across years.

Lotta details just to remind about...don't forget when comparing to 2011 that the Bears had Caleb Hanie and no Forte for 1/3 of the season, so they weren't exactly a scoring machine in 2011 that deserves positive comparisons. And yeah, any time you compare total TD's, you run into that serious problem of the Bears scoring D and Special Teams, so you need to go to the next level of comparing running and passing TD's.

The Bears are 18th in the league in passing TD's and tied for 17th in Running. In 2011, they were 24th and 21st. In 2010, they were 20th and 21st. They might be slightly, slightly better this year relative to the rest of the league...but that's a very small upgrade if at all.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 03:11 PM)
Lotta details just to remind about...don't forget when comparing to 2011 that the Bears had Caleb Hanie and no Forte for 1/3 of the season, so they weren't exactly a scoring machine in 2011 that deserves positive comparisons. And yeah, any time you compare total TD's, you run into that serious problem of the Bears scoring D and Special Teams, so you need to go to the next level of comparing running and passing TD's.

The Bears are 18th in the league in passing TD's and tied for 17th in Running. In 2011, they were 24th and 21st. In 2010, they were 20th and 21st. They might be slightly, slightly better this year relative to the rest of the league...but that's a very small upgrade if at all.

Again I'm not saying that the Bears are better than under Martz, I'm saying that they're no worse and that wishing for Martz to come back is baffling to me.

OL is all about value picks. Not taking one in round 1 doesn't necessarily bother me, you can get special players at various positions there. This is just predicated on being able to get 5 year starters on the OL in rounds 3-7. I sure wouldn't mind getting Te'O this year.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 04:17 PM)
Again I'm not saying that the Bears are better than under Martz, I'm saying that they're no worse and that wishing for Martz to come back is baffling to me.

The thing that ought to surprise is that the Bears O is performing basically as bad as it did the last 2 seasons...despite having Marshall, Jeffrey, Carimi, and Bush.

If nothing else, I'll take it back...the Bears additions to the O-line last year weren't enough, and they should have spent money there, even if it meant not getting Marshall.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 09:17 PM)

I think they would be better. The only thing I thought would get better under tice was sacks. It hasn't gotten better. And if it hasn't gotten better than I'd have preferred continuity.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)
OL is all about value picks. Not taking one in round 1 doesn't necessarily bother me, you can get special players at various positions there. This is just predicated on being able to get 5 year starters on the OL in rounds 3-7. I sure wouldn't mind getting Te'O this year.

There were six linemen taken between McClellin and Jeffery that are now starting. Would have been nice to trade down and pick one of them up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
The thing that ought to surprise is that the Bears O is performing basically as bad as it did the last 2 seasons...despite having Marshall, Jeffrey, Carimi, and Bush.

If nothing else, I'll take it back...the Bears additions to the O-line last year weren't enough, and they should have spent money there, even if it meant not getting Marshall.

Imagine how terrible that receiving core would have looked with Marshall the last few games. Without him, the offense would be epicly bad.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 03:23 PM)
There were six linemen taken between McClellin and Jeffery that are now starting. Would have been nice to trade down and pick one of them up.

LOL, I was just searching for that. I mean, thats ridiculous. Its even worse that we picked a 3-4 rush end instead.

How about the players drafted that are starting in general

Weeden

Reiff

Hightower

Mercilus (5 sacks 19 tackles)

Zeitler (12 starts)

Harrison Smith

Doug Martin

David Wilson

Fleener

Upshaw

Janoris Jenkins

Silatolu

Glenn

Martin

I'm not sure that they are actually any good, but damn, the Colts are fun to watch this year. Coming into the year hoping for like a 6-10 season, everything is truly gravy at this point.

Short of the '05 White Sox, this year's Colts are as much fun as I've had following a pro team.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 03:18 PM)

Te'o will go top 12.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 03:31 PM)
LOL, I was just searching for that. I mean, thats ridiculous. Its even worse that we picked a 3-4 rush end instead.

How about the players drafted that are starting in general

Weeden

Reiff

Hightower

Mercilus (5 sacks 19 tackles)

Zeitler (12 starts)

Harrison Smith

Doug Martin

David Wilson

Fleener

Upshaw

Janoris Jenkins

Silatolu

Glenn

Martin

Silatolu hasn't been very good. Glenn has been solid. Zeitler was a guy I would've liked to see them take. Reiff has been nothing more than an extra blocker.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 03:17 PM)
can we get a TE in there?

The Bears should trade down and pick up a 2nd + a 3rd, and with one of their 2 second's, take Zach Ertz from Stanford and Larry Warford (OG) from Kentucky + sign Jake Long.

Either do this, or still take Warford and take a LB in round 2, and sign Jared Cook.

Whichever way, have Carimi and Webb battle it out at RT. Keep Spencer.

Long-Warford-Garza-Louis-Webb/Carimi

That immediately becomes a solid OL as long as Warford pans out.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
As nice as it would be to land Long I think the chances of him ending up actually hitting FA are very unlikely.

For whatever reason people are saying the dolphins plan on letting him walk. Strange, but the talk is getting louder

For all the people complaining about the Shea pick, let me just remind you that Emery also took alshon jeffery who before his injury was leading all rookie Wr's in yards and tied for most TDs with Stephen Hill. He may well be the BEST rookie WR in the league.

So I'll take that. And who knows, Shea might still be good.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
For all the people complaining about the Shea pick, let me just remind you that Emery also took alshon jeffery who before his injury was leading all rookie Wr's in yards and tied for most TDs with Stephen Hill. He may well be the BEST rookie WR in the league.

So I'll take that. And who knows, Shea might still be good.

The problem is that is a wasted first round pick in a year that is considered within a "window". Shea could end up being good sometime, but that doesn't help now and the first round pick should be able to help now.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:05 PM)
For whatever reason people are saying the dolphins plan on letting him walk. Strange, but the talk is getting louder

I hope we get him...

We share a name. I would buy the jersey.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 06:50 PM)
As nice as it would be to land Long I think the chances of him ending up actually hitting FA are very unlikely.

Actually, most people think he will walk. He's had back issues and isn't the same dominant LT he used to be.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 06:46 PM)
I'm still mystified at McClellin being drafted - at all.

Oh come on. Be real. He had like 25 TFL and 17 sacks the past 2 years at Boise State and ran the 2nd best 40 time at the combine of OLB/DE's.

Edited by soxfan49