2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)
For whatever reason people are saying the dolphins plan on letting him walk. Strange, but the talk is getting louder

Yep, I've heard this too. I even heard Len Pasquarelli say on the radio the other day that he thinks Long is likely to go elsewhere.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)
If I'm the Bears GM I'd give Jake Long a blank check and ask him how much.

I don't know about that. He's 28, yes, but he's had a back, biceps, and triceps injury in the past 2 years. He's likely going to cost 35-50M guaranteed.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:18 PM)
Oh come on. Be real. He had like 25 TFL and 17 sacks the past 2 years at Boise State and ran the 2nd best 40 time at the combine of OLB/DE's.

The Bears didn't need DE or a tweener. They needed OL help.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:08 PM)
If I'm the Bears GM I'd give Jake Long a blank check and ask him how much.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:41 PM)
I don't know about that. He's 28, yes, but he's had a back, biceps, and triceps injury in the past 2 years. He's likely going to cost 35-50M guaranteed.

Still might be worth it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
The Bears didn't need DE or a tweener. They needed OL help.

For one, you said you're still mystified how McClellin was drafted at all, implying no team should've taken him.

But since you didn't mean it that way apparently, an argument could be made that they did need DL help. What have their DL-men done this year? Wootton has been their best one. Idonije is nothing more than a 5-6 sack guy. Have you seen Peppers' season? He has 0 FF, 1 FR, and 0 INT's.

Furthermore, Henry Melton had a great start to the year, but he's only had 1 sack in his last 5 games.

They did need OL help, and it's a damn shame they added only f***ing ONE all offseason and that was Chilo Rachal, but DL was a need as well.

Edited by soxfan49

I agree that DL was a need at the time, Lovie's defense depends on pressure from the front 4 and we weren't getting that pressure last year.

This year, when everybody was healthy, we had one of the best front 4 rotations in the league. And that included contributions from guys like Shea

One of the problems is that we have so many needs and just not enough ways to fill them all.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 10:09 PM)
Still might be worth it.

That's kind of my thought as well. With as horrible as the o-line is now, I'd overpay for Long. His injuries are a bit worrisome, but I'd take that chance. Obviously, it all depends on how free agency shapes up and who isn't re-signed by other teams. But Pro Bowl LT's don't typically become available in free agency, so if Long is out there, the Bears would be stupid to not explore the option.

Another story involving an NFL player and drunk driving:

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20121210/N...ts-Reggie-Wayne

A hotel valet employee was arrested after, police said, he took a car owned by Indianapolis Colts receiver Reggie Wayne and drove it while he was drunk.

Wayne, 34, told police he left his 2007 Bentley around 6:30 p.m. Saturday with a valet employee at The Westin Hotel on South Capitol Avenue in Downtown Indianapolis. Wayne's keys and his car were missing the next morning, according to an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department report.

Police later identified the employee who took Wayne's car as Gunner Belcher, 21, Indianapolis. A supervisor told police Belcher left work around 9 p.m. Saturday but did not clock out, the report said.

He was arrested around 2 a.m. Sunday in the 300 block of South Meridian Street for driving while intoxicated, the report said. The car that Belcher was driving was towed by Last Chance Wrecker.

Police confirmed around noon Sunday that the car was Wayne's Bentley. The car has been returned to the Colts player.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
Actually, most people think he will walk. He's had back issues and isn't the same dominant LT he used to be.

Oh come on. Be real. He had like 25 TFL and 17 sacks the past 2 years at Boise State and ran the 2nd best 40 time at the combine of OLB/DE's.

I was talking to an NFL head coach this summer, odd circumstance, and he was pretty candid about the Bears. He was not a fan of Martz, Tice or Lovie. He also said that they had Shea as a third round talent and without a position in the NFL. His thought on the OC position was that Lovie really did not knwo what he wanted and could not make a decision on that position to save his life. Teams were not letting him interview guys anymore for that position which is why Tice was handed the job.

Some things on Lovie. He is abysmal at evaluating and developing talent. My feeling is that he has a say in the draft and roster moreso than we are lead to believe. I find it odd that after Lovie got his deal after the Super Bowl all of a sudden Jerry Angelo could not draft any longer. I also think the McClellan pick has Lovie written all over it to replace Urlacher at middle linebacker.

Lovie inherited three pro bowl defenders and was handed a DE with hall of fame talent and he is incapable of building on that.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 10:06 AM)
I was talking to an NFL head coach this summer, odd circumstance, and he was pretty candid about the Bears. He was not a fan of Martz, Tice or Lovie. He also said that they had Shea as a third round talent and without a position in the NFL. His thought on the OC position was that Lovie really did not knwo what he wanted and could not make a decision on that position to save his life. Teams were not letting him interview guys anymore for that position which is why Tice was handed the job.

Some things on Lovie. He is abysmal at evaluating and developing talent. My feeling is that he has a say in the draft and roster moreso than we are lead to believe. I find it odd that after Lovie got his deal after the Super Bowl all of a sudden Jerry Angelo could not draft any longer. I also think the McClellan pick has Lovie written all over it to replace Urlacher at middle linebacker.

Lovie inherited three pro bowl defenders and was handed a DE with hall of fame talent and he is incapable of building on that.

If you wanted to argue in favor of this...the fact that the Bears offense this year looks exactly like the Bears offense last year, despite the supposed statements about how they were going to be smarter about their protections and use more quick routes and rollouts to keep the pressure off Cutler...is about the best bit of evidence I've seen.

After the Packers Shellacking earlier this year I was starting to wonder if maybe the offensive problem is that Cutler really likes looking down the field and is unwilling to adapt to any other system, because things were so similar.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:06 AM)

If that is the case, then why has Lovie been so stubborn and insistent on keeping McClellin at DE? Right now is the time that McClellin should be moving into that spot and he is still a spot rusher

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Dec 10, 2012 -> 07:08 PM)
For all the people complaining about the Shea pick, let me just remind you that Emery also took alshon jeffery who before his injury was leading all rookie Wr's in yards and tied for most TDs with Stephen Hill. He may well be the BEST rookie WR in the league.

So I'll take that. And who knows, Shea might still be good.

Yes but still we took a 3-4 rush end for a 4-3 defense when our biggest need was OL. That's flat out bad drafting.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
Yes but still we took a 3-4 rush end for a 4-3 defense when our biggest need was OL. That's flat out bad drafting.

It depends on if you bought into the "Martz's system" explanation for the struggles of the Bears O-line. I did, and frankly still do somewhat (although my belief in Tice has declined precipitously since the offense looks to have the exact same structure), and if you buy into that, then the Bears' biggest needs were DE and WR.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
It depends on if you bought into the "Martz's system" explanation for the struggles of the Bears O-line. I did, and frankly still do somewhat (although my belief in Tice has declined precipitously since the offense looks to have the exact same structure), and if you buy into that, then the Bears' biggest needs were DE and WR.

Ill give you WR, I didnt think DE was a huge need especially with Wooten coming back. I thought LB was a larger need.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 10:33 AM)
Ill give you WR, I didnt think DE was a huge need especially with Wooten coming back. I thought LB was a larger need.

With his injury history, I thought there was a decent chance Wooten wouldn't be with the team coming out of TC.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2012 -> 09:38 AM)
With his injury history, I thought there was a decent chance Wooten wouldn't be with the team coming out of TC.

Like any good fan I had full confidence in every player's injuries getting better. I really like his ability, at times I get him confused with Peppers.

Release Peppers and get Jake Long. Football experts seem to think the Dolphins need more help than Long can give.

In order for that to happen Lovie has to be shown the door. His defense will not work without a Pro Bowl MLB and stout defensive line. Both of which will be gone next year if the offensive line is going to be rebuilt.