2012-2013 NFL Thread

Cap space is still money. Irsay said it had nothing to do with money. That's a lie.

Except that the Colts are going to spend 100% of their cap space on players, regardless of whether or not it is on Peyton. In fact, if it's a money decision, you keep Peyton because while your team's expenditures are going to be the same either way, your team's revenues are going to be higher if Peyton is still around.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:09 AM)
Cap space is still money. Irsay said it had nothing to do with money. That's a lie.

I can't believe that you are taking that seriously. Owners and players say that crap all of the time, and 99% of the time it is a lie. If it weren't true, Manning would still be there, end of story.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:12 AM)
Except that the Colts are going to spend 100% of their cap space on players, regardless of whether or not it is on Peyton. In fact, if it's a money decision, you keep Peyton because while your team's expenditures are going to be the same either way, your team's revenues are going to be higher if Peyton is still around.

Its about allocating resources. If Manning were making $2 million, he'd still be a Colt. Its not a coincidence he's released a day or 2 before they have to pay him $28 million. They don't think having Manning on the roster is worth the money they would have to pay. The reason Manning isn't a Colt is because of the amount of money he would have had to have been paid. That is a money decision.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:19 AM)
I can't believe that you are taking that seriously. Owners and players say that crap all of the time, and 99% of the time it is a lie. If it weren't true, Manning would still be there, end of story.

I know that. I just don't know why owners and players continue to say its not about the money. They obviously believe the public is stupid. I really don't know why he had to add that when everyone knows its about a $28 million check he was about to have to write.

Dick, everyone in the nfl talks out of both sides of their mouths. From the owners to the front office to the players. It is what it is, Irsay isn't destroying peoples trust in him, everyone knows what happened and why it happened.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 10:24 AM)
I know that. I just don't know why owners and players continue to say its not about the money. They obviously believe the public is stupid. I really don't know why he had to add that when everyone knows its about a $28 million check he was about to have to write.

It isn't unusual. Remember if we took politicians at their word, none of last cycles Presidential candidates were running for President either.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012...-miami-dolphins

Miami Heat stars LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, despite their affinities to other NFL teams, are making their pitches to free agent quarterback Peyton Manning to join them on South Beach.

“I’m just sayin’, Dolphins need a quarterback, and Peyton’s available,” James said, per the Sun Sentinel.

Dwyane Wade and LeBron James are looking to bring another superstar to Miami. (AP Photo)

Asked if that statement was part of an effort to recruit Manning to Miami, James responded, “Oh, you guys heard me? I gave my pitch, my one and only pitch. We’ll see what happens.”

Tweeted Wade, “I'm just gonna put it out thr..peyton that number 18 wld look gr8 in a dolphins uniform..steve ross let's go.. marlins & heat style..All in.”

But James is Dallas Cowboys fan, and Wade is from Chicago and backs the Bears.

“I’m a Miami Heat player, and I want Miami sports to be great,” James said. “The U, the Dolphins, the Marlins, the Heat, of course.”

Associated Press writer Tim Reynolds tweeted to Wade, “Stunned you're not talking Bears and Peyton ... just stunned.”

Replied Wade, “I like our QB @JayCutler6. We got other issues.”

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012...s#ixzz1oYEYblze

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
That is another issue entirely. This is the Patriots last 10 years of picks

2001 6 Richard Seymour DT Georgia

2002 21 Daniel Graham TE Colorado [29]

2003 13 Ty Warren DT Texas A&M [30]

2004 21 Vince Wilfork DT Miami (FL) [31]

32 Benjamin Watson TE Georgia

2005 32 Logan Mankins OG Fresno State

2006 21 Laurence Maroney RB Minnesota

2007 24 Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL) [32]

2008 10 Jerod Mayo LB Tennessee [33]

2009 No first-round draft pick [34]

2010 27 Devin McCourty CB Rutgers [35]

2011 17 Nate Solder OT Colorado

Some decent talent, some swings and misses. Nothing awe inspiring. Wilfork, Mayo, Mankins and Seymour obviously worked. Everyone else, meh

For whatever reason, it never dawned on me, but Belichick did try the TE thing in the first part of the decade. Bringing in Graham and Watson with first round picks that close together kind of alludes to the fact that he wanted something along those lines. He just so happened to get exactly what he wanted a few years later in the same exact draft.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 07:47 PM)
For whatever reason, it never dawned on me, but Belichick did try the TE thing in the first part of the decade. Bringing in Graham and Watson with first round picks that close together kind of alludes to the fact that he wanted something along those lines. He just so happened to get exactly what he wanted a few years later in the same exact draft.

Yeah, you can see two things he was trying to do, stack the D line and stack the TEs. It just so happened that Ty Warren, Ben Watson and Daniel Graham didnt work as well as Hernandez, Wilfork, and Gronk

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 08:55 AM)
Yeah, you can see two things he was trying to do, stack the D line and stack the TEs. It just so happened that Ty Warren, Ben Watson and Daniel Graham didnt work as well as Hernandez, Wilfork, and Gronk

Ty Warren had a pretty nice career. He isn't hall of fame or anything, but he was one of the better 3-4 DE in football for 5-6 years.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 09:55 AM)
If he's there in the 3rd and my team needs a TE i'm still taking him

I think someone will still take him pretty early. DUI is stupid, but it's like he got caught running a drug ring.

Still pretty stupid on his part.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 10:59 AM)
I think someone will still take him pretty early. DUI is stupid, but it's like he got caught running a drug ring.

Still pretty stupid on his part.

Still pretty stupid but it's not really a big deal IMO

edit: i'm not saying DWI is not a big deal, I mean that it doesn't necessarily mean anything is seriously wrong with the kid. He's a kid, and kids do stupid things.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

http://www.csnchicago.com/football-chicago...tm_medium=email

Jackson could come with a catch for the Bears

Cortland Finnegan is trying to make himself and Vincent Jackson a package deal. (USPresswire)

March 8, 2012, 9:17 pm

TONY ANDRACKI

csnchicago.png

The Bears have an obvious interest in free agent receiver Vincent Jackson. He would instantly become the team's leading wideout and give Jay Cutler a sizeable target for the first time in Chicago.

But could there be a catch in going after 29-year-old Pro Bowler?

According to ProFootballTalk and Jason Cole from Yahoo, free agent cornerback Cortland Finnegan is actively recruiting V-Jax to be a part of a package deal in signing with a team.

The two have been texting back and forth and Tampa Bay seems like a logical destination to some.

Would the Bears get in on the action, though?

Chicago is famous for playing a Cover-2 defense under head coach Lovie Smith, who isn't going anywhere. At least for a while. They still have Pro Bowler Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings and others on the roster.

The front office has already said they will spend money this offseason, but do they want a large portion of that to go to a cornerback when it's not a dire need? Finnegan would figure to draw a decent contract and is already 28 years old. The Bears want to retool at cornerback, but they want to get younger talent.

Finnegan has just three interceptions the past two seasons, but has made 175 tackles over that time in starting all 32 games for the Tennessee Titans. He is known around the league as one of the most physical corners in the game.

If Jackson and Finnegan do become a package deal, it's hard to see the Bears buying. But you never know what could happen.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 10:11 AM)
I really really like Corteland Finnegan. However, it sounds like he'll be pricey.

He's a pretty physical corner as well, isn't he. That isn't the kind of defense that the Bears are known for. Maybe that would change if he came, but could be a bad fit.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
He's a pretty physical corner as well, isn't he. That isn't the kind of defense that the Bears are known for. Maybe that would change if he came, but could be a bad fit.

Ie. Asomughe with Philly. Goes from one of the best one on one CBs in the league to being lost in the Philly D

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 08:20 AM)

I actually think that fits well. Tillman is a pretty physical corner.

In a Cover 2, a corner needs more tackling ability and doesn't need as much speed as corners playing more man or Cover 3.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
In a Cover 2, a corner needs more tackling ability and doesn't need as much speed as corners playing more man or Cover 3.

So what do you think of Finnegan on tackling ability?