2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:53 AM)
Don't know how that was possibly a PI on Conte... Horrible call from far side official. But in reality, doesn't matter. Bears deserve to lose this game. They are playing like dogs***.

The calls today were brutal but this is it. Lovie needs to go. We need a fresh start. And Cutler, you have proven you are what you are. You blame others but at the end of the day you get frazzled, make mistakes, and think you are better then everyone else. The act is old and tired. Yes you are talented and I'll give you one more year, but if you don't get it done...you are done as a Bear in my mind.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 11:59 AM)
Even if he did, that throw was going to be way over his head. With that said, sure seems like Jeffery has a lot of improvement to make before he's an average receiver.

I don't get it. I think he had about one bad play (the one where he looked the wrong way). Otherwise he played physical and made some nice grabs. Unfortunately the refs called some offensive PI's that rarely get called.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 12:02 PM)
New GM will want his own guy.....................bring on Cowher! Mike Tice for blasting Martz offense is ranked just as bad even with Marshall clean house!

Cowher is not coming here. He wants to be a GM. Best case scenario is Andy Reid.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:00 PM)
I don't get it. I think he had about one bad play (the one where he looked the wrong way). Otherwise he played physical and made some nice grabs. Unfortunately the refs called some offensive PI's that rarely get called.

Yeah, I actually loved what I saw from Jeffrey today.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:01 PM)
Cowher is not coming here. He wants to be a GM. Best case scenario is Andy Reid.

Andy Reid is going to end up in San Diego. He just built his house there and wants to be closer with his family if/when let go by Philly. Also, the same issues that plague Lovie are the same ones that plague Andy. No offensive lineman and the leaders on defense are old.

I don't know what changes with another coach. You still need an offensive line, you still need to get younger on defense. Plain and simple. I have yet to see a valid reason as to why Lovie should be fired.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 03:59 PM)
The calls today were brutal but this is it. Lovie needs to go. We need a fresh start. And Cutler, you have proven you are what you are. You blame others but at the end of the day you get frazzled, make mistakes, and think you are better then everyone else. The act is old and tired. Yes you are talented and I'll give you one more year, but if you don't get it done...you are done as a Bear in my mind.

Yeah, this sums it up pretty well in my mind...I like Jay but when the heat gets turned up a bit, he turns into a little b****. That being the case, Mike Tice has got to go, and as much as I love Lovie's defense, I think he needs to be a casualty as well. Time to bring a new sheriff to town and see what else works.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:04 PM)
Andy Reid is going to end up in San Diego. He just built his house there and wants to be closer with his family if/when let go by Philly. Also, the same issues that plague Lovie are the same ones that plague Andy. No offensive lineman and the leaders on defense are old.

I don't know what changes with another coach. You still need an offensive line, you still need to get younger on defense. Plain and simple. I have yet to see a valid reason as to why Lovie should be fired.

At least Andy has a bit of a clue as to how an offense should be run, but yeah, none of these retreads does anything for me.

I am ready to bring in someone innovative with fresh ideas.

I'd like us to interview Chip Kelly...s***, I'd even consider talking to Josh McDaniels...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 12:58 PM)
your livelihood is going to be changed by your second-half collapse.

Lovie had plenty of opportunities. Losing to Seattle and Minny who are not very good sealed their fate. This was a chance to redeem it and he failed.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 01:01 PM)
Jeez Cutler. Awful game for him today

I'm very mad at Cutler. He blames everyone and needs to take responsibility. At the end of the day, no matter the s***ty line, he gets rattled and doesn't make the plays when necessary. The offensive execution was absolutely awful. And has been all year. Stupid penalties, stupid drops, etc.

Tice is a joke of an OC (I was wrong). Martz clearly was much much better and Bears would have been better with Martz (especially having Marshall + Bush + Jeffrey). Cutler will get one more chance next year and it better be with the Bears bringing in an offensive HC who is a QB guru (hmmmm...Andy Reid please).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:07 PM)
At least Andy has a bit of a clue as to how an offense should be run, but yeah, none of these retreads does anything for me.

I'd like us to interview Chip Kelly...s***, I'd even consider talking to Josh McDaniels...

Andy Reid though has legitimately tried to put O-linemen in there. Hasn't made the best decisions the last couple years, but they did try.

They also had some serious O-lines for the better part of the last decade, IIRC.

The thing that would have driven me nuts about him is the "Mike Martz" style forgetting about the run game.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 01:05 PM)
If you don't have those calls go against Jeffery, his numbers would look pretty decent. We just didn't give him a chance. This always happens with the Bears. I can't think of a thing Jay could have done given his supporting crew + playcalling

He could have not thrown that stupid ass pick at the half. He could have hit Rodriguez in the flat where we settled for a field goal. He could have thrown a more accurate ball on the illegal contact (which was an awful call that went against the Packers) where Jeffrey could have caught it in stride and got a td. End of the day, Cutler didn't get it done. I'm sick of making excuses for him.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:10 PM)
Didnt Emery have a 3-4 or 4-3 (whichever has 4 LBs)? Shea is not a DE but I think he has potential as an OLB. Lets make that happen if Lovie is gone. Briggs-Urlacher-Roach-Shea.

Yes Emery ran a 3-4 style with the Patriots and with the Chiefs.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
Jay appears to hold anyone necessary accountable in the huddle, but he takes all the blame in the media.

Sometimes you need your QB to step up and make a play, or to have a game where he doesn't make the big mistake(s). Jay Cutler has shown no ability to do those when he's facing a tough challenge.

I just don't think he has it to carry the team. You can still win with a QB like that, but you have to build around him and try to turn him into a manager. Basically, stop letting Cutler make the big mistake.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:05 PM)
Yeah, this sums it up pretty well in my mind...I like Jay but when the heat gets turned up a bit, he turns into a little b****. That being the case, Mike Tice has got to go, and as much as I love Lovie's defense, I think he needs to be a casualty as well. Time to bring a new sheriff to town and see what else works.

Sean Payton would be a great hire.

And I'm with ya Shack, I didn't see anything other then good things out of Jeffrey (aside from the one throw where he got turned around). Should have been a TD. That said I've seen Cutler miss a lot downfield on some potential TD's. It is irritating since thats supposed to be a strength. This team just doesn't execute when it counts and that is on the players and coaches (Cutler & Tice) and well...Lovie has had way too many chances and failed every time he's tried to bring in an OC. Its over, he shouldn't get another chance.

Bears have a good roster and can win. Yes they have some things they need to fix but they need to get a proven offensive guy and then I think they should be able to find a good defensive guy (I'm sure there are plenty of good defensive people that wouldn't have a problem coaching this D).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:13 PM)
Sometimes you need your QB to step up and make a play, or to have a game where he doesn't make the big mistake(s). Jay Cutler has shown no ability to do those when he's facing a tough challenge.

I just don't think he has it to carry the team. You can still win with a QB like that, but you have to build around him and try to turn him into a manager. Basically, stop letting Cutler make the big mistake.

I don't even know if I would go that far. I think he should be Matt Schaub good though...and I wouldn't call him a "manager." He's just not on that first tier of guys that seem capable of getting a win no matter who you put out there around them.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:07 PM)

I don't like either of those ideas. Mcdaniels won't work anyway (unless Bears plan on dumping Cutler). Chip Kelly, love him in college, but just don't think his schtick will work in the pro's. If Angelo were around, I'd say we'd probably hire Saban.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:13 PM)

I thought Cutler looked pretty good last year making something from nothing. I'm not saying that he's great or anything, but he has, albeit briefly, "stepped up" in the past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
Andy Reid though has legitimately tried to put O-linemen in there. Hasn't made the best decisions the last couple years, but they did try.

They also had some serious O-lines for the better part of the last decade, IIRC.

The thing that would have driven me nuts about him is the "Mike Martz" style forgetting about the run game.

But he at least does a lot of high percentage passing plays. He understands the game so well. I really think he's a great great mind.

QUOTE (Jake @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:11 PM)
Jay appears to hold anyone necessary accountable in the huddle, but he takes all the blame in the media.

I'm glad he's taking responsibility. So what do the Bears need to happen to make the playoffs. Clearly they need to win 2 in a row, but what else needs to happen?