2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
I watch an awful lot of football and I haven't seen the refs scrutinize a wideout for contact or pushing off like that all year. You maybe see one of those called, but not three.

I've never seen that many offensive PI's called in my life. It was disgraceful. But the Bears have been so pathetic that it didn't surprise me. They can't blame the refs, they can blame themselves (and it includes the choke job against the Seahawks and the awful execution against the Vikings).

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
I watch an awful lot of football and I haven't seen the refs scrutinize a wideout for contact or pushing off like that all year. You maybe see one of those called, but not three.

I think part of the problem was that they all looked really bad in realtime. In every case the DB went to the ground and it seemed like Alshon had his hands out. Maybe that's just a matter of him having his body/hands in the wrong position, but it seemed every time like he was begging to get called for it.

I still think the only answer is to allow some of the big penalties (Pass interference, personal fouls) to be challenged. Peppers' hit fits that description too.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 05:51 PM)
I think part of the problem was that they all looked really bad in realtime. In every case the DB went to the ground and it seemed like Alshon had his hands out. Maybe that's just a matter of him having his body/hands in the wrong position, but it seemed every time like he was begging to get called for it.

I still think the only answer is to allow some of the big penalties (Pass interference, personal fouls) to be challenged. Peppers' hit fits that description too.

He's a big ass dude, that's one of the reasons we drafted him.

That being said, I disagree. I didn't think they looked bad in real time.

The NFL (and college football too, for that matter) needs to start holding officials responsible for their actions. It's disgraceful to have the greatest sport in the world have the worst refs. I don't know how it realistically gets done, but a major overhaul needs to happen in officiating.

I'm a NCAA lacrosse referee, so I tend to side with my referee brethren because being a ref is pretty damn hard. But what happened today is ludicrous. Jobs need to be lost. I seriously mean that. If I'm under-performing as a ref and am told to take a hike, I'd be okay with that. Every other damn job in the world is performance-based. Why isn't officiating?

For instance, I get reviewed for every game I officiate but nothing ever comes of it. And I know I shouldn't say this, but they literally don't care. They tell the coaches to fill out an evaluation sheet for each ref after every game. If the coaches don't do it within 24 hours, they get fined $100. And yet, I've never seen a review of a game I've ref'd. They don't even use them unless someone grades out truly horrible. It simply to appease the coaches and make them feel like action is being taken. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL operates similarly.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:03 PM)
Yeah, I actually loved what I saw from Jeffrey today.

this

the refs were horse s***, those off PIs hardly ever get called...especially when the DBs are also grabbing and pushing.

Jeffrey gonna be a good WR.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)

I thought in real time it looked bad because at least 2 of the PIs Jeffery had his arms out so it looked like he was pushing off, even if on replay you could see it was nothing.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 04:57 PM)

I thought in real time it looked bad because at least 2 of the PIs Jeffery had his arms out so it looked like he was pushing off, even if on replay you could see it was nothing.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:00 AM)

I thought the end zone call sucked thought because it was within five yards.

Does anyone know if the five yard rule does not extend past goal line?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Dec 16, 2012 -> 03:52 PM)
This fighting downfield happens EVERY game in NFL the fix is in guys......................GB getting game handed to them.

LOL.

I love catching up on this thread monday mornings

Edit: Also, I know most of you are Bears fans, but most people have been saying at least 2 of the 3 OPI calls on Jeffery were correct and the 3rd was iffy. I understand the game was called badly and apparently there were similar plays by GB not called penalties, but the actual OPI calls themselves weren't bad calls.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

I actually thought Jeffery should of had another PI called on him. They instead called it on Shields, even though Jeffery was pushing Shields to the ground by his face mask.

They will usually let WR do a little bit, but Jeffery was blunting pushing Shields to the ground.

Yeah, guys, the only travesty last night was that final PI not being called on Shields. But Alshon needs to find a way to be less obvious with the push offs or wait until he's earned some respect around the league before pulling stunts like that every time the ball is headed his direction. It was a penalty every time he did it, and rookies don't get away with that s***.

Bears lose. Bears suck. Lovie will be gone. Cutler is 30 next year and has not developed at all since coming to the Bears for a myriad of coaching, scheme, talent reasons. They wasted a great acquisition, and hopefully the new regime can draft a QB and develop real talent around him at some point in the next 30 years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
A guy at the game said that he was one of the highest paid kickers in the league. He's basically as accurate as a college kicker at this point.

He got a contract couple years ago. He has been fine until this year. Last year was really good.

I hope it's just a funk, but it's been a season long thing.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
LOL.

I love catching up on this thread monday mornings

Edit: Also, I know most of you are Bears fans, but most people have been saying at least 2 of the 3 OPI calls on Jeffery were correct and the 3rd was iffy. I understand the game was called badly and apparently there were similar plays by GB not called penalties, but the actual OPI calls themselves weren't bad calls.

If you aren't going to call those on GB's WRs, then don't call it against Chicago, that right there makes them bad calls. The Peppers "late hit" was crap, so was the PI on Conte.

In the end, GB is the better team, they don't need refs helping them out...