2012-2013 NFL Thread

We've seen it before, a team barely gets in and goes on to win the SB, the last two years in fact. Could happen this year too. I just don't think the Bears have it in them, the OL is just too horrible. They made the mediocre GB defense look elite yesterday.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Sox1 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
It would be amazing if the Bears could beat GB in the Wildcard round

I know they've done nothing to convince anyone that they could...but this Bears team ought to be able to stand up to the Packers. When healthy, their defense does as well as anyone of containing Rodgers...the Bears offense just sees the packers on the other side and thinks they're the 85 Bears D.

This Packers D is not nearly as good as the Bears make them look. They're in the middle of the league for yards given up and points given up. But they play the Bears...and the Bears can't move the ball forward 1 yard when given the ball at the opponent's 16.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:49 PM)
We've seen it before, a team barely gets in and goes on to win the SB, the last two years in fact. Could happen this year too. I just don't think the Bears have it in them, the OL is just too horrible. They made the mediocre GB defense look elite yesterday.

The Packers defense isn't mediocre.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:51 PM)
Tied at 14th in yards given up with Dallas, slightly better (9) in scoring defense.

They'd be in the bottom half of the league if they didn't get to play the Bears.

Second in sacks and they missed their best pass rusher for 5 games.

They are in the top 5 in takeovers.

Dom Capers is always gonna give up yards.

I would put them in top 10-12 defenses in the league.

Also as playing the Bears. All teams play bad offenses. The 49ers get to play 4 games against St. Louis and Arizona every year.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:50 PM)
The Packers defense isn't mediocre.

It's certainly not elite and they don't flat out suck, they're in the middle=mediocre.

GB's chances rest on Aaron Rodgers arm. Which might be enough :(

BTW, everyone knows the reason the Giants have had success is because they are able to consistently put pressure on Rodgers without blitzing, something the Bears have also been able to do, the big difference is that the Giants have an offense that can score...

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 08:37 PM)
If Jay Cutler was capable of winning a game for a team I would like the Bears chances.

I personally think Jay Cutler is glorified more than he should be because the history of the QB position for the Bears is so bad.

LOL.

Bears fans, ladies and gentleman.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
LOL.

His post was pretty honest. Jay Cutler is not the franchise quarterback in terms of today's NFL. He's an average quarterback. However, comparing him to the joke of a history that is the Bears, he's the best ever. So yeah, we'll stick with him.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:56 PM)
Second in sacks and they missed their best pass rusher for 5 games.

They are in the top 5 in takeovers.

Dom Capers is always gonna give up yards.

I would put them in top 10-12 defenses in the league.

Also as playing the Bears. All teams play bad offenses. The 49ers get to play 4 games against St. Louis and Arizona every year.

They lost to the Rams and tied the Rams in their two meetings

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:37 PM)
If Jay Cutler was capable of winning a game for a team I would like the Bears chances.

I personally think Jay Cutler is glorified more than he should be because the history of the QB position for the Bears is so bad.

I so wanted Cutler to be the answer to our QB woes but as talented as he is and considering the garbage surrounding him, I have to agree with your post. He just makes too many boneheaded decisions out there, his mechanics is crap and his mental toughness is questionable. Every game you know he's gonna give the D two or three chances at an INT at the worst time. How many times did Rodgers throw a wtf pass yesterday? I can't recall even one...

The Bears FO also needs to take a big share of the blame too, it's not all on Cutler. I still think we can win with him with a top notch QB coach and OC. The Bears for some reason haven't had that since I've been a fan and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
That's why the Bears' GM was fired last year.

and our biggest issue, the OL wasn't adressed. I f***ing hate being a Bears fan right now but I can't not root for them. I feel like a Cubs fan.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 01:31 PM)
The way they've been playing? Probably not. But my gut feeling is that the only two definite losses there would be San Fran or GB.

The Bears weren't that far from beating Green Bay even with a horrific offensive and officiated game, and all of the injuries.

Another point, I heard yesterday that Rodgers has been sacked more than any other QB this season? I have a lot more respect for him after hearing that. Green Bay has had QB protection isues but that doesn't make Rodgers get pouty and ineffective.

ARodg is just an awesome player, he gets the job done no matter what. To be fair though, he does have more weapons and has a HC who knows what an offense is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:40 PM)
LOL.

What is LOL about what I said?

Jay Cutler is a good quarterback, probably top 10, in the league.

Jay Cutler does not make any players around him better, he potentially can make them worse as he can be inaccurate, holds the ball to long and trys to force plays. Thsi coachign staff though as a whole does not make any players better.

Jay Cutler has not been given a sensible OC that can use his skill set, this may be Jay Cutler not being receptive to coaching as well.

Jay Cutler is one of a few NFL QB's that can "make all of the throws".

Jay Cutler is the best QB the Bears franchise has ever had.

What there exactly makes me a "LOL...Bears fan"

I do not think Jay Cutler can lead this team to the Super Bowl. Where now do I turn in my fan card?

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 02:46 PM)
His post was pretty honest. Jay Cutler is not the franchise quarterback in terms of today's NFL. He's an average quarterback. However, comparing him to the joke of a history that is the Bears, he's the best ever. So yeah, we'll stick with him.

I disagree, he is the exact talent that could be called a franchise QB, he has had s*** around him most of the time here. What other team would use Devin Hester as their "#1" WR? like we did years ago. The fact that he's the most talented QB we've had in my lifetime just amplifies it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:26 PM)
I disagree, he is the exact talent that could be called a franchise QB, he has had s*** around him most of the time here. What other team would use Devin Hester as their "#1" WR? like we did years ago. The fact that he's the most talented QB we've had in my lifetime just amplifies it.

He has all of the physical talent to be the franchise quarterback but he does not seem to have any of the intangible qualities. Although this could be due to the fact that the organization and coaching staff can not find a legitimate OC that can use his talents. Although this seems to be an overriding theme with him, was the baggage he came with and he has never put said baggage down.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:24 PM)
Another point, I heard yesterday that Rodgers has been sacked more than any other QB this season? I have a lot more respect for him after hearing that. Green Bay has had QB protection isues but that doesn't make Rodgers get pouty and ineffective.

ARodg is just an awesome player, he gets the job done no matter what. To be fair though, he does have more weapons and has a HC who knows what an offense is.

The OL for the Packers has been banged up this year, but some of those sacks are on Rodgers.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
The OL for the Packers has been banged up this year, but some of those sacks are on Rodgers.

He can hold the ball too long and will get sacked yet he can make plays as well so they live with it. He also seems to be able to get sacked without it taking him out of games.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:33 PM)
He has all of the physical talent to be the franchise quarterback but he does not seem to have any of the intangible qualities. Although this could be due to the fact that the organization and coaching staff can not find a legitimate OC that can use his talents. Although this seems to be an overriding theme with him, was the baggage he came with and he has never put said baggage down.

The baggage all centers around his facial expressions, I just dont buy it. He was on the radio today and had a 100% better interview than Urlacher did yet Jay is the one that has baggage. He's gone through how many OC's in his time here and how many OL? This is a guy that plays through pain better than any other QB I've seen while at the same time battling diabetes. The media doesnt sway me to the anti-jay POV at all.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
The baggage all centers around his facial expressions, I just dont buy it. He was on the radio today and had a 100% better interview than Urlacher did yet Jay is the one that has baggage. He's gone through how many OC's in his time here and how many OL? This is a guy that plays through pain better than any other QB I've seen while at the same time battling diabetes. The media doesnt sway me to the anti-jay POV at all.

Urlacher is douche

What I am not certain of is how much of the OC coaching carousel is due to the inept bears FO and Lovie Smith's staff and how much is Jay.

Can Jay Cutler win a Super Bowl yes, will he with this team this year, no.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
He can hold the ball too long and will get sacked yet he can make plays as well so they live with it. He also seems to be able to get sacked without it taking him out of games.

Yeah sometimes he barely gets tackled. Rodgers has a pretty good sense of when to get in the fetal position and just go down.

Cutler is always taking some ugly shots. Probably because the DE is running at him untouched.