2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton Manning could be close to choosing his next landing spot after just two stops on his free-agent tour, ESPN reported Sunday.

Citing sources close to Manning and a competing executive, the report put the Denver Broncos in the lead over Arizona and said Miami and Seattle might not even get the chance to arrange meetings with Manning.

One source, said to have spoken with Manning before his visit to the Cardinals, told ESPN that “his gut is that Manning is leaning toward Denver.”

The Cardinals did get a visit, though, as Manning was in town Saturday night and remained in the Phoenix area Sunday, according to Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic.

The Broncos are in better financial position to strike immediately with nearly $30 million of salary cap space. The Cardinals are currently over the projected cap of $120.6 million, but could rework contract and release offensive tackle Levi Brown, who has a 2012 cap number of nearly $17 million, to free as much as $23 million, according to team sources.

If Denver lands Manning, Tim Tebow would be traded, with the Jacksonville Jaguars in line to acquire him, a source told Pro Football Network.

Link

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 07:38 PM)
You and everyone else in the country have very different definitions of hysterical.

I think it would be great putting one of the most followed players on probably the least followed teams. If ESPN was a person, their head would explode.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 11, 2012 -> 04:20 PM)

The latest hype is that the Titans owner wants Peyton Manning VERY badly. He makes a ton of sense in Tennessee IMO. He's already adored there from his college days. You let Locker learn from one of the best ever for a few years, and having him at QB will boost tickets and merchandise sales by a ton. Manning/Johnson/Britt/FA WR (Wayne) is pretty dynamic if Britt comes back like his old self.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
If I'm Manning, I'm playing indoors with one of the best WR's in the league. Not sure how the Cards line is, but AZ is an easy choice for me. Look what Warner did.

Their line has been worse the last year or two than what Warner had. They tried to fit some RT in at their LT slot and that didn't go over well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 06:33 AM)
If I'm Manning, I'm playing indoors with one of the best WR's in the league. Not sure how the Cards line is, but AZ is an easy choice for me. Look what Warner did.

Terrible. And I'm being generous saying that. They will probably lose Levi Brown also.

Tebow to the Jags has been a discussion since he came into the NFL. It makes a ton of sense for Jacksonville because theyd probably generate a ton of local interest from Tebows college fans. Its also one of the few teams that has worse WR's then the Broncos but they also have one of the best RB's in the league. The Jags would probably be pretty bad for a while if this happened.

Do you know the financials of the deal? I was curious what kind of contract hed get.

Not to sure of the money yet. A radio rumor here in San Fran believes it will be a 3 yr/ 15M, with the last 2 years of the contact being back loaded.

Bengals: $49.9 million under.

Broncos: $44.7 million under.

Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.

Jaguars: $40.6 million under.

Chiefs: $32.5 million under.

Redskins: $31.1 million under.

Bills: $30.8 million under.

Seahawks: $29.8 million under.

Titans: $28.1 million under.

Bears: $22.6 million under.

49ers: $21.8 million under.

Browns: $17.4 million under.

Patriots: $16.2 million under.

Chargers: $14.9 million under.

Ravens: $14.45 million under.

Dolphins: $11.8 million under.

Colts: $11.6 million under.

Steelers: $10.5 million under.

Eagles: $9.6 million under.

Vikings: $7.9 million under.

Jets: $7.1 million under.

Falcons: $5.8 million under.

Packers: $5.4 million under.

Saints: $5.2 million under.

Cowboys: $4.7 million under.

Rams: $1.2 million under.

Giants: $3.8 million over.

Texans: $4.7 million over.

Panthers: $5.3 million over.

Raiders: $7.4 million over.

Lions: $11.5 million over.

Cardinals: $16.4 million over.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Mar 12, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
Bengals: $49.9 million under.

Broncos: $44.7 million under.

Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.

Jaguars: $40.6 million under.

Chiefs: $32.5 million under.

Redskins: $31.1 million under.

Bills: $30.8 million under.

Seahawks: $29.8 million under.

Titans: $28.1 million under.

Bears: $22.6 million under.

49ers: $21.8 million under.

Browns: $17.4 million under.

Patriots: $16.2 million under.

Chargers: $14.9 million under.

Ravens: $14.45 million under.

Dolphins: $11.8 million under.

Colts: $11.6 million under.

Steelers: $10.5 million under.

Eagles: $9.6 million under.

Vikings: $7.9 million under.

Jets: $7.1 million under.

Falcons: $5.8 million under.

Packers: $5.4 million under.

Saints: $5.2 million under.

Cowboys: $4.7 million under.

Rams: $1.2 million under.

Giants: $3.8 million over.

Texans: $4.7 million over.

Panthers: $5.3 million over.

Raiders: $7.4 million over.

Lions: $11.5 million over.

Cardinals: $16.4 million over.

This list does not include the cap space from last year that will roll over

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the NFL is taking away millions in salary-cap space from the Cowboys and Redskins for illegal front-loading of deals during the 2010 uncapped year.

The Cowboys will lose $10 million compared to the Redskins' whopping $36 million hit. Dallas was reportedly $4.7 million under the $120.6 million cap while Washington was in better shape at $31.3 million under. The franchises have the option of splitting the damage over 2012 and 2013, but it's still going to have a deleterious effect on the Cowboys' speculated interest in major free agents such as LG Carl Nicks, DE/OLB Mario Williams, and CB Cortland Finnegan and the Redskins' pursuit of Vincent Jackson.