2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:10 AM)
Aren't there a lot of head coaches who find success with their 2nd coaching gig?

I realize that the Bears don't hire head coaches with previous coaching experience, but maybe Emery can break that pattern if the price is right. If Rivera is let go in Carolina I would love to see him back with the Bears. He has not had big success yet and I would think that he would be a good candidate to blossom into a great coach. I don't believe that he would be that expensive yet either. Does anyone know if he burned any bridges (other than with Lovie) when he was let go before?

I don't see where Rivera is an upgrade or a guy you want to make a multi-year committment. If the Bears fire Lovie, they need to hire a respected name who has won before, something they have never done , or this is all going to be re-lived a couple of years from now. It might even happen if they do that.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:50 AM)
The standard is the playoffs(and greater goal is the championship), not what the fans want.

Neither goal have been met but once in the past 6 years, and there is one constant here and that is lovie. Emery needs to do what is right for the Bears and needs to rebuild an aging team into a playoff team again. That DOES include fixing the offensive line.

Who here was screaming to dump Forte? Who here is saying Lovie is an idiot for wanting Bush?

Go back to when Bush was signed, many wanted the Bears to walk away from Forte. There was a post earlier saying Bush was a signing Lovie had something to do with, and it wasn't a compliment. Who are they going to hire? Andy Reid? How many times has he made the playoffs lately? An assistant? These are the Bears. They will be paying Lovie next year if he coaches or not. Are they going to pay him and pay another guy big bucks to coach their team or will they go the cheap route? I'm guessing the cheap route. I'd rather be locked into Lovie one more year than the next Jauron or Wanne for 3 or 4. If they fix the line, Lovie gives them the best chance to win next year because of his defensive philosophy with turnovers. The defense is aging. When they stop getting turnovers, they lose. Lovie's teams take the ball away better than anyone.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:58 AM)
Go back to when Bush was signed, many wanted the Bears to walk away from Forte. There was a post earlier saying Bush was a signing Lovie had something to do with, and it wasn't a compliment. Who are they going to hire? Andy Reid? How many times has he made the playoffs lately? An assistant? These are the Bears. They will be paying Lovie next year if he coaches or not. Are they going to pay him and pay another guy big bucks to coach their team or will they go the cheap route? I'm guessing the cheap route. I'd rather be locked into Lovie one more year than the next Jauron or Wanne for 3 or 4. If they fix the line, Lovie gives them the best chance to win next year because of his defensive philosophy with turnovers. The defense is aging. When they stop getting turnovers, they lose. Lovie's teams take the ball away better than anyone.

Why so worried about what one poster said about Bush? who cares?

We all want a better coach DA, we dont want another Wannstedt. I think Emery would be stupid to hire an unqualified coach.

That doesnt mean i want to keep Lovie, i think it has run its course. The Bears need a coach that can get them to another level.

If I am the Bears, you throw the bank at Bill Cower. There isn't a better guy without a coaching gig. You give him whatever he wants money wise. Now, the Bears won't do this because (1) they probably won't pony up and (2) Cower probably wants more control than the Bears would be willing to give, but I can dream.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 09:33 AM)
@RapSheet: #Bears assistants are freaking out inside the building. Coach Lovie Smith's status is "not looking good." Decision time for #Bears.

OH HELL YES!!!! I realize Lovie is a average, maybe a little above-average NFL coach, but he just make the playoffs, which is the standard in the NFL. After that, I feel like football is so fickle, anything can happen.

So far Andy Reid(Eagles), Shurmur and Heckert(Browns), Gene Smith (Jaguars GM), Mike Tannenbaum(Jets) have lost their jobs

Sources say Romeo Crennel loses his job and Scott Pioli keeps his, Norv Turner and AJ Smith both also lose their jobs

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 09:37 AM)
So far Andy Reid(Eagles), Shurmur and Heckert(Browns), Gene Smith (Jaguars GM), Mike Tannenbaum(Jets) have lost their jobs

Sources say Romeo Crennel loses his job and Scott Pioli keeps his, Norv Turner and AJ Smith both also lose their jobs

Scott Pioli must have blackmail material on someone.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 30, 2012 -> 09:55 PM)
Meaning if lovie is out, emery cleans house. Nobody stays, he hires his own guys. Has nothing to do with what defense he wants. Just because a coordinator is doing well that doesn't mean you say he can stay.

I know you love the bears like I do and want that OC job to be desirable, it just isn't with Lovie remaining as head coach and no promises going forward.

It wasn't desirable last year and we got stuck with Tice. Reality is no one wants to be an OC under Lovie right now. That is why he was fired.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 10:44 AM)
If Lovie is gone, I for one, will not be saying he was an "average" coach. Any coach that takes his team to the SB with Rex Grossman behind center is better than average. I just hope they bring in someone proven, or the Bears could be the KC Chiefs fairly quickly.

Lovie Smith might have been the best Bears coach of my lifetime, but he hasn't earned a career free pass.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 03:36 AM)
How did the new guy do? Lost to NE in the playoffs just like Marty. Most of the names thrown around would want more power than just being the head coach, although many here say Lovie has that power. As for Andy Reid, what is so different about his teams' results than the Bears under Lovie? He did win 2% more of his games and like Lovie lost his only SB appearance. I don't see the Bears shelling out big money to him while paying Lovie another year just because Joe in section 429 doesn't think Lovie gets pissed off enough. If Lovie wasn't under contract next year, I could see change to make change, but this is the Bears, and if they are planning to hire a coach, history suggests we all should be careful what we wish for. A Dick Jauron clone could be next.

Ditka was not a good coach. That said, I don't give a rats ass that Lovie is calm. In fact, I kind of prefer that. I want Reid because the younger talent on the Bears is on offense and you have to evaluate Jay this next year. To do that, I want to know that you have brought in as good of an offensive mind as possible and Reid is as innovative and successful as it gets from the offensive side.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 06:10 AM)
Aren't there a lot of head coaches who find success with their 2nd coaching gig?

I realize that the Bears don't hire head coaches with previous coaching experience, but maybe Emery can break that pattern if the price is right. If Rivera is let go in Carolina I would love to see him back with the Bears. He has not had big success yet and I would think that he would be a good candidate to blossom into a great coach. I don't believe that he would be that expensive yet either. Does anyone know if he burned any bridges (other than with Lovie) when he was let go before?

Hiring Rivera as the head coach would be brutal.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 06:50 AM)
The standard is the playoffs(and greater goal is the championship), not what the fans want.

Neither goal have been met but once in the past 6 years, and there is one constant here and that is lovie. Emery needs to do what is right for the Bears and needs to rebuild an aging team into a playoff team again. That DOES include fixing the offensive line.

Who here was screaming to dump Forte? Who here is saying Lovie is an idiot for wanting Bush?

Bush got hurt but other then that he did his job in short yardage.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 10:01 AM)
Ditka was not a good coach. That said, I don't give a rats ass that Lovie is calm. In fact, I kind of prefer that. I want Reid because the younger talent on the Bears is on offense and you have to evaluate Jay this next year. To do that, I want to know that you have brought in as good of an offensive mind as possible and Reid is as innovative and successful as it gets from the offensive side.

The only teams that scored less points than the Eagles this year were Arizona, Jacksonville and KC. It would be the perfect Bears hire for more offense.

They will wind up hiring an assistant with no head coaching experience because they are the Bears.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 10:02 AM)
Hiring Rivera as the head coach would be brutal.

I really don't know that much about his coaching abilities although he seemed to have started to turn Carolina around the last half of the season.

I definitely do not claim to be any kind of a football expert (just follow it casually), but why do you, and others apparently, think that he would be brutal? Has he majorly screwed up in the past?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:07 AM)
The only teams that scored less points than the Eagles this year were Arizona, Jacksonville and KC. It would be the perfect Bears hire for more offense.

They will wind up hiring an assistant with no head coaching experience because they are the Bears.

I agree. It probably won't even be one of the top candidates. A lot of the names I see disgust me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 11:17 AM)
David Kaplan

Tremendously well connected source tells me this AM that even had GB won Smith would have been fired if Bears did not make deep playoff run

silvy said the same thing on am 1000 - said decision was made last week in arizona

and frankly im glad this is the case, couldn't let outcome of GB game make your decision

Bears are in need of overhaul. offensively they need a coach who is ready for 2013, not someone coaching a style from the mid 90s (tice, turner) or late 90s (martz)

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (balfanman @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 08:16 AM)
I really don't know that much about his coaching abilities although he seemed to have started to turn Carolina around the last half of the season.

I definitely do not claim to be any kind of a football expert (just follow it casually), but why do you, and others apparently, think that he would be brutal? Has he majorly screwed up in the past?

Good DC, not the best head coach. Lot of lockeroom issues in Carolina. Bad coaching decisions. I will give him credit for one thing, team played hard, but team also lost a ton of close games. A ton of them. They made a lot of stupid mistakes in those games and that comes down to coaching.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 10:22 AM)
Good DC, not the best head coach. Lot of lockeroom issues in Carolina. Bad coaching decisions. I will give him credit for one thing, team played hard, but team also lost a ton of close games. A ton of them. They made a lot of stupid mistakes in those games and that comes down to coaching.

Thanks Chisoxfn, I did not know that they had "locker room issues". I do remember his days as a host on "the Score" and he came across as very knowledgeable to me, but whatever, just a thought.