2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:00 PM)
And made a Super Bowl with Rex freaking Grossman as his quarterback. The only other starting quarterback in the last 15 years that was as bad as Grossman was Trent Dilfer and he played on a team with arguably the greatest defense of all time. It is nearly impossible to make a Super Bowl with a QB as bad as Grossman starting for you. Lovie will land on his feet, hopefully the Bears don't f*** up this hire but I fully expect them to.

He also had the league's best defense, special teams and a very good running game. Who cares about that one year anymore? We haven't done s*** since then and that's on Lovie.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night, while I was being a Packers fan, I was shocked to see Rodgers screaming at McCarthy over that challenge flag. We see a guy like Cutler yell at his teammates, sure. We even saw him do the unthinkable -- walk away from Mike Tice while he was talking to him. Have you ever seen any player get in Lovie Smith's face? Can you even imagine it?

This isn't a Lovie > McCarthy thing, we know McCarthy is a great coach in his own right. I do think there is something to be said for the way Lovie earned respect from his players, though.

Something like a .333 winning percentage against teams with winning records in Lovie's tenure. The Bears and their defense in particular feasted on turnover creation against weak opponents and that was never more evident than this season.

the tribune has a list of candidates. A couple on the list made me cringe, Caldwell and Gruden being among them.

Gruden may still have it in him, but after this MNF experience, I only view him as a caricature anymore, i cant take that guy seriously

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 06:16 PM)
the tribune has a list of candidates. A couple on the list made me cringe, Caldwell and Gruden being among them.

Gruden may still have it in him, but after this MNF experience, I only view him as a caricature anymore, i cant take that guy seriously

Lists compiled after 10 minutes of an event, typically not the most thought out.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
James Walker ‏@espn_afceast

RT @JamesWalkerESPN: Teams like CHI and SD will be much more attractive to coaches than Buffalo because franchise QBs are already in place.

Except that Fitzpatrick is going to be released (at a cost savings) which allows an incoming coach to pick his QB rather than go with very mediocre options in Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers.

Frank Thomas ‏@TheBigHurt_35

I hope the Bears have a magical crystal ball if they think 10-6 is easy to achieve!!

Charles Tillman ‏@peanuttillman

Lovie Smith is a man of God, integrity, and loyalty and that's how he coached. I had the and honor to work with him for 9 years. Sad day!!

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:26 PM)
Frank Thomas ‏@TheBigHurt_35

I hope the Bears have a magical crystal ball if they think 10-6 is easy to achieve!!

Charles Tillman ‏@peanuttillman

Lovie Smith is a man of God, integrity, and loyalty and that's how he coached. I had the and honor to work with him for 9 years. Sad day!!

At least Tillman isn't criticizing the move like everyone else.

Like Hester: I MIGHT RETIRE YOU GUYS GOT WHAT YOU WANTED BECAUSE THE TEAM DIDN'T DO WELL

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:21 PM)
Jim Miller said Nick Saban and Brian Kelly are on the Emery list.

Kelly would be awful. No NFL experience just lends itself to a disaster.

Saban probably would want too much control, but certainly has built programs in college and has NFL experience.

Brian Kelly should stay at ND.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 31, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Except that Fitzpatrick is going to be released (at a cost savings) which allows an incoming coach to pick his QB rather than go with very mediocre options in Jay Cutler and Philip Rivers.

Picking your own Qb and having them be good is pretty difficult to do.