2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:49 AM)
I understand what you are saying about his ideas, but i think his personnel dictates his playcalling. He wont be able to run his Nike factory out there anymore against the Converse kids. It will be interesting to see how he runs an NFL team though. I just dont know if I want to see the Bears as the guinea pig

Yeah, I can understand. It's a risk I would take, but I understand others preferring other candidates.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:38 AM)
I would be happy if Emery stuck with the NFL offensive minds, and if he brought in a Gruden/Holmgren/Cowher, that would work too.

I really don't understand this mindset. The NFL has changed more in the past 5 seasons than any other time over the last 3 decades, and people want to bring in old men who have been out of the game the entire time? New blood, please.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:03 AM)
I really don't understand this mindset. The NFL has changed more in the past 5 seasons than any other time over the last 3 decades, and people want to bring in old men who have been out of the game the entire time? New blood, please.

Well, part of my statement was new blood. The other was oldies but goodies. Plus, Gruden isnt exactly old

It's official.

Andy Reid in at HC in Kansas City and Scott Pioli is out as GM.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm super pumped about this. Andy Reid was the scapegoat in Philly. He's a good coach. We have the #1 pick in the draft and despite many people's perceptions, we don't have a bad team. 5 Pro Bowlers plus 2 alternates proves that the talent is present.

Can't wait for the draft in April

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:05 AM)
I hadn't though of that. Very similar personalities. Physically talented QBs who can't seem to win enough. Instead of swithing teams so often, Cutler has switched offensive coordinators, he still has time though.

So far, I think it is a good comparison.

Cutler's won a lot more than George has.

Other things of note: Cutler's more accurate, but tends to throw more picks.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:11 AM)
It's official.

As a Chiefs fan, I'm super pumped about this. Andy Reid was the scapegoat in Philly. He's a good coach. We have the #1 pick in the draft and despite many people's perceptions, we don't have a bad team. 5 Pro Bowlers plus 2 alternates proves that the talent is present.

Better use the pick on a QB.

It's official.

@JasonColeYahoo

Chiefs fans will be happy to know that Scott Pioli is out. Long-time GB personnel man John Dorsey appears headed to KC to work for Andy Reid.

I would be excited about this if I was KC fan.

It's official.

Congrats! I agree with you about the roster, and obviously Andy Reid likes it as well.

Will be interesting to watch!

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
Well, part of my statement was new blood. The other was oldies but goodies. Plus, Gruden isnt exactly old

I don't get why everyone wants Jon Gruden. The guy's a complete moron on MNF, and his career coaching record was basically the same as Lovie's (95-81). Sure, he won the big game, but he was nothing special over his last 6 seasons as a head coach after taking over Dungy's ready-to-win team in 2002.

In fact, after winning the Super Bowl with that hot-to-trot roster, the Bucs were 45-51 over those 6 seasons.

WOW SIGN ME UP.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:12 AM)

Take out GB and Cutler hasn't thrown a ton of picks. He has a couple games a year where he goes nutso on the picks. That isn't an excuse..Cutler clearly needs to step up his game.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:14 AM)
@JasonColeYahoo

Chiefs fans will be happy to know that Scott Pioli is out. Long-time GB personnel man John Dorsey appears headed to KC to work for Andy Reid.

I would be excited about this if I was KC fan.

Me too. That is a great situation.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
I don't get why everyone wants Jon Gruden. The guy's a complete moron on MNF, and his career coaching record was basically the same as Lovie's (95-81). Sure, he won the big game, but he was nothing special over his last 6 seasons as a head coach after taking over Dungy's ready-to-win team in 2002.

He is not my preference, I actually really want McCoy now that I have been reading these stories about him. I just think getting Gruden wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, but he is not my #1

I don't know about Reid being a scapegoat. He had a very talented team that underperformed for 2 straight seasons. His skill position players should match up with anyone. He made a horrible choice for DC, and his offense neglected it's great run.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)

In overall numbers but it's like Lovie Smith. and Marty Schottenheimer, good in the regular season but nothing to show for it. Neither QB really ever went anywhere. Maybe it's more leadership than physical gifts for both. Cutler still has time but he hasn't shown much yet.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)

They are both guys who haven't lived up to the hype. Find the thread the day the Bears traded for Cutler. The results haven't been what a lot of people thought. And just like in Jay's mind and the Sherriff's mind, it's probably everyone else's fault but their's.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
He is not my preference, I actually really want McCoy now that I have been reading these stories about him. I just think getting Gruden wouldnt be the worst thing in the world, but he is not my #1

i think mccoy is the favorite right now. the very first report we heard about coaching requests was for McCoy. Presumably, the bears got permission, and what was the next news we heard? That the bears were then trying to set up Keith Anderson, which would satisfy the rooney rule.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:23 AM)
I don't know about Reid being a scapegoat. He had a very talented team that underperformed for 2 straight seasons. His skill position players should match up with anyone. He made a horrible choice for DC, and his offense neglected it's great run.

Injuries crushed him this year. Lost most of his oline, his top wideout, QB and running back.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:22 AM)
There is nothing about Jon Gruden's coaching record that says anyone should want him. People just see him on tv and drool and say "give me" because they are familiar.

quit being a sad sally. you are just mad because you arent on a beach

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:24 AM)
In overall numbers but it's like Lovie Smith. and Marty Schottenheimer, good in the regular season but nothing to show for it. Neither QB really ever went anywhere. Maybe it's more leadership than physical gifts for both. Cutler still has time but he hasn't shown much yet.

You would have to say at this point he's a lot closer to George than the elite QBs many thought he was destined to become. Maybe the new system will make him an MVP candidate. It's happened before, but up until now, he's pretty much been a dissappointment.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:01 AM)
thats fine. its wrong, but thats fine.

Apparently St Louis and Tampa were all lucky when Lovie was there too.

Lovie was a linebacker coach at Tampa when Tampa was bad to average. And St. Louis didn't win because of defense. He made them better, but they weren't winning because of defensive touchdowns. Not sure how his prior coaching is relevant. Anyone who objectively looks at some of the defense plays made over the course of Lovie's career has to chalk it up as luck. I'm sorry, but winning games with Mike Brown interceptions for touchdowns or Hester returns for touchdowns is fluky. I'm not saying Lovie shouldn't get credit - he's a great defensive coach who has had/drafted/coached up good defensive players. But the his winning percentage is probably 10-15 wins (or more) too high if you take away some of the lucky plays. Calvin Johnson's bogus non-TD call last year, the late TD interception against the Panthers this year, etc.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
You would have to say at this point he's a lot closer to George than the elite QBs many thought he was destined to become. Maybe the new system will make him an MVP candidate. It's happened before, but up until now, he's pretty much been a dissappointment.

Agreed. That's why I said he hasn't shown it yet. However, he has had many different systems in which to win and hasn't shown it.