2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:10 PM)
Were those flukes? Or DJ's good coaching?

I dont think Ints are flukes, you do. I think it is a result of good positioning, smart plays, and there is a little luck involved in deflections.

But you seem to think it is luck, and only luck.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:12 PM)
I dont think Ints are flukes, you do. I think it is a result of good positioning, smart plays, and there is a little luck involved in deflections.

But you seem to think it is luck, and only luck.

Luck can be one or two games.

9 years is not luck. It isn't even particularly close.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 06:08 PM)
@MikeGarafolo

Sounds like Mike Sullivan and the Bears had a very good meeting the other day. Went six hours, about twice as long as expected.

I won't put too much into this, but...not a fan.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:15 PM)
I won't put too much into this, but...not a fan.

The Tampa offense did have some moments this season...for about a 5-6 game stretch they were on quite a roll...

Maybe zenryan knows a bit more about him...I know he is a Bucs fan.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
The Tampa offense did have some moments this season...for about a 5-6 game stretch they were on quite a roll...

How 'bout that Doug Martin guy?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:19 PM)
How 'bout that Doug Martin guy?

Yeah, he was outstanding...and they obviously added VJ this year too...I only saw a few Bucs games this year and I liked what I saw...but as I said, maybe zenryan can add some thoughts.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)

Yeah, I know, but to be OC for just 1 year, seems a little brash. I know he'd had a lot of experience with the giants, and I think that bodes well.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
No, it's when those interceptions literally win the game for you that it becomes a fluke. I mean seriously, when you watched that season when Mike Brown and the defense won 2-3 games in a row in the last 5-6 minutes, that's normal? That's not fluky? No one ever stepped back and thought "s***, this team is not nearly as good as their record, we got bailed out by those lucky plays?" Devin Hester returning kicks against Arizona - no one else though that was lucky the Bears came back and escaped with a win?

At some point yeah, you chalk it up to good players making good plays in a good defensive scheme. But everyone that paid attention to those games knew the team wasn't as good as the record indicated. And the reason is that everyone knew those wins should not have been wins because of those lucky plays.

Edit: and that final point is basically where we've been under Lovie Smith his entire tenure - you KNEW the team wasn't as good as the record because you KNEW how incredibly flawed the team was.

Wasn't the Mike Brown year Dick Jauron? That said Brown had a couple great years but I didn't remember him going ridiculous for lovie.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:52 AM)
No, it's when those interceptions literally win the game for you that it becomes a fluke. I mean seriously, when you watched that season when Mike Brown and the defense won 2-3 games in a row in the last 5-6 minutes, that's normal? That's not fluky? No one ever stepped back and thought "s***, this team is not nearly as good as their record, we got bailed out by those lucky plays?" Devin Hester returning kicks against Arizona - no one else though that was lucky the Bears came back and escaped with a win?

At some point yeah, you chalk it up to good players making good plays in a good defensive scheme. But everyone that paid attention to those games knew the team wasn't as good as the record indicated. And the reason is that everyone knew those wins should not have been wins because of those lucky plays.

Edit: and that final point is basically where we've been under Lovie Smith his entire tenure - you KNEW the team wasn't as good as the record because you KNEW how incredibly flawed the team was.

Isn't that a pretty damn good compliment to the coach. You are saying he outproduced his talent.

sullivan is an interesting guy - he's largely credited for helping Eli take the next step forward in NY, and helped Josh freeman-Vjax and doug martin to have a pretty nice year this year. I still prefer McCoy probably, and Arians being 60 years old scares me a little bit.

As much as anything, I think an understated issue is the question of who will these guys bring in as coordinators?? I know Emery said in his presser that if the HC isn't able to get his guy for whatever reason, that the current coaching staff could remain. I'd be fine with Marinelli staying (in fact that may be preferable), but I can't see Tice being brought back in any form

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:28 PM)
sullivan is an interesting guy - he's largely credited for helping Eli take the next step forward in NY, and helped Josh freeman-Vjax and doug martin to have a pretty nice year this year. I still prefer McCoy probably, and Arians being 60 years old scares me a little bit.

As much as anything, I think an understated issue is the question of who will these guys bring in as coordinators?? I know Emery said in his presser that if the HC isn't able to get his guy for whatever reason, that the current coaching staff could remain. I'd be fine with Marinelli staying (in fact that may be preferable), but I can't see Tice being brought back in any form

My guess is Emery would be open to keeping Marinelli and Toub...Tice is going to be gone...not sure about Bates or some of the lower-level coaches.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
quit being a sad sally. you are just mad because you arent on a beach

Not true at all. I do agree that McCoy seems like the best option who figures out how to score points regardless of talent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
That's just everyone coddling Cutler.

I agree with Boomer and it is why I want the Bears to hire a guy that has the clout to basically tell Jay it is put up or shut up time. If Jay doesn't put up, then the coach has the clout to say he isn't the guy and we should move in a new direction. I wouldn't trust Tice making that decision so they damn well better hire a good offensive coach who I do trust to make that decision. That is why I'd have loved Holmgren. Dude flat out knows QB's.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:38 PM)
That's just everyone coddling Cutler.

Boomer isn't a Bears fan. Cutler gets ripped on the national shows. Bradshaw tore him a new one. Bears fans always have excuses for him.

I was watching a show yesterday where one NFL "insider" said Cutler makes the Bears job the most attractive and the least attractive of all the openings, depending on the candidate, and the Bears can't hire a guy just based on his getting along with Jay because he might be gone in a year.