2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 07:54 PM)
Boomer isn't a Bears fan. Cutler gets ripped on the national shows. Bradshaw tore him a new one. Bears fans always have excuses for him.

I was watching a show yesterday where one NFL "insider" said Cutler makes the Bears job the most attractive and the least attractive of all the openings, depending on the candidate, and the Bears can't hire a guy just based on his getting along with Jay because he might be gone in a year.

National shows ripping Cutler? They must be right! What do they say about Tebow? Aren't the cowboys amazing?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)
Boomer isn't a Bears fan. Cutler gets ripped on the national shows. Bradshaw tore him a new one. Bears fans always have excuses for him.

I was watching a show yesterday where one NFL "insider" said Cutler makes the Bears job the most attractive and the least attractive of all the openings, depending on the candidate, and the Bears can't hire a guy just based on his getting along with Jay because he might be gone in a year.

Yes, the guy that Bears fans get pissy about the looks on his face on the sideline, is coddled.

The guy who saw controversy for yelling at one of his linemen is coddled.

The guy who was killed for being soft in the playoffs against Green Bay is coddled.

Seriously.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:05 PM)
Fans know far more about football than Terry Bradshaw or Boomer Esiason. Especially about what it takes to play QB.

Yeah, but his demeanor is ripped far more than his play is, especially by Boomer. Cutler definitely has his faults, he has been piss poor against the Packers since he donned a Bears uniform, and he has gotten plenty of flak for his faults sometimes moreso because of his attitude.

I think that is where it gets tricky, there are people that pile on(mostly called into the score and ESPN1000) that get so worked up over his facial expressions and their assumptions about what he is doing on the sideline, and then the people that defend him seem to go overboard because they know that while he can have one of those godawful 4 INT games, he isnt nearly as bad as the people that loathe Cutlerface say he is.

But to say that people in this area coddle him is totally false. Dont you remember the uproar when he shoved Webb after Webb was a turnstile in Green Bay?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
Fans know far more about football than Terry Bradshaw or Boomer Esiason. Especially about what it takes to play QB.

Nobody could question Joe Morgan or Tim McCarver

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
Yes, the guy that Bears fans get pissy about the looks on his face on the sideline, is coddled.

The guy who saw controversy for yelling at one of his linemen is coddled.

The guy who was killed for being soft in the playoffs against Green Bay is coddled.

Seriously.

Bears fans have excuses for Cutler and the Bears have also coddled him. Jeremy Bates? Boy that made Jay a better QB. There are always excuses for Cutler. He has one year left to show everyone what he is supposed to be.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:12 PM)
Bears fans have excuses for Cutler and the Bears have also coddled him. Jeremy Bates? Boy that made Jay a better QB. There are always excuses for Cutler. He has one year left to show everyone what he is supposed to be.

Yeah, calling the guy a wimp for tearing knee ligaments and following him down the Mag Mile to see how he is walking is totally coddling the guy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:15 PM)
Yeah, calling the guy a wimp for tearing knee ligaments and following him down the Mag Mile to see how he is walking is totally coddling the guy.

That is one guy. There are far more people that make excuses for the guy than hold him accountable.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:22 PM)
It wasn't one guy. It was pretty much all of Chicago.

can you resurrect the appropriate NFL thread? he was getting ripped plenty on this board for it.

edit: here, dick, go read pages and pages of pointless arguments over this:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...0460&st=960

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
can you resurrect the appropriate NFL thread? he was getting ripped plenty on this board for it.

edit: here, dick, go read pages and pages of pointless arguments over this:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...0460&st=960

Yeah, tons of crap in there. Embarrassingly bad.

I'm late to the discussion but I wanted to drop in my 2 cents on Jay and Lovie.

A lot has been said about Cutler and not living up to his potential/hype. It's hard to argue that that doesn't have to do with the O-line. Here's a fun fact, in his 2 seasons in Denver Jay Cutler was sacked a combined 38 times, the same amount he was sacked this year. You can't expect him to live up to the hype when he's behind the line he's had here in Chicago.

Lovie is a well above average coach, I wish they would have kept him and just brought in a damn good OC. He won the division in 2010 and got the 2 seed in the playoffs. Had injuries not crippled the team last year I think they could have managed to go 3-3 or better to end the year and make the playoffs. Then this year he managed a 10-6 record where his team was in all but 1 game all year.

04 was terrible but it was his first year and it included the likes of Jonathon Quinn, Craig Krenzel, and Chad Hutchinson as the the QB.

07 was bad but it had its share of QB controversy itself.

09 wasn't good but it was Cutlers first year.

05-Playoffs

06-NFC Champs

08- Just missed the playoffs again with Orton as our guy.

I'd even go as far as saying Lovie is a damn good coach. Just needed to pick a better OC and stay healthy.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:46 PM)
certainly a mixed bag there. Nowhere near all of Chicago.

So, a mixed bag then? Not all Bears fans making excuses for Cutler, but at least a "mixed bag's" worth of Bears fans making asinine attacks on Cutler for tearing his MCL but being too weak/a p****/not tough etc. to play through the pain? Because earlier you seemed to be implying that a good majority of Bears fans are always making excuses for Cutler and never criticizing him.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:52 PM)
So, a mixed bag then? Not all Bears fans making excuses for Cutler, but at least a "mixed bag's" worth of Bears fans making asinine attacks on Cutler for tearing his MCL but being too weak/a p****/not tough etc. to play through the pain? Because earlier you seemed to be implying that a good majority of Bears fans are always making excuses for Cutler and never criticizing him.

The goal posts keep moving...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:45 PM)
The point is that he does have bad mechanics.

He does try to throw too much to Marshall.

192 targets to Marshall in a season! (That number is just nuts)

To be fair, his other options were in and out of the lineup (Bennett, Alshon, Forte), and another one was Devin Hester (who also was injured). He was just throwing to the one guy in the lineup worth a s***.

The Bears' offense, on the whole, was just a huge clusterf***. I can't recall a game all season where the running game looked good. Can anyone else?? (Serious question). The offense sucked ass, and Jay Cutler was a big part of that. One thing I won't complain about was his throwing to one of the most talented receivers in the game.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 01:54 PM)
192 targets to Marshall in a season! (That number is just nuts)

To be fair, his other options were in and out of the lineup (Bennett, Alshon, Forte), and another one was Devin Hester (who also was injured). He was just throwing to the one guy in the lineup worth a s***.

The Bears' offense, on the whole, was just a huge clusterf***. I can't recall a game all season where the running game looked good. Can anyone else?? (Serious question). The offense sucked ass, and Jay Cutler was a big part of that. One thing I won't complain about was his throwing to one of the most talented receivers in the game.

As little as he targeted the TE's, it was too much.

How many interceptions were passes that were targeted at Marshall?