2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 04:13 PM)
that could be the difference between a critical third down or not.

It's also like saying the difference between a .250 hitter and .300 hitter is one hit a week or something. That's not actually the case.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 07:08 PM)
Source?

@RapSheet: BREAKING: Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the #Browns coach, according to a source informed of his situation.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Report: Chip Kelly close to deal to coach Browns http://wp.me/p14QSB-6SvH

i guess i should have said its close - not done

Edited by daa84

According to PFF (the source Emery cited in his press conference), these are the yearly pass blocking rankings for Jay Cutler's offensive lines as a Bear:

2009 21st (woo!!!)

2010 32nd (last)

2011 30th

2012 27th

In 2008 as he threw for 4500 yards, his Denver line ranked 6th. This was PFF's first year of compiling proprietary statistics like these.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 07:37 PM)
According to PFF (the source Emery cited in his press conference), these are the yearly pass blocking rankings for Jay Cutler's offensive lines as a Bear:

2009 21st (woo!!!)

2010 32nd (last)

2011 30th

2012 27th

In 2008 as he threw for 4500 yards, his Denver line ranked 6th. This was PFF's first year of compiling proprietary statistics like these.

On PFF's grading system, positive impacts are reflected in positive values and vice versa. A 0 would mean roughly average, neither a positive nor negative impact. For any statistic, +20 would be great and -20 would be just about the worst of the worst.

Our linemen overall:

Webb -0.8

Garza -5.6

Carimi -10.1

Louis -1.8

Rachal -12.1

Spencer -4.0

Scott -8.1

Brown -6.4

Edwin Williams -2.9

Pass Blocking:

Webb +1.4

Garza +1.9

Carimi -17.4

Louis +5.7

Rachal -1.0

Spencer -9.2

Scott -7.3

Brown -2.7

Williams +1.1

Our team rating for pass blocking is -22.2, which is horrible. However, a huge portion of that negative rating is wrapped up in our right tackle, which is just crazy. You may have noticed that our blocking became less of a factor after Carimi's benching, and these stats may explain why.

While things don't translate exactly from position to position (they said they are really working on this but it favors RBs a bit), Marshall led our team and was one of the highest in the league with an overall 21.3 rating.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:37 PM)

2009 21st (woo!!!)

2010 32nd (last)

2011 30th

2012 27th

Like my last post said, Cutler will go as far as the O-line goes. You can't expect him to live up to the hype or put up the same numbers he did in Denver behind the line he's had the last 4 years.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:05 PM)
On PFF's grading system, positive impacts are reflected in positive values and vice versa. A 0 would mean roughly average, neither a positive nor negative impact. For any statistic, +20 would be great and -20 would be just about the worst of the worst.

Our linemen overall:

Webb -0.8

Garza -5.6

Carimi -10.1

Louis -1.8

Rachal -12.1

Spencer -4.0

Scott -8.1

Brown -6.4

Edwin Williams -2.9

Pass Blocking:

Webb +1.4

Garza +1.9

Carimi -17.4

Louis +5.7

Rachal -1.0

Spencer -9.2

Scott -7.3

Brown -2.7

Williams +1.1

Our team rating for pass blocking is -22.2, which is horrible. However, a huge portion of that negative rating is wrapped up in our right tackle, which is just crazy. You may have noticed that our blocking became less of a factor after Carimi's benching, and these stats may explain why.

While things don't translate exactly from position to position (they said they are really working on this but it favors RBs a bit), Marshall led our team and was one of the highest in the league with an overall 21.3 rating.

Carimi better have been playing on one leg, because that is inexcusable.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:20 PM)
Carimi better have been playing on one leg, because that is inexcusable.

Rated as 7th worst T in football among all of those that played in at least 25% of their team's snaps. 3rd worst in pass blocking. Kind of absurd that they rated his run blocking so positively but his pass blocking was SO bad that it undermined his positive entirely.

When looking at our run game splits, we are positive when we run behind our RT (Carimi mostly), TE (they give Spaeth a very positive rating for blocking), and FB. LT was neutral, all 3 interiors very negative.

This website rules and it is even more comforting to know that Emery sees this too. I'll post more interesting things as I find them for all to see. I'll take some requests too if you're curious.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
Rated as 7th worst T in football among all of those that played in at least 25% of their team's snaps. 3rd worst in pass blocking. Kind of absurd that they rated his run blocking so positively but his pass blocking was SO bad that it undermined his positive entirely.

When looking at our run game splits, we are positive when we run behind our RT (Carimi mostly), TE (they give Spaeth a very positive rating for blocking), and FB. LT was neutral, all 3 interiors very negative.

This website rules and it is even more comforting to know that Emery sees this too. I'll post more interesting things as I find them for all to see. I'll take some requests too if you're curious.

It's like hey, we finally have a stats-oriented GM!

I'm probably gonna pay for the site next year to use it for fantasy football. :)

Edited by chw42

Jake Long rated exactly in the middle of the pack among tackles, just one spot ahead of J'Marcus Webb. Every other year they've done these statistics though, he's been absolutely awesome and number 2 more than once. A downward trend, though.

Ryan Clady is in the top 4, though. He was rated as terrible last year and good to very good every other year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:29 PM)
It's like hey, we finally have a stats-oriented GM!

I'm probably gonna pay for the site next year to use it for fantasy football. :)

Yeah I see they have a Fantasy Package, I'm not sure how it differs from what I purchased beyond the fact that it is different.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:26 PM)

Is there anything on there saying how he was at Guard?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 09:34 PM)
Jake Long rated exactly in the middle of the pack among tackles, just one spot ahead of J'Marcus Webb. Every other year they've done these statistics though, he's been absolutely awesome and number 2 more than once. A downward trend, though.

Ryan Clady is in the top 4, though. He was rated as terrible last year and good to very good every other year.

Where did Beatty end up on that list? If both him and Long hit the market I'd lean towards Beatty. He should come cheaper and could be just as good.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 08:34 PM)

I'll take whoever's cheaper.