2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 04:52 PM)
I wonder if this is more of a guy they might be looking at as a potential OC option. Would be really odd to pull this type of hire.

From what I read it doesn't look like he'll take an OC job...Sean Payton wanted to bring him in as his OC in 06 but he turned it down to be a head coach at NC State...Then he went to Canada.

Here's a good article on him deserving an NFL HC job.. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12399910

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 04:01 PM)
From what I read it doesn't look like he'll take an OC job...Sean Payton wanted to bring him in as his OC in 06 but he turned it down to be a head coach at NC State...Then he went to Canada.

Here's a good article on him deserving an NFL HC job.. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12399910

I believe he was only an OC at NC State.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
I believe he was only an OC at NC State.

Youre right, my bad. Interesting decision to turn down an NFL OC job to be a college OC...All that lead me to this article...

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-footbl/spec.../020105aaa.html

GOPACK: Who were your influences in learning the offense and developing your philosophy?

TRESTMAN: It's been a pretty long run of working with a lot of head coaches and a lot of different assistant coaches. I was in the league for seven years before I took three years off (to enter private business). When I came back into the league in 1995, I went to the San Francisco 49ers as the offensive coordinator. They were just coming off going to the Super Bowl. Mike Shanahan had been their offensive coordinator, and he left to be the head coach at Denver. During those years when Bill Walsh, Mike Holmgren and Mike Shanahan were there (at San Francisco), they always made tapes of how they installed the offense. My initial job there was to go watch those tapes and see how the offense was taught and implemented. I watched Walsh, Holmgren and Shanahan all teach it on tape. The development of where I am coming from comes through those three guys. The offense we ran in 1995 was the foundation of what Mike Shanahan did the year before. Then, as you get to know it, and you become more adept at it, you put your own twist to it. That took place as I was the coordinator at Arizona, when we went to the playoffs with Jake Plummer in 1998. And then again when I was with the Raiders, when we went to the Super Bowl in 2002. You kind of just put your own spin on the style of play that each and every other coach had when they were there. I never had a real mentor in learning the West Coast offense. My mentors were people like Bud Grant, who brought me into the NFL, and Howard Schnellenburger, who brought me into college football, and George Siefert, who kind of coached me and guided me when I was in San Francisco as a head football coach, in terms of how to go about getting to know the offense and assimilating it.

Those are 3 pretty good coaches to learn from.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 06:28 PM)
The question is, if Trestman had all this great experience with so many people in different levels, then why is he only getting his first shot at HC now? Seems strange that it has gone this long.

That seems to be the million dollar question....

Montreal must wonder when the NFL lures him back across the border.

If it's smart, it will be soon. But it won't. Trestman is not on anyone's radar in the NFL because, well, because there's this idea that he's bright and innovative and pieces together a nice passing game and all that, but that he really isn't cut out to be a head coach. He's too nice or too docile or too cerebral or just not head-coaching material, whatever that means.

The owner of the Allouttes had this to say on that (Though you wouldn't expect an owner to say different)

"I know he's seen as a good guy and a nice guy, but he has that voice to get someone's attention. And he can grab you real quick. He can serve as a 'father figure' to some of these guys, but at the same time he's able to discipline you real quick. Like 'Don't cross me.' Marc really knows his stuff."

So he sounds like the offensive Lovie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 07:53 PM)
The NBC Pregame crew has left me wondering why Ponder even starts if having Joe Webb in makes the Vikings this much more dangerous.

haha

guess NBC is scared casual fans will look for something else to watch tonight.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 5, 2013 -> 08:07 PM)
The Texans better find that extra gear, because the Patriots will tear them apart next week if they play like that again.

Cincinnati's defense was #6 on the year in yards given up, behind the #5 Bears and ahead of the #7 Texans. It's not supposed to be easy to move the ball against them. The Patriots are the 25th defense in yards given up. The Texans will be able to move the ball easier next week, they'd hope.