2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 07:01 AM)
Jerry Rice compares Trestman to Bill Walsh. It was a very nice hire for the Bears.

I got to meet Trestman when he was with the 49ers, he seem like a great guy

Look for the Bears to sign a guy like Mike Wallace, Trestman loves having 2 star WR's

If Mike Wallace takes a paycut, sure.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashlon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall are more like Rice and Taylor or Rice and Clark, than Marshall and Wallace would be.

Bears need a TE/Fb, they have nothing close to Rathman/Jones combo. Those old school 49er offenses relied a ton on short passes to not only the RB, but also to the TE/FB.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 09:24 PM)
And he won't be worth that in 2-3 years after his blazing speed goes away.

That said, it does amaze me he's able to continually produce despite it appearing he just runs streaks. I think he's a better receiver than given credit for.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:25 PM)
Ashlon Jeffrey and Brandon Marshall are more like Rice and Taylor or Rice and Clark, than Marshall and Wallace would be.

Bears need a TE/Fb, they have nothing close to Rathman/Jones combo. Those old school 49er offenses relied a ton on short passes to not only the RB, but also to the TE/FB.

Evan Rodriguez takes one of those spots, and I think he will excel.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Why not just get an actual TE that is good?

Rodriguez might be able to be that...but the real answer is "Because you get to sign 2 out of '1 offensive lineman, Henry Melton, and a quality starting veteran TE'".

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Why not just get an actual TE that is good?

How do we know Rodriguez isn't?

I know it's only 2 games and it's against a garbage opponents but watch and listen to the way the announcers talk about him.

I don't think he was given a chance last year.

Also said he takes one of the spots, I want Spaeth and Davis replaced...Another proven TE can also be brought in.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 02:56 PM)
Rodriguez might be able to be that...but the real answer is "Because you get to sign 2 out of '1 offensive lineman, Henry Melton, and a quality starting veteran TE'".

Or you just draft a quality TE because there should be a bunch in this draft.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 03:58 PM)
Or you just draft a quality TE because there should be a bunch in this draft.

In that case, it would seem sensible to do that and give Rod a shot as well, since the team already has his rights and there's room for more than 1 TE on a roster.

Of course, also worth noting that the Bears #1 and possibly #2 picks may be spoken for on other positions (OL, LB) and IIRC they're missing a 3rd.

So the new OC/OL coach and the STC/Asst HC were both interviewed to be Head Coaches, were they not?

I get the feeling Trestman had the job all along and Emery was crossing t's and dotting i's with the other interviews.

Not certain how it will turn out but the OC was a guy Lovie could never hire.

Looks good so far.

I love the folks that think Trestman is actually from Canada. f*** people are stupid.

So it appears that Marinelli is not staying. That's a huge bummer. If the "plan" was to go with an offensive guy as HC and then let Marinelli run the defense, how the heck do you not already know he's going to stay? That's bush league... especially if he leaves to be the d-line coach in Dallas. He'd take a lesser position to leave the Bears? That doesn't speak well for our new coach.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 16, 2013 -> 10:54 PM)
So it appears that Marinelli is not staying. That's a huge bummer. If the "plan" was to go with an offensive guy as HC and then let Marinelli run the defense, how the heck do you not already know he's going to stay? That's bush league... especially if he leaves to be the d-line coach in Dallas. He'd take a lesser position to leave the Bears? That doesn't speak well for our new coach.

Ah crap. Now this hire looks a lot worse.